Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (BeezaBryan, Stuart Kirk, Magnetoman), 16 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Originally Posted by Lannis

I understand from all the FFATT guys the consequences of face-planting in a 3/4 or flipped-up modular helmet. But I have to balance against that:

1) Weight, neck strain, and fatigue

2) Limited vision

3) "Too-close" face shields fogging up from your breath.

All of those things will help get you INTO a crash if you don't watch out, and have to be balanced against the protection factor.

When it comes down to it, all of us would be safer in a Ford F-350 with side airbags ....

Lannis

Are you wearing an open face with just goggles? At high speeds ,it's my opinion, a modern "aerodynamic" full face is lessens neck strain compared to an open face with or without a shield..

No, I wear a "3/4" helmet (a jet helmet with extended cheek guards) with an aerodynamic face shield when I'm not in my modular or my removable-chinbar.

I agree - when I wear my Davida "Jet", a classic open helmet with goggles, and get going 60+, the wind is trying to lift the helmet off my head and the chin strap is under a strain .... The aerodynamics of a helmet make a huge difference if you're not behind a windshield.

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
British motorcycles on eBay
knuckle head
knuckle head
I have been looking at modular helmets ....My two year HJC full face does fit my ugly head very well...In cooler weather the shield will partially fog up but never when riding faster than 10 MPH...I always flip up the shield at slower speeds...I do wear the open face Bell "classic" sometimes on short trips into town...It was near 90 F and humid last week, I rode for the first time in several years wearing just a worn denim jacket...I felt naked compared to wearing my goatskin pilot jacket or heavier cowhide ....

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike

Are you wearing an open face with just goggles? At high speeds ,it's my opinion, a modern "aerodynamic" full face is lessens neck strain compared to an open face with or without a shield..

i've worn the evolutionary iterations of bell stars for forty years.

the biltwell-bullit-style bell star i bought in the 1970s bounces my head around like a ping pong ball. the darth vader one from the 1980s is a little better. the recent one i bought because i had to have a snell 2010 for racing is astonishing-- not much wind noise and smooth all the way to 100+. i hated the pointy chin but since i changed my riding position it's no longer an issue.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
. . . and don't even try to tell me that your leather jacket is anywhere near as cool as a riveted-link mail hauberk:

[Linked Image]

$119

cheap.

I........... liiiiiiiiikkkeeee ...........this........ wink

I'm getting multiple input on the brain cells with this.... the Stones' "Paint it Black"... summer attire, a bit heavy but hey. Works for me. And besides, when those Hardly riders refuse to wave, I'll at least have make them look!

Cheers

Rich

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I too am a firm believer in wearing a full face helmet. I feel it important to be able to talk, eat, etc. with a intact face complete with a jaw in place. BTW I wear glasses that are a PITA, but merely slip the glasses on after fitting the helmet. Aren't those 'Tupperware' lids the HD guys use a hoot, also the leather chaps exposing a bare butt? sheeze.

Dave - NV
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...what I wonder is where are those badly damaged persons?
I never ever see one; I should see them due to the time and % of people using half or 3/4s were/are more than the time and people using full face since the beginning.

I use a full face, but where are those others? I only saw people with a leg problems, hip problems, arms problems (damaged), with different kind of surgeries...and dead ones.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R

Perhaps it's the dead ones that were wearing half or three quarter helmets?

Rod

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Originally Posted by reverb
...what I wonder is where are those badly damaged persons?
I never ever see one; I should see them due to the time and % of people using half or 3/4s were/are more than the time and people using full face since the beginning.

I use a full face, but where are those others? I only saw people with a leg problems, hip problems, arms problems (damaged), with different kind of surgeries...and dead ones.

Well, folks don't want to advertise their own stupidity.

In my line of work in the hospitals, I saw many motorcycle accidents. The most disheartening were those low speed get offs where the guy became a vegetable.
Some at speeds of less than 15mph. Head against the curb was a classic. Or head against a stationary object, like a car or wall. Had they been wearing a helmet, they might not have even been admitted to the hospital.

I know it sounds callous considering my experiences, but I support freedom to ride without helmets, and all that that implies.

It's that damn ego and fear of looking like whatever....cautious?....that keeps these guys from wearing their protection while riding. I got over all that stuff a very long time ago.

Some folks will never grow up and some will pay very dearly for that.

You don't get to see those folks unless you are a medical professional or a family member, but believe me, they're out there.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by NickL
I've had 2 100mph+ crashes wearing an open face helmet, unfortunately no modification was carried out to my ugly mug!

Stop deriding people who prefer an open face unit, if they are a good type with the correct fit etc, they are very good.
Cheap crap full face units are a bloody site worse than a good open face one.
As for the HD guys, if they choose to wear nazi helmets etc, it's their choice.
Remember all the broken necks when full faces came out, many racing clubs wouldn't allow them because of that.

I am with Nick on this one, I hate full face helmets, restricted vision, overweight, bloody visors mist up at the slightest breath, I too have had a serious crash at over 90MPH wearing my old everoak racemaster.. hate to say this but this old helmet was filled with bodyfiller and I pop riveted on new straps needless to say I dont use it now but still have it, I now have a nice Bell open face lid and wear decent shatter proof shades , still ride my old Tribsa fast with no ill effects. I do have a nice full face helmet still in the box ...

1941 BSA WM20
1958 TRI-BSA 750 PRE UNIT
1957 THUNDERBIRD
1932 R E MODEL GS SPECIAL
1947 BSA YM21
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I still will recommend at least trying an up-to-date modern full face helmet before you dismiss them as overweight, having poor peripheral vision(sunglasses and goggles are MUCH worse for that) or fogging. I haven't fogged a visor in years, gimme a break. Most have built in ventilation and anti-fog visors.

And change the damn things every 5 years at a minimum, damaged or not. When the inside foam begins to break down, there is very little protection left.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I go by the Snell foundation recommendations for helmet life.

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Therefore, it's not just an opinion of mine. Most important to me, is the fact that helmets just keep getting better and better.

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 10/14/17 7:11 am.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
My old Arai helmet, the one I had on in my most recent crash
tho it did very much get destroyed- and I suspect it broke my clavicle- was about 7 years old. I knew it was time to replace it, but was finding it somewhat difficult to designate the funds for a replacement.

It went out with a bang. Did its job and went into the trash bin.

I got a new Arai Custom graohics model- bought one I like that was reduced because it was "last season's" model. I got a gift card for 500.00 from VW America for being a diesel owner, so my out of pocket cost was only a couple hundred bucks for what had been a helmet priced far above that mark when initially offered by Arai.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com