Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ludwig
ludwig
belgium
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
K
Sixty-seven-year-old delayed Monday's practice session

A Yorkshire pensioner will spend the rest of the TT in prison after rowing with marshals and delaying yesterday’s practice session (Monday).

67 year old James William Ford of Rangepark Road in Bingley appeared before Deputy High Bailliff Jayne Hughes this afternoon.

He admitted obstructing racing and failing to comply with marshals, becoming the first person prosecuted under the Road Races Act 2016.

The court heard the session was delayed by 20 minutes after Ford refused to move from his position in Crosby. ...

[READ MORE]
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/jail-term-for-tt-course-invader/

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
They do take their racing SERIOUSLY.

Banned from the island and deported!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
K
#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
K
Anyone we know?

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Yea Kurt...……….he's one of our regular posters

Just kidding

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
They do take their racing SERIOUSLY.

Banned from the island and deported!

They will jail you at the drop of a hat over on the Island.

He sounds like all the Yorkshire pensioners I’ve met.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
They rang the clerk of the course, who spoke to Ford only to be told “I’m not moving. If you send police, you’d better make sure they’re big lads”.

Ford did eventually move, crossing the course before police arrived and arrested him.

Well, they either sent the "big lads" (meaning ex-SAS), or one 5'2" meter maid with a stun gun ! laughing

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
15 minutes of fame, four weeks in jail, five years off The Island.
Sounds about right.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I just started listening to Manx Radio at work today.... Forgot about it but of course all the girls at work will probably start complaining by 10 AM. shocked

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by wadeschields
...of course all the girls at work will probably start complaining by 10 AM. shocked

Pooooor you! laughing wink

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
15 minutes of fame, four weeks in jail, five years off The Island.
Sounds about right.

Yep; the consequences of what would happen if this idiot "crossed the track" in front of a race bike would be pretty bad.

Even the animals on the island know not to get out on the track on race or practice day; it's been bred out of their genes.

Takes a old drunken Yorkshireman to be stupider than that. (No knock on Yorkshiremen in general, but this one's one of yours and you get to own him!)

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
DOPE
DOPE

there's a history of that kind of thing.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I had the privilege of serving as a course marshal last August at the Classic TT. On the first practice day they were short of marshals and could not start practice without a full staff, so I responded to their appeal for volunteers. Of course, I ended up on the mountain (Mountain Box specifically) where the temps were low and the wind was gusting 40 mph or so.

They do indeed take the rules seriously. After all, lives are literally at risk. When the roads close the status of the course changes from a public road to an official race course. Marshals have the power of arrest for anyone refusing to comply with the laws or the direction of any Course Marshal. They did advise us not to attempt an arrest unless we absolutely had to, recommending that we call police instead. From the pictures I saw it appeared that the man was actually restrained by the Marshals until the police arrived to arrest him.

I distincly remember the gravity of the feeling when the lead marshal turned to us and said "the roads are now closed and are now an official race course."

Me on the left with Cindy and Alex McLean:

[Linked Image]

With Lorraine Crussell and "Ad" preparing to serve as refuelling crew for Dave Crussell:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SteveM; 06/09/18 11:39 am.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I understand that there is quite an organization in place to enable those races.

We asked the corner marshals at one of the road junctions on the Sulby Straight if we could hang out with them, and they told us that would be fine and pointed us to a section of wall right on the track; "just don't hang your legs over on the track side".

We chatted with them while the race bikes were headed there from Douglas. First the "travelling marshal" came by on a bike; the travelling marshals, they said, have to be qualified racers, and ride bikes with lights but capable of 150 MPH, and that's about what he was running when he came by us. Then came a marshal automobile, running about 130 and doing the final clearing of the track. They said that the course marshals number about 500 to enable closing and monitoring of all the junctions.

These were serious guys, and I can't imagine them taking any nonsense off of a drunken spectator. If anyone gets on that track during practice or a race, several people are going to die right there .....

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Lannis
I understand that there is quite an organization in place to enable those races.

We asked the corner marshals at one of the road junctions on the Sulby Straight if we could hang out with them, and they told us that would be fine and pointed us to a section of wall right on the track; "just don't hang your legs over on the track side".

We chatted with them while the race bikes were headed there from Douglas. First the "travelling marshal" came by on a bike; the travelling marshals, they said, have to be qualified racers, and ride bikes with lights but capable of 150 MPH, and that's about what he was running when he came by us. Then came a marshal automobile, running about 130 and doing the final clearing of the track. They said that the course marshals number about 500 to enable closing and monitoring of all the junctions.

These were serious guys, and I can't imagine them taking any nonsense off of a drunken spectator. If anyone gets on that track during practice or a race, several people are going to die right there .....

Lannis

The traveling marshals are indeed impressive fellows. On speed controlled practice runs they lead/moderate the racers and evaluate the "newcomers." We worked closely with 'Milky' Quayle who was the consumate gentleman. Here's a pic of Milky:

[Linked Image]

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Lucky for that fellow that the Isle of Man no longer uses the birch as punishment ! .....

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Presumably after the milky bar kid?

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by AngloBike
Presumably after the milky bar kid?

Yes. Exactly. He apparently loved them and was often seen eating one in the paddock.

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com