Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
royaloilfield
royaloilfield
Trenton, New Jersey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#730953 04/05/18 1:17 pm
K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
Back in the day, a mate of mine retired, no big deal about that. Just the fact he was just a boy, thing is he was a Policeman, and them lucky buggers call it a day when they're just into puberty, or so it would seem. And as a treat he got himself a bike, and being a mate, he let me have a go on it...WoW..! What a machine, all your arms and legs had stuff to do, just to keep it on the road, bloody marvellous it was... wink

So as the years rolled on, we lost touch, but that memory stayed in me noggin, till last year. Saving for my retirement I got a shock, bloody interest rate on me cash wasn't enough to buy a beer with. Sod this, thought I, them buggers will rob me blind. I'll be all old and worn out, and won't have any memories, as the last of the Oxygen runs out. And THAT children just isn't me... wink

So the Lovely Janette and I had a *Talk*, and she was all for it, so the search was on.... :bigt

And as we ALL know, when you're looking you can never find it, when you're NOT looking you'll see millions of the things. Who best to ask..? Who do we ALL know that buys and sells bikes weekly..?...Kev, or as the Muvafuka's call him, Big Yin the Soup Dragon. He'll know, so ask I did, and he said, which I SHOULD'VE known. Join the club, they'll have one I wager...

So club joint, and one they had, but I just wasn't ready, it was a 'Mind' thang, just had to get me mind right. So I left that one be, and had a good thinking session. Then in October of last year, I had me old chums over from the US, I just happened to mention what I had in mind, the Big Virginian scratched his White beard thoughtfully and said, worry Not boy, we'll find y'all one. But the lad from PA said, hang on Dude. I've got a place around the corner from me, when I get home I'll pop round there and ask...

So the wait started, and a week or so later an Email informed me...They don't have one in PA, but they know of a lad in CA that has one, more Emails followed, checking of the guy was done, luckily BSA contacts in California, along with Tom's contacts meant this lad wasn't going to *Rip* me off in a hurry...

Next thing, I'm down the bank, getting them to roll up Pound Notes, squeezing them down the wires, and around the Atlantic they turned into American Dollars, once the bank was empty the wait started up again, and BOY what a wait. Me pooper was pouting like a good un, what if that bloke was ripping me off..? An advert came up on the magic lantern, about £300ish to fly to California. Now there's a thought, I could fly over, break his legs and smash his shop up, and show him what happens when you rip off a truck driver that grew up around the East End of London... grin

Or nail his head to a coffee table, and get Doug and Dinsdale to show him the score..? NONE of which was needed, due to an Email saying, PAY YOUR SHIPPING COSTS...

The bike was rolled into Schumacher Shippers in Long Beach, and nailed to the deck of the MSC Caterina, it was on the way..! They gave me a tracking thing, so I watched it leave Long Beach, then get to Mexico somewhere, then Panama, then over to Europe, where it went up and down Italy. Bloody thing did more stops that Father Christmas...

So I gave up tracking it, far too much of a wind up, FINALLY I got an Email with a Release, and a date for collection. So young Marcus, or Accent as we call him got his van and took me up to Felixstowe to get me bike. But first one of them Eat As Much as you can breakfasts...

[Linked Image]

Look there's a Ship in dock, that's what the ship with me new bike must've looked like...

[Linked Image]

And over yonder a ship we've been on, it's going from Harwich to the Hoek Van Holland...

[Linked Image]

Then we got to the warehouse where they had the bike, and everything else us Brits bought from California, some wonderful stuff in there...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bloody marvellous, and did you spy my new bike...? NO..! Well its here....

[Linked Image]

A 1940 Indian Sport Scout, once owned by Jerry Hatfield a famous Indian writer, published a ton of bike books, search for him in Google. FINALLY me looking it over before throwing it in the fettling shed....

[Linked Image]

From start to finish it's taken 4 months, LOADS of money and a pile of angst, now the real work begins, getting it registered for the road over here, hoops need to be jumped through, and no doubt even more money. BUT, it's worth it... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Congratulations lad! Now that's a looker!
When we gonna get a ride report? With pics of course!
Cheers
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Shaun lad, that bike looks marvelous, that smile on your face will probably last for months. :bigt

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
clap

Done is done, now comes the fun!
Good on you Shaun, glad it made it to its new home safely.
So thats a beer you owe me then.

beerchug

OR a bottle of that Black Cow Milk Vodka....

#eyebrowwiggle #winkwinknudgenudge

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Life member
Life member
That's fanforkintastic...and i'm jealous.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by No Name Man
That's fanforkintastic...and i'm jealous.

Double what he says Shaun!! :bigt :bigt

May you have many happy miles and memories on it.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

M
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
M
Cool story and ride you have there, I see your already to go with the Indian shirt on under that jacket...LOL

K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
Thanks dudes... wink

That *Indian* shirt was bought for me by the Prospect, he said to wear it when I got the bike, so I did... grin

as for a 'Ride' report, well, that'll take a while yet, it's not road registered over here YET. And that process takes a while, its a paper chase filled with idiosyncrasy and a sprinkling of BS.. facepalm

Then of course I've got to learn how to ride the bugger, foot clutch and hand shift, along with the starting procedure will take some learning I wager. But it's booked on the ferry for the MTO Rally in Oostende Belgium already, should have it all worked out by then, cos that's in September... laughing

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
It looks fantastic Shaun, congrats

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'm not at a confuser that lets me see the pictures now Shaun. Is yours a left hand or right hand throttle?

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
You did well, Kent.

Hatfield is/was indeed one of the experts on Indian motorcycles, and ANY "Sport Scout' is RARE, because so many were destroyed in AMA flat track racing.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
What a great motorcycle. Good on you, KS.

Life member
Life member
I've never done it but I understand it's fairly easy to swap the throttle and advance side to side...

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Had a chance to ride my wife's cousin's '48 Cheif....

With that foot clutch, I wonder how soon you are gonna attach a chair......

K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
MikeG lad, as this has the shift on the Left, the throttle is on the Right. BUT lad, and that's a big but you'll notice, IF it was a left hand throttle. I wouldn't swap it over, it's an easy job of about 10mins, but I'd want to keep it as original as possible. And once learnt I wouldn't have a problem with it, like I don't swapping from Guzzi or Harley to BSA gears... wink

And as my Policeman mate's Injun was a left handed throttle I was HOPING this one would be, I love a challenge when using a road vehicle, keeps ya on your toes...So there's NO WAY, am I nailing a chair to the bike, just cos I can't use a foot clutch, I'll bloody well learn how to use it, and that's that. Otherwise I might as well get something with foot gears hand clutch and an electric start, and I've already got two of them buggers... shocked

Thanks for the challenge though, I remember when I got my M21 outfit, had someone on a screen say to me, you'll kill yourself with one of them bloody things, then he proceeded to spin yarns about how the chair lifts, when going around a bend, and how people smash into things doing that very thing... shocked

After a week or three, I did the VMCC West Kent event, and I won the Sidecar Gymkhana, an event showing handling skills... grin

So that foot clutch and hand shift, will HAVE to be learnt, and no messing. Them country lanes around here need all the concentration I can muster... :bigt

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Now that is one sweet looking machine. Can I have a go? I'll be careful laugh

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Love it ☺☺☺

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Looks a lot of of fun mate, enjoy the experience :>)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[quote=Kent Shaun]
Thanks for the challenge though, I remember when I got my M21 outfit, had someone on a screen say to me, you'll kill yourself with one of them bloody things, then he proceeded to spin yarns about how the chair lifts, when going around a bend, and how people smash into things doing that very thing... shocked

After a week or three, I did the VMCC West Kent event, and I won the Sidecar Gymkhana, an event showing handling skills... grin

Sometimes an Indian just cries out for a sidecar, not so in your case I think. But you got me thinking again about my very first motorcycle ride when I was just small fry. That's me checking out the seat covers in the chair while my brother mugs for the camera and Joe, the owner, tries to console his son Fred about having to ride on the bike instead of the car as we still had to make room for my dad. Any guess on the year?

[Linked Image]

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Shaun's instincts in NOT putting a chair on that bike are correct.

This is a Sport Scout 750cc, NOT a Chief or Roadmaster. It was Indian's best handling and best balanced bike, according to the old-timers who rode them all, and as has been mentioned, the one that (when it went racing) competed against Harley WRs in the original Daytona and midwest horsetrack racing of the day.

I think it's going to be perfect for riding anywhere in England. I sometimes trip on my own shoelaces, but I learned a handshift/foot clutch on my old Harley and once you get used to it, it's perfectly natural, no harder to learn than a GP shift pattern on a Brit ...

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by MikeG
[quote=Kent Shaun]

Sometimes an Indian just cries out for a sidecar, not so in your case I think. But you got me thinking again about my very first motorcycle ride when I was just small fry. That's me checking out the seat covers in the chair while my brother mugs for the camera and Joe, the owner, tries to console his son Fred about having to ride on the bike instead of the car as we still had to make room for my dad. Any guess on the year?

[Linked Image]

First guess 1959.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
It reminds me of my first ride. Would have been on Christmas Day sometime in the early '60s. I would have been 6 or 7. We lived in Montclair, NJ then. After opening presents at our own houses, my father's side of the family would all get dressed up and tromp over to his Aunt Babe's house in Verona for Christmas Dinner. My female cousins in velvet dresses and Mary Janes and me and my male cousin's in ties and short pants (we were all pretty young for the most part). While the older faction was inside guzzling cocktails and fomenting domestic discord, us younger types were running around outside participating in the family touch football game known as the "Toilet Bowl" with our older teenage relatives. Babe's husband Oscar, got tired of the indoor activities and decided to give all of us pee-wees rides on his '53 Indian Chief, an ex-NYC police bike. It was a mighty machine with the Hi-beam switch on the floorboard. Well, it was a cold day, with piles of snow here and there on the road, which didn't deter Oscar a bit. We all had great fun, roaring about the neighborhood and the yard (he had a big yard). I suspect that Oscar might have had a few drinks, but we didn't care quite as much about those things then. Eventually, our parents came out, saw our blue legs, tire marks in the snow and skid marks on the driveway. As parents will do, they all seemed to think we were all having entirely too much fun and put an end to things. While Christmas at Babe's continued for a few more years, the Indian stayed in the barn.

Ed from NJ

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
What a marvelous story! I hope she turns out to be a great machine and you're happy with it for the rest of your days.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Lovely looking machine Shaun and I hope the registration goes through smoothly. How's the spares situation over here?

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Shaun lad I gotta say: the more I look at that blue, the more I like it. Seafood Blue, I think it was... ?

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com