Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (pidjones, shel), 19 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#706454 08/27/17 11:23 pm
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
Have bro- and sister-in-law and also nephews and nieces in Houston. They're flooded out due to Hurricane Harvey. Others were hit worse.

Rose's nephew sent photos of his yard. Looks like a great lake. Ironically, the are sprinklers in the yard? Guess what they're doing?

Praying for any of you out that way.

Rich and Rose

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
British motorcycles on eBay
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Thanks for the thoughts. Just outside Houston proper, we have had 25+ inches and it's still pissing down. Water is up in the front yard but holding it's own. Lot's of place in deep trouble in town. My daughter is respiratory therapist working at hospital, rotating shifts and sleeping on a cot. Went in on Friday and it may be end of week before she is relieved. Current forecast has the storm center moving back offshore then heading straight for Houston by Wed. Someone just sent me this.
Borrowed wording, but this puts it in perspective:
For my non-Houston friends- to help you understand the devastation: Houston is huge. The greater metropolitan area is circled by the Grand Parkway - which is 170 miles long. That makes the area of the circle inside the Grand Parkway over 2200 sq. miles. 2200 square miles of densely habited, urban and suburban, areas is flooded.
Imagine if the entire state of Delaware, with twice the population of Manhattan, was under water.
That's Houston.
It's still raining.

Last edited by htown; 08/28/17 2:14 am.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Jeeeze! I can only imagine! Hoping you get out of this ok, ... our thoughts are with you.
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In recent years, with urban sprawl, many cities are finding they're in trouble with inadequate drainage due to over-development. Developers and planners can only do so much, then the power of water comes horribly to the fore.

My nephew and his wife lost all they had, living in an RV in Port Aransas. The ENTIRE PARK was wiped out, 100% loss. THANKFULLY, no loss of life there (at least none reported thus far in Port Aransas) .

This is one hell of a storm; be safe you Houstonians...

Last edited by GrandPaul; 08/28/17 1:14 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
My folks lived in the north west Houston suburbs from 1975 until their deaths. Spring TX address & a Tomball phone number.

Houston and that area has zero "zoning". Free reign was given to developers. It is not unusual to see a factory, plant or industrial complex beside a school, a strip mall, and a subdivision. Used to be there were farms mixed in too but those have no doubt all been consumed by the land grabbers by now. (my dad died in 2010 so thats the last I was down there).

There are local creeks (bayous) and rivers, and pretty much all stormwater has been diverted into these. The small bayous were all dredged out to handle stormwater overflow. All bigger rivers were dammed to make massive lakes- sometimes more than one lake per river. All storm water from all over Houston and the north suburbs drains into either the Houston ship channel (dredged out Buffallo Bayou), or Galveston Bay and eventually the Gulf Of Mexico. If not directly into the Gulf. Houston is a large city covering a pretty big area but the outlying suburbs are incredible and run outward for at least 50 (or further) miles in all directions! So it is ALL concrete, strip malls, streets, rooftops, and you name it.An unimaginagineable number of square miles with literally all solid surfaces, with only the local bayous for the rain to go into. The entire stormwater "management" system is heavily taxed every time it rains, let alone under dire circumstances.

Houston proper is low lying anyway- It's on the coastal plain. The communities and towns south of Houston between the city and the Gulf or the Bay are really low. Just a few feet above sea level. The south west outlying areas used to be all rice farms, to give another example of how low it (or how pervasive water) is. Daily showers & rainfalls which can be extensive- like inches and inches at a time- will typically flood the lower streets and intersections for a few hours. Considering all the above, there is a lot that goes into the problems they have down there- many factors that serve to make an already big problem even worse. For those who have never been there, there is no way you can even begin to comprehend the size or the sprawl-

or the mess it is under typical conditions.

Hope you who live in Houston or Loo-weez-ee-anna get thru it safely, with as little personal loss as possible.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/31/17 3:56 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider

For those who have never been there, there is no way you can even begin to comprehend the size or the sprawl-

or the mess it is under typical conditions.

Hope you who live in Houston or Loo-weez-ee-anna get thru it safely, with as little personal loss as possible.

Roger all that!

Riding the old BSA up US250 last month through West Virginia, through the towns of Mannington and Metz and Littleton to Hundred ... there had just been a flood from a line of thunderstorms along Pyle's Fork and Fish Creek that flooded all those towns for 30 miles along there. The National Guard was still in there cutting out trees and trying to haul junk away.

The thing I noticed was that for miles, there were piles of soaked furniture piled along the shoulder of the road for pickup, hundreds and hundreds of them. Whole housefuls of furniture that has to be dumped ... and then replaced.

This was in a sparsely populated area where maybe 800 people had water up in their houses. It's just hard to imagine multiplying that by a factor of TWO THOUSAND or so, and trying to see HOW they are going to haul and dump all that stuff somewhere, and HOW is everyone going to replace all that? Insurance won't do everything - and so many folks are underinsured.

Those of us who are still dry should find an efficient charity who can get gift cards into people's hands so they can get back on their feet after all this ...

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My wife worked for a FEMA mapping contractor in the 80s. She did the final quality control on a lot of the maps for Houston and has said for years it was one of the biggest risk areas she saw.

None of this is a surprise to her.

Problem I see, is that people are going to want to get back on thier feet with taxpayer help exactly as things were before. Absent serious efforts to mitigate the actual problem (elevate, move) this will happen again. Same for New Orleans. Who thought building homes below sea level next to the Mississippi River was a good idea?

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Zimm,

New Orleans was a settlement founded in 1718, probably atop an existing native settlement. The native people were fluid, so able to move as the river bottom shifted and the river altered its course- as rivers do. The more permanent "white" settlement/town/city progression is NOT fluid. AT ALL. The arrogance of humankind is well documented, and the power of Nature to instantly destroy all human effort in a single small stroke is also well documented if not largely ignored.

Houston began much later, in 1837. As far as I know as a cow town then went on to become home of famous Texas "oilmen" with many oil refineries with some shipping tossed in as a side business. Houston is 50 miles or more inland so a shipping channel and port had to be engineered in- it is not naturally occurring. Houston's big move away from oil came in the oil glut and bad oil times in the late 70s and early 80s.
Having had an association there since 1975 and having lived there twice, I have seen many changes in Houston.

Texas, for those who don't know this, always maintained its "independence" from the USA. There is now and always has been a big secessionist movement there. Many a Texas politician has vehemently voted against federal aid for hurricanes and other natural disasters, like in hurricanes Katrina & Sandy to provide but 2 examples.

The proverbial shoe is on the other foot now, tho.
Isn't it.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker

Texas, for those who don't know this, always maintained its "independence" from the USA. There is now and always has been a big secessionist movement there. Many a Texas politician has vehemently voted against federal aid for hurricanes and other natural disasters, like in hurricanes Katrina & Sandy to provide but 2 examples.

The proverbial shoe is on the other foot now, tho.
Isn't it.

Not such a cool thing to score "nyah nyah I told you" political points on the back of a tragedy like this .... And we don't know that the ones who voted against federal aid then aren't voting against it now ....

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
The one that voted against the Sandy aid is our village idiot, Ted Cruz. He's backing up faster now than a crawfish. Actually it's a race with Joel Osteen.

Last edited by htown; 08/31/17 8:06 pm.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Well, you guys turn it into politics. I'm sending money to the helpers ....

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I mentioned the facts without pointing fingers. The air is filled with news of this very fact. It's a public matter - and history- that certain politicians whose homes are in tornado, flood, and hurricane zones have voted consistently against federal relief for others. But sit tight, shut up, and accept assistance when the poo hits the fan at home.

It is pure and simple, hypocrisy.

No politics involved on my part simply stating that fact of the matter.
Same as I pointed out another well known fact- that developers and city/public officials, unbridled, have also added much to the state of disaster in their plundering of the locale.

This is by and large undisputed. It is fact. One cannot go so far as to dilute the truth in the name of political correctness or avoidance.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/31/17 8:21 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I mentioned the facts without pointing fingers. The air is filled with news of this very fact. It's a public matter - and history- that certain politicians whose homes are in tornado, flood, and hurricane zones have voted consistently against federal relief for others. But sit tight, shut up, and accept assistance when the poo hits the fan at home.

It is pure and simple, hypocrisy.

Same as I pointed out another well known fact- that developers and city/public officials, unbridled, have also added much to the state of disaster in their plundering of the locale.

This is by and large undisputed. It is fact. One cannot go so far as to dilute the truth in the name of political correctness or avoidance.

Thank you sir.

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S ll
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker

"Stating the facts of the matter". A simple way of not calling it "politics". I could state some facts that would surprise you. But it's not my job.

In the end, Luke says it better than I can ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDt1WDzhmU

Lannis

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I'll also say that I feel this is pertinent in a discussion about one of the biggest natural disasters (as it happens a hurricane) of all time- certainly in our lifetime in the USA- or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com