Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Big Island, Hawaii
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (gREgg-K, koan58, Steve Erickson, Stuart Kirk, Psychopasta, Hugh Jörgen, BobV07662, NDarwin, Magnetoman, Tridentman, bill50cal), 16 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,682
Posts782,987
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#739661 06/24/18 11:19 am
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
I was bitching here in the Triumph forums about the high price of vintage Triumphs...I can build a speed record Triumph for less money that buying a street bike...Well..I sold my 81 Honda 750 so what the hell, I bought a 79 Triumph T140 D from Ebay ..This bike purchase was not given any thought other than I turn 71 in a week and it's time for more bikes...The seller lives in Brooklyn NYC and I live in rural western New York state, about a 700 mile round trip...Should be no problem, I grew up in NJ close to NYC and know the area...NOT, a lot has changes in the 40 years since I moved away....So...

Ok, I drove down using directions from a guy who is a NYC tow truck driver, he knows every damn street...However I get lost....... Interstate 87 toward the NYC was 75 mph in moderate traffic.It was around 7 pm.. Piece of cake.I got blues playing on Pandora, a great night to travel. Then I approach NYC,Yonkers, and it all grinds to a stop.. inch along 10 feet at at time , bumper to fucking bumper literally...I have a manual transmission truck...This went on for about an hour until I thought what I saw was my exit...It was not and I would up lost in Bronx...Not a dangerous looking place so I found parking, stuffed the 3000 plus cash in my pocket, can't leave it in the truck, and walked a few blocks to a group of people on the corner, They were friendly and told me how to get back on the Brooklyn/Queens expressway...So I head there and find nothing.. In NYC ,major roads are not often marked with logical signs like everywhere else..Keep in mind it's Friday night and all roads are clogged with horn beeping impatient drivers....I revert back to being an aggressive NJ driver using my truck to force it's way through the mass of Prius taxi drivers giving me the finger.....I call the bike seller a few times for directions and finally got over Triboro bridge and find the Queens Blvd exit and to the bike seller who lives in a densely populated working class neighborhood...The bike seller and the crowded Brooklyn neighborhood was interesting.. All the stores selling anything you could want, guys smoking pork right on the street, and the smell of food from all over the world, the smell of marijuana....Everyone outside on a warm night... All cultures tolerating each other and sometimes intermixing....Everyone I talked to was pleasant..But the cars, everywhere was cars, parked cars and moving cars packed into every square inch.And motorcycles, Ducatis, and Harley dressers.... I left about 10 pm and headed into traffic jams until around Yonkers...traffic was dense and fast all the way back to the Tappan Zee and the ride back home was uneventful..
Me and the seller after we loaded the bike, I'm wearing the Triumph shirt and bad hair.... The seller is an enthusiast who has a 63 Triumph 650 used a a daily rider and has a 70 Commando he is working on. He doesn't own a car and the bikes are just parked n the street..... It was an excellent adventure...

[Linked Image]

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
“
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Well, that proves how much you really wanted another Triumph ! Good on you, Tony .
An adventure alright !

#irideslow
#irideslow
Great story, great adventure.

Kurt

- Don't believe everything you think.
Born To Run
Born To Run
I can only hope I have that sense of adventure, attitude, and joie de vivre when (and if!) I reach 71.

When I saw the topic, I thought it was going to be one of those bad jokes along the lines of "So a horse walks into a bar....."

Thanks for the tale!

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J Silver Jubilee
'82 T140LE TMA Royal
‘69 BSA Rocket 3 (patiently awaiting it's turn)
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
The Triumph at my house....I took for a short ride yesterday, no license plate no helmet......It ain't like my Ducati but I miss the Brit bike experience and it's good have one again...

[Linked Image]

“
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Also from NJ - Newark, Elizabeth,Little Falls - it certainly does demand a change in driving style to enter the metropolitan area, especially "the big city". The T140D has always appealed to me, with black and gold paint, lots of chrome and the mags. Congrats!

Al Eckstadt
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Damn man, cool story, and a nice bike, enjoy the ride

knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
Originally Posted by Al Eckstadt
Also from NJ - Newark, Elizabeth,Little Falls - it certainly does demand a change in driving style to enter the metropolitan area, especially "the big city". The T140D has always appealed to me, with black and gold paint, lots of chrome and the mags. Congrats!

Thanks guys.... I was from Newark and then Nutley....Used to drive into a City a lot...but always at night going through the Lincoln tunnel...And Manhattan not the other boroughs..I was temped to stay the night by Nori the bike seller and explore the neighborhood ...I could live there if I had to, but prefer rural areas...

“
DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike

[Linked Image]

[***], that motorcycle looks completely unmolested.

i really really really wanted one of those, back when they cost $2800.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This bike purchase was not given any thought other than I turn 71 in a week and it's time for more bikes...The seller lives in Brooklyn NYC

Great story....goes to prove that ( despite the News) good people live everywhere you go.
Also, nice take on "getting older". Seems everywhere I look these days guys are "cleaning out the shed, thinning the heard, etc."
I understand where they're coming from, I just turned 70 this last April myself & it IS possible to have just TOO MANY projects "awaiting work"!
But I also truly believe that riding & tinkering on these old bikes goes a long way toward keeping that " I'm just too old anymore" mind-set from sneaking in & taking hold.
Hell, I just got a call from an old friend the other day wondering if I was still interested in buying his 3/4 size milling machine.....he felt that at 91 he just might possibly be done with it!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My neighbor must be getting old, he just bought a power mower, the last 20 years I've lived here he's used a motorless push mower.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nice score!! those end of the Meridan/NVT bikes are real nice
Nutley wow BSA's and many Easters there for me. On L.I. till 1977. Easter with Uncle Nick and Aunt Lee Maurillo, boys Nick Jr., Raymond, Barry & Joesph

Uncle Nick owned the AMACO station in town and way later Ray opened a bar in town. My Mom grew up in Nutley, small world some days

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Remember Phil getting over the hill just means we are picking up speed!!!!! 65 last Thursday

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kevin roberts

[Linked Image]

[***], that motorcycle looks completely unmolested.

i really really really wanted one of those, back when they cost $2800.

Me, too, but I ended up with an SR500 Yamaha looking just like this for 1500$ out the door. 2800$ seemed stratospheric at the time.
Besides, I already had a hotrod '67 Bonnie.
These bikes still look good to me with the all black with gold pinstripes and the cast wheels. I thought they were totally current and stylish at the time.
Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
I remember the Nutley NJ BSA building..Has a display bike in the window but no one seemed to pay any attention to the place.. .....The first motorcycle I had was a 65 650 BSA in 1972...

This bike is pretty much unmolested like Kevin says,,,,Well my fun is over for now..The bike won't start, no spark, It has what looks like the original grease covered Rita Lucas electronic ignition control box...I'm doing a bit of trouble shooting right now....it's got battery voltage going in on the white wire,it's grounded to the frame, the two pick up wires have 650 ohms between them. Removed the pick up and wiggled it ,no change in the ohms...The coils have 1.8 ohms between the primary wires...Hmmmmm

“
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You might find a control box for it if it's done for. Or maybe not. Worst case, you can use an old Boyer analogue box but you won't have any advance. There's a couple of bikes here that run that way and they don't seem to give much trouble. You're probably big enough to start it fully advanced.

You might have a fussy idle, but not much else.

Or just swap it all out for a Pazon and be done with it.

Cheers,
Bill

PS Is that the original two into one exhaust? Now there's a mystery. How did it make through all these years with that on there? That was the first thing swapped out for a dual exhaust on these bikes.
B.

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 06/24/18 7:54 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Nice bike, nice adventure.
Good luck with it.

Saw a couple 3500.00 bikes at Oley Saturday but they weren't T140 Bonneville Specials!
I had a 1979 T 140 E for many years. It was a great bike!
Enjoy, Tony!

Lesya Ukrainka:
“He who has not lived through a storm/does not know the price of strength.”

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Congrats. That's a nice usable classic, and a really good looking bike.
Cheers
Don in Nigara Falls (Canadian side)

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I live about 5 miles from Nutley.
Having seen the address so many times in old manuals and parts lists several years ago I went to find it.
It was easily found (on a corner) and I took a few photos.
Guys who knew the building when it was the BSA Eastern HQ said that the basic building is unchanged.
It is now a beauty supplies warehouse.

Similarly in nearby Hasbrouck Heights I tracked down the HQ of the Berliner Corporation (importers of Matchless, AJS, Ducati etc).
A nondescript warehouse alongside the railroad.

But buying a bike for yourself as you clock up the years is a great idea.
About 7 years ago as I was approaching 65 I decided that as no one else was likely to buy me a retirement present then I would buy myself one.
I decided that I wanted another bike just like my second bike (in England)---a 1960 BSA A7 Shooting Star.

I couldn't find one the same color in US but eventually tracked one down in southern England.
Flew across, saw it, tested it, bought it and had it sent across to NJ.

Every time I ride that bike I am 18 years old!
Sorry to bore you all.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I don't find this stuff boring at all, TM! And I reckon many others wouldn't , either !

DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger

PS Is that the original two into one exhaust? Now there's a mystery. How did it make through all these years with that on there? That was the first thing swapped out for a dual exhaust on these bikes.
B.

i wanted that exhaust badly. MAP sold a 2-into-1 that was supposedly the hot setup to go fast, and my dealer carried an ugly setup that he sold for $120. but that was a lot of money. when my original 72 mufflers rotted away, i put a pair of those little shorty mufflers on and rode around everywhere making noise. later i bought an alphabet 2-into-1, which is still on the bike. but the 79 special did all that stuff from the factory, looked racer-fast without doing anything.

and i wanted an SR500 too. they still make them, but yamaha downsized them to 350 and keeps them in japan.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
...hi Tony, sure is a complete bike (and cheap!); something impossible to find here. Congrats.
Do you know why the seller preferred to sell the newer and not the other bikes?
No doubt that I could live in that hood.
I always check a vlog in youtube in which the guy rides a Ducatti. Pretty good to see some areas of Brooklyn etc.
May be to the other side, the beach side (rockaway etc)

knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
Originally Posted by reverb
...hi Tony, sure is a complete bike (and cheap!); something impossible to find here. Congrats.
Do you know why the seller preferred to sell the newer and not the other bikes?
No doubt that I could live in that hood.
I always check a vlog in youtube in which the guy rides a Ducatti. Pretty good to see some areas of Brooklyn etc.
May be to the other side, the beach side (rockaway etc)

The seller had three bikes and it was more than he could afford...He liked the 63 Triumph better and his 70 Commando project is just about finished...

“
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Cool "buy" story and adventure. Got me thinking of leaving the metro area and meeting a seller in the Pocono's on an exit off Rt 80 at 3am on the eve of Thanksgiving some years back. I took my oldest son with me to keep me awake on the 2+ hour drive to meet up with the seller who was "passing through the area". I recall my son thinking it through on the way there..... "Hey, dad, think they might shot us and take the cash?" like your adventure, all when well. No traffic but an adventure all the same

Lovely triumph you picked up, hope you have many safe miles with her!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tony,
Wondering if you knew my cousins who lived on Hawthorne Ave. in Nutley? Around the same age. Percy Hill (might have been known as Val then) had a Sportster and a few choppers. His sister, Patty Hill, a redhead, sang in a few bands. And baby sister Hilary.

Ed from NJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com