Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#707894 09/10/17 7:03 am
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Well we've found the cause of the 'rattle' on the DB34 ...
Bottom end failure.. not to the point of a blow up ,but significant up and down movement of the conrod... there's a rocking sideways movement in the little end bush/gudgeon as well ... no wonder there was a rattle..I'm glad I pulled the head and barrel off to have a look.
I'll be needing a crank pin assembly and also a forged piston ,as I've decided on a rebore while we're at it ..
I'd like to get both of these items from the one supplier ... any ideas please (from what I've been reading,Phil Pearson seems to be yer man ? ) .
Thanks ....

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Check with Mike Reilly. He can supply pistons, and also handles Mike Farrell crankshaft assemblies. Excellent quality kit, complete with Carrillo con rod.

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Thanks Shane ... I was in contact with Mike/Brett Reilly the other day and he can't supply the crankpin... I don't know whether I'll have to buy the whole crankshaft assembly as yet .. I'm hoping I'll just need a crank pin/piston assembly and little end bush ..

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
As a general rule, the big end outer race will be shot as well, and the tapers in the flywheels will have chafed. Unless you can do the job yourself, it doesn't work out a terrible lot more expensive to bite the bullet and install a bullet-proof crankshaft assembly like Phil Pearson's or Mike Farrell's.

If you're in the fortunate position where you can get away with just replacing the crank pin and bearing, the Alpha big end bearings don't seem too hard to come by.

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Cheers once again Shane..
I'm leaning towards 'biting the bullet' ..
I spoke to Mike Reilly this morning and he's been waiting for a year for the Mike Farrell assemblies ... and apparently Alpha are no longer making the crankpins..
Phil Pearsons work seems to be very well regarded and he has the Wiseco forged pistons as well..
Chomp,chomp ... I'm glad lead is a soft material ;-) ...

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
British Bike Bits (Burtons) also has crank assemblies that look pretty good ...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
NEB crank and rod with an Omega forged piston every time,

Mike.

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Cheers again Mike..... I've ordered the crank assembly from Burtons and it should be here in a week or so.
The piston that is in the Bike is out to + .040" and measures up OK with .005" clearance ... so we'll let it live in there a little longer before we go out to +.060" ..When the moment comes for a rebore,we'll be getting the Omega piston from Burtons..I'm really happy with the way they do business ... friendly and efficient,great communication and fair prices..

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com