Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Chip205
Chip205
Southeastern PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#717162 11/29/17 11:32 pm
M
Mori55 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
I’m putting the clutch back in. I put the thrust washer on then basket and rollers. Now when I install the hub and tighten it up it won’t spin by itself. Yes it’s out of gear.
Only thing I’ve done is put the 68 sprocket window with seal and the correct high speed gear and changed the Cush Drive rubbers.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
What are the clutch spring studs doing? It’s pretty standard that the little square heads turn out of place and jam things up. I like to install the clutch springs with nuts on just far enough to hold tension on the studs as I’m installing the clutch center, so the studs can’t move around.

I assume you’re reusing old parts, too. I recently ran across new replacement studs that had the heads made too large and would foul against the chainwheel when the center nut was torqued.

Chris

M
Mori55 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Studs are fine. I also notice the clutch sleeve that goes on the high gear mainshaft isn’t a real tight press fit. It’s not loose but I don’t have to tap it on.
I did change the high gear to a 68 type that does away with the brass sleeve. Now I have the seal on the sprocket window.
When I tighten up the center hub it tightens against the basket. I can turn the engine over but center hub won’t move unless I loosen the nut.
When I changed the Cush Drive rubbers I took everything apart. Is there right and wrong way it’s assembled ?

M
Mori55 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Any ideas ? I took the Cush Drive apart only one way it can go. I’m stumped.
I put hub on the key way , thrust washe , clutch basket , rollers ,Cush Drive hub , big washer ,lock tab , nut.
Tighten up and Cush hub tightens up against the clutch basket. The clutch basket moves fine. Just the hub is tight. I’ve checked thrust washer and studs they are all fine.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Morri, I had several of these apart. Thrust washer issues come to mind. Looking like you're going to have to do some detective work.

To be clear with nut tight the entire assembly turns on main shaft ok? But, the basket is binding on the cush drum. Is that correct? When binding does it seem to lock the main shaft to high gear. Meaning trans in neutral you spin clutch center & the trans sprocket turns too even if you hold it with your fingers?

I don't think you can assemble the drum inside out. I have more experience with later ones which have slightly different shape. The side plates are obviously inner/outer which only goes one way so I don't think that's the problem.

There are different thrust washers depending on the year. The washer must match the little hub that goes onto main shaft. Also the washer chamfer must go right way round. So all this must be matching set. I think later years will fit your main shaft, but I don't know how to visually tell them apart but the later washer is different.

Also the rollers must be measured for length. If too long they will bind. I've not personally seen this though. The ones I've bought have been to spec in shop Manual.

Without being there makes it kind of hard.

How does the little hub fit on main shaft just by itself? Is it bottoming against the nose of the high gear?

On the bench can you wiggle/spin the thrust washer? It should be quite free.

Bolted up there is a lot of wobble on basket with all new parts. If you didn't know better it would seem too loose.

If needed you could use some flat washers, bolt & nut & simulate how clutch assembly is being pinched. Since it's on the bench you can see how the thrust washer actually is while parts are bolted.
Don

Last edited by TR7RVMan; 11/30/17 6:31 pm. Reason: changed sentence

1973 Tiger 750
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Morri, The spider has a left/right side depending on the splines, but I can't remember if you can install it backwards relative to the side plates.

In any case the spider spines go to the back side, meaning towards transmission.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I always assemble the clutch on the bench before I put it back on. That way any errors will be revealed beforehand. However, in your case it sounds like your hub is fouling the sprocket window. Did you use a gasket on the inner clutch cover by any chance? That would bring the mainshaft over by X amount.
Another thing you mentioned yesterday, you talked about a "clutch sleeve", what do you mean?

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
^ Thats a good gotcha right there. I’ve had this problem when using a gasket on the transmission cover. That joint should be sealant only, no gasket.

Chris

M
Mori55 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
It’s not fouling the window. I can tighten it up but the u and the basket turns easily. It’s the center Cush Drive what locks up to the basket. I have the splines correct. Right thrust washer , used before rebuild. Chamber goes to gearbox side. The rollers are original everything is original

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
There is scope for different axial assembly of the spider to the hub, even more so when the spider has worn against the end plates.
This can change the clearance allowed for the thrust washer, causing it to be tight, depending on the installation of the rubbers.
Try taking the shock centre off, and press a spacer through the splined centre towards the rear, using suitable spacers, in a vice. Maybe even try knocking the centre that way, checking for clearance often. Take care not to damage the splines. You will eventually budge the spider in the rubbers enough to free the assembly.

M
Mori55 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Well I got and have no idea what I did different. I took it apart for about the tenth time cleaned thrust washer stuck it on with a little grease. Put basket on and put the rollers in dry. When done I oiled them and put hub on and tightened it up. Everything worked right. Maybe thrust washer slipped ? But I kept checking.
Why are the easiest thing such a pain ? Splitting cases and all that was easy! Go figure.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
All's well that ends well, I'm glad! I suspect you're right about the washer, if you didn't change anything else.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You didn't have the kickstart ratchet off when you mounted the clutch did you? I did that once and found that it was critical to limiting mainshaft float.

M
Mori55 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
I had it on. Still have no idea what was different. But I know it was a lot easier installing the roller bearings dry using a magnetic screwdriver.
Then again I had it on and off so many times, practice makes perfect !

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com