Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
BAinLA
BAinLA
Studio City (Los Angeles,Calif.)
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#716500 11/24/17 7:25 pm
K
Kev. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
Two totally different bikes, both from the same era, both unrestored survivors, and both are bikes I would dearly love to own. And both owned by different people.

First up is a Velocette Venom 500, in clubman trim with John Tickle accessories.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next up is one of my dream bikes, a wonderful BMW R69s with Heinrich long range touring tank, what a classy bike.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

beerchug

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Wow! Talk about usable, beautiful, rare classics!

Good find!

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
Life member
Life member
That BMW would suit me & Marie very nicely

BeezaBryan

Kev. #716515 11/24/17 10:16 pm
DOPE
DOPE
not quite, but getting there. . .

[Linked Image]

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1973-bmw-r60-5-airhead-for/6358024041.html

1973 airhead for sale. Looks and runs great. Very Low mileage (31k). Put in nearly $3k into it in the past year. Brand new tires, battery etc. I love this bike but I don't have time to ride it as often as I would like to so I've decided to pass her on to someone who will enjoy it more.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Kev. #716531 11/25/17 12:54 am
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Wow Kev!
Both of those are amazing. Who wouldn't love to own either?!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I see this BMW has been listed locally, quite original. (Auction ended while I was typing, sold for Buy It Now price perhaps)

1969 BMW R60.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Les P; 11/26/17 4:27 am.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Kev.
Two totally different bikes, both from the same era, both unrestored survivors, and both are bikes I would dearly love to own. And both owned by different people. [snip] Next up is one of my dream bikes, a wonderful BMW R69s with Heinrich long range touring tank, what a classy bike.

[Linked Image]

I've been tracking the BMW prices for several years now. The low point is about 15 years old, where you can find a 1999 to 2005 R model for around $2000 in rough but serviceable shape. The soul-less "K bikes" are even cheaper. Often these bikes will have 15K miles or less. The biggest issue is that they were stored over winter in 2006 or 07 with ethanol fuel and wouldn't crank the following Spring. Occasionally you'll see one that needs a $2500 ABS unit replaced !

Then after 15 years the prices begin to climb. Mid-70's and 80's flat twins (so called Slash 6 and Slash 7's) are back up to ~$4000. That's more than they sold for new. The amazing thing is that the 1960's black and white BMWs (so called Slash 2's) with Earls forks take an amazing leap in resale value. Rough ones start at $20,000. Nicely kept ones like in your photos here, can easily come near $30,000. Add original German accessories like the nice touring tank and that's an additional $1500.

Bottom line is, you and I probably can't afford that BMW !! You might as well be looking at a Seeley Condor or a Matchless G50 Racer !!

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
Kev. #717083 11/29/17 12:01 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Ha,
It is well documented that those "soul less" K bikes will carry you far in relative comfort... not unusual for the 80's Ks to clock hundreds of thousands of miles with regular maintenance and not much else. That early ABS is troublesome for sure but there are plenty around without it. Compared to many other bikes, the brakes are quite adequate. My 88 K100 was way more "modern" than my 93 R100RS, and I had a lot of fun throwing it around, over the years. The rare cumbersome at low speeds but more nimble than you'd think once you get one rolling.

People denigrate the Ks but I, for one, like em. I had that 88 and now own an 02 K1200RS. It's a keeper.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/29/17 12:03 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Ha,
It is well documented that those "soul less" K bikes will carry you far in relative comfort... not unusual for the 80's Ks to clock hundreds of thousands of miles with regular maintenance and not much else. That early ABS is troublesome for sure but there are plenty around without it. Compared to many other bikes, the brakes are quite adequate. My 88 K100 was way more "modern" than my 93 R100RS, and I had a lot of fun throwing it around, over the years. The rare cumbersome at low speeds but more nimble than you'd think once you get one rolling.

People denigrate the Ks but I, for one, like em. I had that 88 and now own an 02 K1200RS. It's a keeper.

When a bike carries me home from out of state or from across the country ... when it's purring along through the night with the lights working and handling smoothly .... and when it does that time after time, even if it takes a bit of fettling ...

THAT'S the bike I bond with, and like, and consider to have "character"! The way the motor sounds or how many cylinders it has or what country it's from has zero bearing on whether it has "soul" or not.

When it takes care of me, and takes me through the mountains in the rain without hiccupping .... it's a keeper!

Lannis

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Les P
I see this BMW has been listed locally, quite original. (Auction ended while I was typing, sold for Buy It Now price perhaps)

1969 BMW R60.

[Linked Image]

Something odd looking about that bike. Maybe it's because it's a last-year model but the air cleaner and the front engine cover (with the bulge for the dampner) are R69S parts. The valve covers are R60 but the cylinders appear to be R50 cylinders. The R50 cylinders are flat on the front, the R60 cylinders have extended front and rear fins that form somewhat of a pointed shape. Perhaps that's the way they sold them in 1969 but still looks odd to me.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by SteveM

Something odd looking about that bike. Maybe it's because it's a last-year model but the air cleaner and the front engine cover (with the bulge for the dampner) are R69S parts. The valve covers are R60 but the cylinders appear to be R50 cylinders. The R50 cylinders are flat on the front, the R60 cylinders have extended front and rear fins that form somewhat of a pointed shape. Perhaps that's the way they sold them in 1969 but still looks odd to me.

The advert certainly claims that it's absolutely stock and documents it through the original owner, so if it's NOT stock, that's a pretty egregious difference, especially at the price.

I'm not enough of a BMW guy to know which would be right and which wouldn't, though .....

Lannis

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Lannis
Originally Posted by SteveM

The advert certainly claims that it's absolutely stock and documents it through the original owner, so if it's NOT stock, that's a pretty egregious difference, especially at the price.

I'm not enough of a BMW guy to know which would be right and which wouldn't, though .....

Lannis

Here's a picture of a stock 1969 R60/2 survivor. Note the different air cleaner, the front cover without the R69S bulge and you can just see the cylinders with the extended nubs on the front.

[Linked Image]

I've worked with BMW's for many years but must admit I've never worked specifically on a 1969 model. However, most of the pictures I've recently found online show the typical R60 components.

On the positive side the bike has the optional 'Sport' tank with the integral toolbox on the top. That tank is quite a premium. Personally, I like them better than the aftermarket Heinrich's and other monster tanks. I guess "beauty is in the eye..."

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com