Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Chip205
Chip205
Southeastern PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dr.ona Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
What motorcycle did Clint Eastwood use in the movie "Magnum Force"?
I read that the police motorcycles are 1971 Moto Guzzi V750, but is Clint riding a Triumph?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Notice the rock set up under side stand. smile He did not tickle it. It did not want to start. The other guy did not either. It would have been a bit of cache if Clint had. Just shows a tickle in time saves nine (kicks). He must have been off it for awhile.

Nice hard bags. They saved his leg. Must be terrible on the highway though, with the added luggage rack.

Last edited by btour; 12/16/17 5:37 pm.

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
B
bon Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Did any American police forces use triumph or other british bikes ?

D
dr.ona Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Found the "real" unedited footage.. laughing

B
bon Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
The guy chasing cliff, jumps a guzzi, but lands a triumph in the drink.

Born To Run
Born To Run
Coogan's Bluff is another Clint movie with Triumphs:

Pretty sure the bike(s) used in Magnum Force were T100's and T120's

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited by JubeePrince; 12/16/17 9:01 pm.

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
He was supposed to have a TR6. Looks like one carb to me. No tickle and holding the throttle closed. Watch the side stand flex. And man is he leaping. Starter at 11:00 too, and he is tall. Lol,he must have known it would not start like that. Did it for suspense. See if you can see the cut when they tickle it.
I suppose they left it on the side stand, on the rock, so he would not dump it.

I can relate to that scene, though. Maybe it needed a key switch and the clutch adjusted. smile But definitely needed a tickle.

Last edited by btour; 12/17/17 12:17 am.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
It's interesting that that bike CHANGED INTO a Triumph for the chase scene. What was supposedly the same bike used by one of the other cops earlier on was then either a Guzzi or a Kawi. That is, there were no Triumphs in the squad.

In many movies of that era, it's clear that Triumph was the number one choice of stunt riders. (And BTW, that scene was started by Eastwood but finished by a stunt double.)

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Eddie Mulder was one ? of the jump/stunt riders- Hughie Hancox also mentioned this episode in his book:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&am...eD9o_YAhUJ_IMKHdf2Di4Q9aACCEE&adurl=

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
As Mark Z says Triumphs were invariably used at that time in movies as whilst being a large capacity with presence, they were light and manoeuverable. So great for doubling up as a US police bike (and actually used by the majority of UK police forces at that time). I remember the US Triumph ad at the time ran something like "Nothing handles like a Triumph. Nothing".

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
It 's fairly common on cheap films that something like a full dresser HD changes into a jap trail. Bike and back again for jumps

A
AML Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Every time (well almost), I pass the Cloisters on the West Side Hwy. I think of Clint.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Mark Z
It's interesting that that bike CHANGED INTO a Triumph for the chase scene. What was supposedly the same bike used by one of the other cops earlier on was then either a Guzzi or a Kawi. That is, there were no Triumphs in the squad.

In many movies of that era, it's clear that Triumph was the number one choice of stunt riders. (And BTW, that scene was started by Eastwood but finished by a stunt double.)

Besides handling, Triumph sounds the best. In many movies, where you see a Harley, they have substituted the sound track for a Triumph. Such a sweet sound. Energetic and throaty.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...I always wondered how in many Hollywood movies trash and ruin fantastic cars and motorcycles, included Jaguars, Porsches, et all (why not trash a common crappy car?). Here they dig that motorcycle.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I have been told that filming the "Dukes of Hazard" TV series destroyed about 70 Dodge Chargers, and the TV film company established its own body shop to make repairs on the ones they could salvage from previous wrecks.

And did anyone else notice that in the "Then Came Bronson" TV series of 1970-71, the stunt scenes were usually done with a Harley 250cc "Sprint" and not the Sportster he rode on the street and used in close-ups?

DOPE
DOPE
they destroyed three 50 mercs to make cobra, with stallone.

junking three of those was way too high a price for that POS motion picture.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T

[And did anyone else notice that in the "Then Came Bronson" TV series of 1970-71, the stunt scenes were usually done with a Harley 250cc "Sprint" and not the Sportster he rode on the street and used in close-ups?[/quote]

Back when a small bike shop opened near the small town I grew up in, the name of the shop was "Bronsons' Rock". The owner got a kick out of Bronson forging/ repairing a piston in the campfire, using a rock as a hammer.

Last edited by tiumphdave; 12/17/17 8:05 pm. Reason: spelling
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by tiumphdave
The owner got a kick out of Bronson forging/ repairing a piston in the campfire, using a rock as a hammer.

Hmmm ... judging by some of the tales on internet forums, some dpo thought that was real ... cool

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Magnum P.I. used "kit cars" based on a Fiero chassis in place of the 308 for the more "aggressive" driving scenes. I heard they used Chevy engines because the Ferrari motors were blowing up so often.
There was an episode in Bronson were he tried to round up horses by riding circles around them (which somehow did not work) and promptly ran into a ditch bending the forks. The rancher heated the stanchion up in a bellows fire and pounded them straight. Did not even need re-chroming to look shiny. Why has nobody here thought of that?

knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Magnum P.I. used "kit cars" based on a Fiero chassis in place of the 308 for the more "aggressive" driving scenes. I heard they used Chevy engines because the Ferrari motors were blowing up so often.
There was an episode in Bronson were he tried to round up horses by riding circles around them (which somehow did not work) and promptly ran into a ditch bending the forks. The rancher heated the stanchion up in a bellows fire and pounded them straight. Did not even need re-chroming to look shiny. Why has nobody here thought of that?

A Fiero based kit can use the stock Fiero engine to avoid the complexity and expensive of a Ferrari engine/transmission installation.. That would be the Pontiac designed 2.5 push rod four cylinder or the last years of Fiero used a Chevy pushrod 2.8 V6...The 4 cylinder Fiero was recalled due to engines blowing up and the hot oil catching fire....The Fiero ,despite it's GM parts bin engineering, could generate very high cornering G's that starved the sump oil pick up , it would spin a rod bearing and then the red hot rod exited the engine block...I can see using a Chevy small block V8 in the kit cars because there's a kit for installing a Chevy V8 in stock Fiero's...And if your real Ferrari 308 original engine lunches, a few have installed Chevy V8's...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Royal Enfield Indian Pashley Patrol Car three wheelers were used by meter maids in Toronto Canada and since A full line of Royal Enfield Indians were sold in the US from 1955 until 1960 I would guess they were used in American cities. I have read that 1959/60 RE Indian Chiefs were used by the NYC police force. Legend has it that the Thunder Bay police (Ontario) had a number of Brough Superior police bikes in the 1930s.
Don
Originally Posted by bon
Did any American police forces use triumph or other british bikes ?

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Steve Mcqueen also insisted on riding a Triumph TR6 Tophy which had to disguised in "The Great Escape" smile smile

Always remember there are 3 kinds of people in this world,those that can count & those that can't.
T140V 1974
GT750 1974
GT550 1974
TL1000 97s
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Did anyone notice that in the originally posted Magnum Force video Clint changed front brake drum from an early model to a later model between the time he began riding away on the bike and when he made the turning pass in front of the camera?

Last edited by SteveM; 12/20/17 1:26 am.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Yes, and changed back again after he crashed. That was back when sliding on the frame made more friction than the Triumph front brake.
If you look at 1:21. the other guy jumping has the bike almost 30 degrees nose up but lands almost flat.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com