Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
quinten 79
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe, Looping, Teager
11,844 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mark Parker, JBMorris, Servodyne, L.A.B.), 26 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Peter, no no shame. I was only HALF kidding. wink

Hey remember there's always time to step several degrees up the fashion curve and forsake the fanny pack for a man-bag. (AKA messenger bag) FYI, many actual messenger bags are huge. Be aware of the sizes if you go looking for one. I use small sized bags and can stuff quite a lot into them. Obviously, the more you pack, the more you have to carry.

I have Timbuk2 bags, but they're not as well made as they once were. Best all-round messenger bags are the ones actually made for bicycle or motorcycle messenger types. :bigt

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

British motorcycles on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Son-in-law is a cop in Phoenix so he's always got a Glock on him. Off duty in the winter, it's likely to be his small frame .40 in an ankle holster. In the summer in flip flops, shorts and a tank top, it's in a sort of fanny pack that can be worn over shoulder or around the waist.
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Messenger bag or day pack/backpack.
One thing you definitely DO NOT want is a fanny pack. laugh
Friends don't let friends show up in public with a fanny pack.

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Peter, no no shame. I was only HALF kidding. wink

Hey remember there's always time to step several degrees up the fashion curve and forsake the fanny pack for a man-bag. (AKA messenger bag) FYI, many actual messenger bags are huge. Be aware of the sizes if you go looking for one. I use small sized bags and can stuff quite a lot into them. Obviously, the more you pack, the more you have to carry.

I have Timbuk2 bags, but they're not as well made as they once were. Best all-round messenger bags are the ones actually made for bicycle or motorcycle messenger types. :bigt

One of the things I've been thinking about for carrying capacity for tools and incidentals while "out of the house" (whether out for the day running errands, out working, or out on the road camping) is a nice vest. You can get VERY capacious textile utility vests with a ton of pockets (but I'd probably look like a Protector-stage Pak), or decent-looking leather ones with less capacity. The ones I've seen seem like they'd be a good compromise between pockets in your pants and shirt, and a messenger bag, which is very practical but I can just SEE myself leaving it behind somewhere .... !

Gotta be a little careful, though. I fell once on my bike on an icy bridge, and I can still remember the bruise under the sheath knife on my belt. Wouldn't want a lot of similar bruises all over me from stuff I was carrying ....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Unless your [vest] pockets seal closed, & the vest is 100% waterproof, everything is subject to A loss, and B weather. Messenger bags are meant to protect things from weather, impact, and loss. Not to beat it to death, really, but they provide nice organized accessibility. IME, things tend to get lost in a back pack, even a smallish day pack.

J
Life member
Life member
J
Only in the Rod & Tappet can a single conversation include such a wide range of discussion - from spark plugs, to fashion.

I forgot the original point of your topic Lannis, something about not so smart phones, pockets (or rather the lack thereof), spark plugs, dim headlights and getting lost... that all sounds familiar to me - personally :-)

Plugs - I use what the local purveyor of plugs has on hand when I need 'em.
Pockets - I use the tank bag if on the A65, or panniers if on the B40. I do have a compact ballistic messenger bag courtesy of REI - bought years and years ago. I use it for toting the PC to work if/when the urge strikes me to want to risk my life on a bike in this Raleigh traffic hell that it is now.
Lights - I take what I get, but not having magneto mysteries to care for, suspect you have more concerns to deal with than those of us not so vintage.
Fashion - I got none. Maybe that IS a fashion??
Weapons - My Leatherman and what I like to call my rapier sharp wit - seem to have been enough to keep me in this game of life thus far.
Smart Phone - only useful if has signal and power. I like a dumb paper map myself.

Jim

'67 WD-B40
'71 A65L
'71 TR25T
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by JiminNC
Only in the Rod & Tappet can a single conversation include such a wide range of discussion - from spark plugs, to fashion.

I forgot the original point of your topic Lannis, something about not so smart phones, pockets (or rather the lack thereof), spark plugs, dim headlights and getting lost... that all sounds familiar to me - personally :-)

Plugs - I use what the local purveyor of plugs has on hand when I need 'em.
Pockets - I use the tank bag if on the A65, or panniers if on the B40. I do have a compact ballistic messenger bag courtesy of REI - bought years and years ago. I use it for toting the PC to work if/when the urge strikes me to want to risk my life on a bike in this Raleigh traffic hell that it is now.
Lights - I take what I get, but not having magneto mysteries to care for, suspect you have more concerns to deal with than those of us not so vintage.
Fashion - I got none. Maybe that IS a fashion??
Weapons - My Leatherman and what I like to call my rapier sharp wit - seem to have been enough to keep me in this game of life thus far.
Smart Phone - only useful if has signal and power. I like a dumb paper map myself.

Jim

ha ha Jim,
the "fashion" thing came about only because I was denigrating fanny packs- which I definitely see as UNfashionable. Smart Phones.... Did you know that you can operate a smart phone's GPS with it all but turned off? Every modern smart phone has a GPS- which accesses satellite signals regardless of cellular signal- or the lack thereof. Also, today's smart phones have an "airplane" mode which basically disables data and cell capabilities. YES your smart phone CAN access and use its GPS without data and cell service! Google Maps, included, if not especially.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/15/17 12:01 am.

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker

Jim

We're good at that.

I'm a big believer that "Thread Drift", a thing that many up-tight people view with horror, is a GOOD thing on a forum like this. "One thing leads to another" is a useful and informative and often fun process. I don't hesitate to jump sideways a bit when a related subject occurs to me. And it's not so strange or unusual when you trace the posts back - they're all related in a way.

It bothers some people on many lists no end, and they complain and fuss and call the moderators. I don't understand that, unless it's just about OCD straight-laced-ness and Control .... which you wouldn't think would be common among motorcyclists!

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker

Jim

Just insurance. My house has never burned down either, but that doesn't keep me from paying a $1000 fire insurance bill on the house every year ....

Lannis

J
Novice poster
Novice poster
J
Quit usin champions when they moved their stuff out of Toledo Oh 30or was it 40 years ago , Their HOMETOWN my A$$ nuthin but NGKs in my motors!

Life member
Life member
Originally Posted by Lannis

Jim

We're good at that.

I'm a big believer that "Thread Drift", a thing that many up-tight people view with horror, is a GOOD thing on a forum like this. "One thing leads to another" is a useful and informative and often fun process. I don't hesitate to jump sideways a bit when a related subject occurs to me. And it's not so strange or unusual when you trace the posts back - they're all related in a way.

It bothers some people on many lists no end, and they complain and fuss and call the moderators. I don't understand that, unless it's just about OCD straight-laced-ness and Control .... which you wouldn't think would be common among motorcyclists!

Lannis

Thread Drift? Does that mean Tangentialisation?

BeezaBryan

He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination, It's the glory of the ride (Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Good on you, Lannis. Extrapolation does stimulate comprehension and clear thinking and makes things interesting. And the learning process continues !
Anyway, Lannis, about your Matchless Bigtwin.....................!?

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
lessons I have learned from running my A65 for 30 years plus.
Check oil level just after a run, same goes for lubing chain while its still hot if using spray grease.
Allen screws are easy to use, and the keys take up little space.
Always have a spare kick start cotter pin and return spring in the parts dept. .
Own , learn to use and carry a #78 drill at all times, it lives in a small case under the battery strap.
If the bike gets hard to start or wont idle its usually the pilot jet, this and the float bowl drain are simple fixes.
Drain the float bowls into a small jar now and again to get water and debris out of the carb. it is a given that water will enter the system.
Slides wear faster than carb bodies.
Empty the fuel system when storing over Winter or there will be trouble.
Dont rely on counting turns on the chain adjuster to keep the rear wheel in line, check it with a string once a year.
The rear engine mounts will slacken off, and must be checked after a recommission. This job will seem like a fresh puzzle every time.
Head gaskets need re-torqued after a rebuild.
Front wheel bearings die from water ingress, sealed or not ( in this humid Scots climate, seals trap water and early failure is the result, my unsealed rear wheel bearings outlasted the fronts 3 to one)
Know your tyres, my front tube needs a few psi top up every other week. dont run on worn rubber or you will get punctures.
protecting cables is a good idea, since fitting shrouds to all control cables I have had no failures and controls remain slick to use.
Same goes for fork seals/ gaiters.
Gearbox oil goes like mayonaisse, change annually regardless of mileage.
When the clutch stops working , its not the plates and springs at fault, its all fecked.
Two rear chains last 4 times longer than one, meaning longer intervals between replacing the inaccessible gearbox sprocket which wears a lot faster than the rear. I use cheap non O ring DID chain. when it gets saggy , I link up the sister, install, and wash the manky one in paraffin, dry, relube in grease pan, , store till next change,compared to using the old Renolds stuff , this last at least 4 times longer between tension adjustments.
The rear mudguard WILL fail without suitable bracing. Thats what the grab rail is for.

NGK plugs work for me. 6K miles on the 2nd hand diesel fouled set I rescued from the LBS bin.
EI is good.Relays and extra blade fuses are good, in general anything you can do to take the load off the mickey mouse switches is a "GOOD IDEA".

The choke system is handy for half hot starting.But doesnt work for kicking from cold unless you want to wear out the kick lever mech.
( It will bump start on choke alone if all is good). I live on a hill and havent tickled the carbs more than 5 times in 3 K miles.

I never carry tools in pockets, always wear leather armoured breeks, and use a textile top with armour and a liner, Waterproofs are one piece strapped to the seat if riding in all weathers . For store runs I use a tank bag, longer trips I add panniers, never liked top boxes.
Crocs/ sandals are practical light post run footwear, clumping around in riding boots is not what they were made for ( unless you are at a Scots music festival, then a stout pair of boots is essential)
"Fog city" visor liners are very effective for minimizing in lid misting. its good to see where you are going.
Always carry a small bottle of visor cleaner and a dedicated soft cloth, wet the cloth and soak flies off visor after a run before the flies set hard, flies have sharp bits in them and will wreck a good visor unless soaked off. This takes up one jacket pocket, spray and cloth live in a zip lock bag.
Most important, put the key in the bike before putting gloves on, this still catches me out.
I dont own a mobile phone, I carry a tool kit. I have only been stranded once, when the AR mech came off in 1979, been Boyer ever since with no complaints Sometimes I take puncture repair stuff, usually not, keeping the rubber fresh helps a long way in preventing flats.

Most important lesson, the BSA is a fun bike, its good handling, fairly economical and breaks the ice at parties. Folks in general like it and want to help keep it running.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
lessons I have learned from running my A65 for 30 years plus.

Crocs/ sandals are practical light post run footwear, clumping around in riding boots is not what they were made for ( unless you are at a Scots music festival, then a stout pair of boots is essential)

Most important lesson, the BSA is a fun bike, its good handling, fairly economical and breaks the ice at parties. Folks in general like it and want to help keep it running.

I was reading down your list, expecting to find something that I didn't agree with (not because it's you in particular, but because it's very seldom that any two lists this long will agree).

I agree with, and live by, every single thing on there except the NGK plugs (which experience I already explained), and I can't stand the feel or look of Croc shoes (which isn't a motorcycle thing anyhow). Everything else is just the way I do it.

I'm saving this one just to look at ....

Lannis

Life member
Life member
Wassup Jim...you found yer computer I see.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Messenger bags are useful, I can fit 4 x 500ml bottles of beer in mine. But only for short journeys.

DOPE
DOPE
any day that you didn't ride your motorcycle is a day that you will never get back.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
any day that you didn't ride your motorcycle is a day that you will never get back.

Come to think of it, any day you DO ride your motorcycle is a day you will never get back either. We rode our motorcycle to a pie shop today, so we got a two for one .... !

Lannis

Odd member
Odd member
Pie shop.... shocked

A PIE SHOP... crazy

What, when you're married to the BEST Pecan Pie maker on the face of the Earth, what's wrong lad, hope the little woman isn't crook. Or was you just giving her a day off, they do need a day off now and again lad, I've learnt that... wink

Worth the flight over for a slice of Pecan lad, course you COULD smuggle some over, can't say too much lad, careless talk and all... :bigt

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Pie shop.... shocked

A PIE SHOP... crazy

What, when you're married to the BEST Pecan Pie maker on the face of the Earth, what's wrong lad, hope the little woman isn't crook. Or was you just giving her a day off, they do need a day off now and again lad, I've learnt that... wink

Worth the flight over for a slice of Pecan lad, course you COULD smuggle some over, can't say too much lad, careless talk and all... :bigt

Well, yes, I must admit that I AM married to one of the world’s best pie makers; and nobody makes a better pie crust than my Fay. Her specialties are apple, pecan, chocolate, lemon meringue, coconut, and coconut cream.

But we were our for a ride yesterday, the purpose of which was to ride to the National Forest Ranger Station in Natural Bridge Station, Virginia, which is the nearest place where they sell Lifetime Senior Passes for the National Parks in the US. The price is still $10 (and has been since 1982), but it’s going up to $80 soon, and so we figured we’d better get ours now, it’s the bargain of the century.

No prettier rides than the one from my house over Balcony Falls to Natural Bridge ..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So having got our passes, we stopped for lunch at the Natural Bridge General Store.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It’s just hard for us to take pictures of our food. I know that it’s a tradition here and I do it whenever I remember, but I’ll never get over my antipathy toward looking like a social media weeny who lives in their smartphone. So you’ll just have to take my word that my reuben sandwich and Fay’s chicken salad were EXCELLENT …. !

We didn’t get dessert, and a good thing too, because on the way home we found THIS:

[Linked Image]

The lady who runs this store will be 101 years old on her next birthday, but she’s as spry and wide-awake as most 70 year olds.

[Linked Image]

This is her from when she ran it as a general store in the 1930s; the loaf of bread she’s holding was 10 cents …

[Linked Image]

This is her husband and their twin daughters from the 1940s …

[Linked Image]

Today her twin daughters run the place as a Pie Shop known far and wide for the quality of their pies. Since Fay is an expert pie maker, we’re “hard graders” when it comes to pies, but I can tell you that THESE are as good (I won’t say “better” although I might mean that) as any I’ve ever had.

We were too busy eating our blueberry-strawberry pie, and our buttermilk pie, to take pictures, but you know what a pie looks like, and they have 25 different kinds to try.

And then it was time to leave …. with us reflected in the window behind a Bible verse. While we were there, the daughters and Mama broke out in an acapella Gospel song that was the equal of anything you’d hear recorded anywhere, but we didn’t record it – no good at cameras ...

[Linked Image]

So that’s why we didn’t fix a pie at home!

Lannis

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
This thread has been bouncing around in my head a little. What have I learned in 45+ years of daily motorcycle riding?
A least, what could I share of any value?

I think it would center around safety. No one who is risk averse rides motorcycles if they can help it, so the majority of folks who do it are intentionally adding risk to their lives in order to do it.
Maybe. I've done my homework long ago on the subject because I want to survive this experience. The Harry Hurt report in the 80's is a good example.

Distilled to this: If you don't already ride and have ridden for 5 years or so, don't do it. The risk of getting killed is just too great. You're better off in a modern car.

But for us, the risk has dropped to nearly equal that of driving a car.

Can't do anything about an airplane falling out of the sky on your ass or a big rig running a red light while you're crossing the intersection. This just happened to a guy a few miles up the road from me but it was a tow truck. Same difference.

However, I calculate risk from many aspects. I feel lucky to live in a place where people don't ordinarily use weapons to solve their problems. This goes for car vs. motorcycle incidents as well. I got chased by irate drivers in their murder machines in SoCal before, so folks do use vehicles as weapons sometimes.

It was my good fortune to listen to my girlfriend years ago when she begged me to "Get me out of this place!". We moved here. I wanted to move to Tahiti, but, well, life has it's compromises.

The most healthy climate in the world. The best medical care in the US. The longest life expectancy in the US. (Still 43rd in the world according to some statistics. Behind Belize fer chissakes!)

The lowest crime rate, the lowest poverty rate, etc. etc. For those of you who are politically oriented, the absolute most democratic in the US and it shows in the aforementioned stats.

I don't drink the Koolaide, though. Don't watch news, don't believe pundits and absolutely do not believe or shout slogans. I do science and have always been involved in it. I know it's strengths and its weaknesses first hand. I don't get involved in the debate. Period. No good for your blood pressure.

I keep away from disease vectors now. I worked as a medical professional for 20 years. I know a few things. Don't allow bugs, feral animals and filth in your living environment. I take this dead seriously.

And lastly, get a dog. People who have dogs live longer and happier lives. Just treat them well. They have short lives and should live good ones with lots of love.

Do your maintenance on your bikes and you probably won't have to carry tools. Just sayin....

My breakdown record is unsurpassed. It's because if it isn't right, I wont' ride it until it is. Three bikes allows you do it this way.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger

The most healthy climate in the world. The best medical care in the US. The longest life expectancy in the US. (Still 43rd in the world according to some statistics. Behind Belize fer chissakes!)

The lowest crime rate, the lowest poverty rate, etc. etc. For those of you who are politically oriented, the absolute most democratic in the US and it shows in the aforementioned stats.

I don't drink the Koolaide, though. Don't watch news, don't believe pundits and absolutely do not believe or shout slogans. I do science and have always been involved in it. I know it's strengths and its weaknesses first hand. I don't get involved in the debate. Period. No good for your blood pressure.

Cheers,
Bill

Whew! Good thing you don't like to debate, because you'd have to explain why Hawaii isn't even in the top 10 US states for Low Crime Rate or Low Poverty Levels, and why it has the highest level of Homelessness in the whole country despite big tax rates. Could be that "democratic" politics, maybe ..... blush

You might not drink the Kool-aid but someone's been at the kava bowl, I suspect .... confused Watch that blood pressure ....

Lannis

DOPE
DOPE
well, think about it.

if you had to be homeless, wouldn't you rather be in hawaii?

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
well, think about it.

if you had to be homeless, wouldn't you rather be in hawaii?

It would beat the hell out of Minnesota, I'm sure

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I guess you'll either have to be here to see it with your own eyes, or believe whoever you want. Try to keep envy in your pocket. That's just ugly.

Yes people come here to be homeless. The benefits are great.

You must be thinking of Honolulu. Did I say anything about that place? The majority of the state's population lives there, but that's just a small place in comparison to the state. Just another city...

Tax rates are very small. Not that it matters. Who really gives a [***] about tax rates except whiny assed republicans?

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
It's a small wonder that people aren't flocking to Hawaii in droves!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com