Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Alex
Alex
Seattle
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
That was a lovely thing, TR65, with bore and head as 750, but a shorter stroke.
It was smooth, revvy, and quick, much more high rev potential than a standard 650.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
When your young, your allowed to do things I wouldn't do now. 1971 on a 1967 TR6R, started the day in Eureka Ca and went non stop and by myself to Santa Ana via 101 and CH1, guess about 650-700 miles. Had a primary lead inside the points cavity split the insulation (repaired with a band aid) speedometer needle popped off and lost a muffler somewhere on the Ventura Freeway. Only stopped for gas, bits to eat and coffee. All night on a bike is interesting.

1967 TR6R
1972 T100R
DOPE
DOPE
i think that the older you get, the less common sense should intrude in what you do. right now i just don't have time to tour on any of my stuff, so i try to compensate by going fast around the neighborhood and making lots of noise.

last trip i took was on my 1972 T120, from oklahoma through kansas to 11,000 feet above crested butte in colorado, then down through the desert to phoenix and back through new mexico to oklahoma again.

when the kids are all comfortably in school and out of my hair, i might as well do it again.

maybe on the 441 victor.

lol

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Originally Posted by skidog
When your young, your allowed to do things I wouldn't do now. 1971 on a 1967 TR6R, started the day in Eureka Ca and went non stop and by myself to Santa Ana via 101 and CH1, guess about 650-700 miles. Had a primary lead inside the points cavity split the insulation (repaired with a band aid) speedometer needle popped off and lost a muffler somewhere on the Ventura Freeway. Only stopped for gas, bits to eat and coffee. All night on a bike is interesting.

Hmmmm. bet there was in filly in the story somewhere.....

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
D
Britbike forum member
Online Confused
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by BrizzoBrit
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Originally Posted by BrizzoBrit
I know it's Triumph thread, so I have resisted. But I do long trips on my A65. Best one yet 2000 miles over 10 days with some stopovers. 250 miles a day is easy & comfortable, 350 is a hard day's ride (for me). Did 150 miles in one sitting last trip (about 3 hours) so the old girl is pretty comfortable. Semi rear-sets and british touring bars. Gets comfortable with the wind support for the upper body at 60-70 mph. Bit of a load on the wrists around town.

I find it easier than when I was young - must be all the dead nerve endings smile As Don said ear plugs are the way to go.

Ray

Does this have a five speed gearbox? My mongrel Triumph 650 (4 speed box) would probably shake itself to bits at a prolonged 70mph

21/47 final gearing. Pulls about 4k at 60mph which is close to the sweet spot. 65 - 70 is my preferred cruising speed. Gets a bit vibey over 70mph. Too many Mr Plods around these days to do long periods at much faster. Funnily enough, without wanting to jinx myself the only trouble I have on long trips is things cracking, exhaust pipes, mudguard stays, coil brackets. Nothing a good stock of cable ties cant fix. smile

Ray

Thanks Brizzo, I'll need to get into the primary chaincase next year so I'll check which gearbox sprocket I have then. It certainly feels as if it will pull a higher 4th gear.

SteveM Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by koan58
Steve, I can only assume that you find twin carbs beyond you?
That you find 2 carbs so much trouble does suggest that you stay in single-world.
Sure you wouldn't prefer the single leading shoe brake?
To say "half the problems" is absurd, a little extra care and understanding is all that is required to bring the edge out of these lovely animals.
Has your "half a bonneville" ever gone anywhere of significance? Dave

I meant to answer this and forgot.

You assume wrong.

I own eleven motorcycles and maintain all of them. I've built four of them myself. Four of the bikes are BMW's with all (but the single) with dual carbs. I've done my share of carb cleaning, re-building, tuning, and balancing.

I have a 66 TR6R with a single carb and find it ideal for street riding. No issues with carb imbalance. Can I balance carbs? You bet I can. Do I want to on the side of the road? No.

Do I prefer sls brakes? Don't be silly.

What's my "half a bonneville?" Surely you don't mean the TR6R.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com