Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Dave - NV
Dave - NV
Elko, Nevada USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SteveM Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Just got back from what is really the first ride of any distance on my Commando. I bought the bike as a rolling basket that would only run intermittently and with isolastics completely shot (I could wobble the back wheel .5" to each side).

Several years ago, I tore it down to replace the isolastics and decided to paint the frame while I was at it. Once I upgraded to new MKIII Iso's and started building it back, one thing led to another. You all know the story. Couldn't bring myself to put a junk part on a nice frame.

Anyhow, the Commando often took a back-seat to other projects and my busy work schedule, but I finally got it finished a couple of months ago. To date, I've only ridden a few short rides around the neighborhood or up to the gas station until I built up some trust in it.

This morning I took her out on a back-country ride. Probably about 50 miles. I have to say, that I like this bike to ride better than any other British Bike that I've owned. I've had a BSA RGS, and currently own a 66 Triumph TR6R. While both of these are fun machines, neither really has the combination of comfort and performance that the Commando does. What a sweet engine. Mine is a Combat spec engine and the darn thing just has the meanest growl to it. And man does it like to rev. Most high performance bikes I've ridden that have a rough edge to them. This thing doesn't. I guess you have to chalk that up to the Iso's.

Beautiful ride this morning, in perfect weather on a sweet British machine. This is what keeps me hooked.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Steve,
Good story. Let's get out and tear up some road before it gets too hot. :bigt:

LONG LIVE LOCKTITE

74 Roadster 880cc
1962 Norton 650SS
75 Ducati 860GT (currently up on blocks)
1968 Commando Fastback SN 126157
1975 Honda CB400f AHRMA racer #842
email addy: [email protected]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Steve, I too am getting more fond of my Combat and the Norton way of things, as I have now built or done significant refurb work on a half-dozen of them. They are kinda like hot rods in stock trim.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Boy I can see this comming from miles away. You guys are goners now. I've had my Commando for over 25 years now and many, many bikes have come and gone since then and Mr. Norton is still here. What more can I say?
Bill
And GP, thanks again for the head!

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I would agree that the Norton is probably the best Brit bike of the its era. They love to run and the grunt in the engine and smoothness of the chassis make for a great riding experience. I hope you continue to enjoy your ride. I see more Norton riders out and about than any Triumph or BSA. What does that tell you??? Any pics?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hey, tiger; I was wondering what you ever did with that head. So it worked out well?

I've sent parts to several different countries, I like hearing the stories of the projects they helped complete.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Sure, GP. Phil Radford a Fair Spares did his thing on it, while expensive, I should never have to touch it again. I've having real trouble putting any serious mileage on my three bikes even though I ride them all every week year round. 2k a year max, probably less. Tiny island syndrome.
Mr. Norton runs just like a new bike. I couldn't be happier.
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Phil is definitely a good guy. I've been buying boxes of Norton stuff every week from him lately.

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com