Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Chip205
Chip205
Southeastern PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#708380 09/14/17 12:44 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi, Does anyone please have the rim offsets for 59 Gold Star with WM 2 rims, 190mm front and crinkly in the back?

Regards
Mike

Mike.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mike ... I would suggest you use a fool proof method to insure rim offsets. I've done this on several GS builds and it works fine.
With the chassis up on a stand or building bench with the front and rear wheels clear, first adjust the spokes of the bare front wheel to center the rim in the center of the forks. Measure carefully. I've found it handy to make a wedge shaped piece of material, heavy cardboard, alu or in my case made from ridged sheet plastic. After eyeballing the rim, fit the wedge between the rim on either side between the forks for equal distance, at the same time insure rim run out.

Then use a pair of straight edges clamped to the front rim, using rubber faced cabinet makers clamps. With the straight edges measured parallel extending beneath the chassis that will fit alongside the rear wheel rim. I use two lengths of 1" square extruded alu tubing available from a local builders supply. Then adjust the rear wheel spokes to center the rim between the tubes and adjust for accurate rim run out. To compensate for the difference in the rim widths I've taped thin pieces of wood trim to the area of the tubes adjacent to the front rims.

This method may sound fiddly and time consuming, but a few 'cool ones' consumed during the process works for me.

Dave - NV
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mike,

I used Dave's method on my Goldie and 66 Bonneville. I cannot access my restored Gold Star thread restoration but you can see the same process on my Bonnie.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The method that has been previously given works great. You did not give the rim type, Alum or steel. The BSA Service sheet for the rear crinkle hub with WM 2 steel rim is offset 19/32" edge of rim to edge of hub centre. The BSA part number for the complete wheel less tire is 42-6004. That is probably a good place to start. Lloyd L

Last edited by bsalloyd; 09/18/17 3:03 am. Reason: mistype of information

1951 ZB GS
1953 BB GS
1953 Super Flash
1954 Vincent BS
1963 RGS
1956 Triumph T110

F
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
F
68Triton, I have a list of offsets somewhere if you got no further.

na

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com