Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Magnetoman), 18 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#704273 08/08/17 12:58 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
...the question I wanted to ask in the last post and forgot to include! So, since I have been riding the Enfield Interceptor for 7 years and for the last 5 years it's the only roadworthy bike I own, I have noticed something. I ride a lot of back roads and there are a lot of Mennonite farms on these roads. Mennonites are a religious people, sorta like the Amish, but Mennonites drive cars, own businesses, and are generally part of the community. They have a particular culture, they are hard working, and dress a certain way (plain, modest). They are nice people for the most part and in this day and age I feel they are a valuable addition to the community.

It seems that young Mennonites like motorcycles. I have had three occasions where young men have waved as I rode by. No they weren't waving with one finger! Friendly sort of a wave. Returning from the Curtiss the other day I rounded a turn and seeing a horse drawn cart, slowed even more than I would have and kept the engine quiet so as not to startle the horse. When the cart came into full view I see it's being driven by two young boys maybe between 9 and 12 years old. When they saw me they had a look of awe and surprise on their faces and the both of them waved together. My hands were busy negotiating a tight turn so I gave a noticeable ( I hope) nod of my helmeted head.

So my question is do they like all motorcycles? Or is there something about the Interceptor that they like? It's never happened to me while riding the Triumph. Maybe they just like the sound and looks of British bikes? Have you guys ever experienced this or do you have some more insight to their culture?
Al

Al Eckstadt
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Boys and bikes.

Almost doesn't matter what culture the boys are raised in, bikes are still attractive.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
AL, Maybe it's just way my brain works, But.......
If you are a kid and Dad isn't real enthused about cars and murder cycles,... Kinda makes them more interesting doesn't it? Sounds from your discription of those folks like they don't do outlandish and exciting things too often.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Right KC. Nothing outlandish. They drive small-medium sized cars, vans or minivans - but they must be painted black. I've seen some where they even painted over some of the chrome. There are Mennonite car dealers that sell only black vehicles. Owning a motorcycle seems out of the question.

Al Eckstadt
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I was going to say something like "perhaps its the staid nature of the Enfield that appeals to their senses" DANG! I did say it facepalm grin But I think KC got it right. My parents were dead set against me getting any kind of motorized bike so naturally I had to have one just to prove them wrong. What kid couldn't resist an Interceptors flashy chrome tank and throaty exhaust notes?

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Just like there's no one "Amish", there's no one "Mennonites".

The rules of the church are generally set by a local bishop and agreed upon by the church. With the Amish, for example, some do not believe in using electricity or fuel because the power plant and refinery workers have to work on the Sabbath to provide it, and the Amish don't want to be a part of making that happen. Some will use tractors, but will only use tractors with steel wheels so they can't be used to "go to town".

Mennonites are the same. I've been to Mennonite churches, and some are hardly any different from a conservative Southern Baptist church. Some are much more strict in their customs of dress (no neckties or gold trim - plain collars and buttons only), some are not.

So it's hard to characterize them all in one place ....

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
its a slippery slope
[Linked Image]

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by MikeG
I was going to say something like "perhaps its the staid nature of the Enfield that appeals to their senses" DANG! I did say it facepalm grin But I think KC got it right. My parents were dead set against me getting any kind of motorized bike so naturally I had to have one just to prove them wrong. What kid couldn't resist an Interceptors flashy chrome tank and throaty exhaust notes?

Fay suggested to our oldest son Neil (who learned on a dirt bike as a kid but doesn't ride now) that get back into riding, take the MSF course, get him a bike so we could all ride together; sort of one more reason to get together and socialize.

He said "Mom, do you know how many mothers are encouraging their sons to get a motorcycle these days? It's like, oh .... ONE!".

That IS pretty unusual, come to think of it. Fay's a real rider at heart ....

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
[quote=MikeG]
He said "Mom, do you know how many mothers are encouraging their sons to get a motorcycle these days? It's like, oh .... ONE!"[Lannis
:bigt :bigt

Call yourself lucky with a wife like Fay, she must be a real rider.

Reminds me of my late father, he never tried to put me off when I started riding, although he once had a serious accident with his bike that put him in hospital for some time, and off motorbiles for the rest of his life.
Mind you , in those days(the mid 1950's) people over here did not ride bikes for fun, they only rode bikes because they could not afford a car.

As for Amish/Menonnies etc, we have some ultra religious groups over here too (our equivalent of the bible belt), although, they all are allowed to own bikes as long as they do not ride on sundays.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by quinten
its a slippery slope
[Linked Image]

Oh my! Super rare shot! Early prototype Rocket 3s and Tridents! Awesome!

Sorry, lads. I couldna resist! laughing

Cheers

Rich

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I think they might be the prototype of this .... The Stake in the Heart of a Dying BSA ...

Ariel_3_cropped.JPG
Last edited by Lannis; 08/08/17 10:57 pm.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Truth in that statement.

The future cannot be predicted. But it can be invented.

No, not Soichiro Honda. Who had a similar philosophy, oddly.

But imagine the millions of ideas that were so close yet did not strike the public's fancy. I've always thought Ed Turner's bathtubs were simply a great idea on the wrong end of the bike.

How many more ideas were like that?

But to contribute to the topic, when I was a driver of large behemoth vehicle for my dad I went through Amish and Mennonite areas. I never saw Amish sway from their convictions. But in some areas were different in that they seemed a bit more lax with their carts and road lights. Some had the hazard placard, some seemed more.... off road. (no placard)

Cheers

Rich

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by T140V-Rich

But in some areas were different in that they seemed a bit more lax with their carts and road lights. Some had the hazard placard, some seemed more.... off road. (no placard)

Cheers

Rich

There's probably 100 different sects of Amish, each with their own rules .... Not necessarily being "lax", but following the agreed upon rules for their church ....

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just think how easy it would be for AL to corrupt these young eager fellows, yearning for some flash and excitement!! Not saying he would of course, but It must be a tough lot for the parents to keep the temptations at safe length!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I live in deep Amish country. There's a fair number of Mennonites here as well. It's unusual to come across Mennonite kids while out riding, unless you happen to pass a school, or maybe if they're getting out of church on Sunday... so I can't speak to those kids, per se.

But I pass Amish buggies quite often, on the bike (and in the car). It's not unusual to see kids hanging out the back of the black hard side buggies, and I always wave to them. The smiles and the waves back are pure, and genuinely enthusiastic.

Some friends had a rather big community of poorer, Nebraskan Amish living near them for decades. They had canvas topped buggies and none of the battery powered lights and turn signals of these high falutin' Lancaster County Amish. (To be fair to the Lanc County sect, tho they do interact and enmesh themselves with heavy motor vehicle traffic including tractor trailers) anyhow the Nebraskan Amish kids were also very enthusiastic about bikes, just waving merrily away from the back of their simple buggies and buckboards.

The Amish community does vary, as mentioned. Around central PA they do construction work, and farming- mostly. The construction guys have a driver but they operate power tools themselves. The Amish dairy (and other) farmers are allowed to use propane fired generators to light their barns and to keep milk cold. The generators run 24/7 so it isn't too pleasant if some Amish family buys a dairy farm that's real close to your house. This is an issue for my friends, a more monied group is now, and has been for about 8 years, pushing the Nebraskans out of Penn's Valley- buying up farms left n right.

The kids come to to play on Sundays, and a friend who lives right in the middle of a bunch of Amish used to regularly use his truck to pull buggies out of ditches on Sunday nights! There's been all manner of things happen within these communities since I've lived in PA. Amish drug rings, among other things, for example. One guy got excommunicated and for years drive a pickup around Carlisle with plywood side boards on it that had paragraphs of painted scribbles decrying the evil thru which a man could be made to be separated from his family!

Just goes to prove that they are 100% human, just like the rest of us.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

F
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
F
A while back, I worked for a company that marketed to independent auto repair shops. MY territory included eastern PA and many Mennonite owned shops around Chambersburg. Almost universally the techs would have their cars around the shop, they were blacked out, on steel rims, no AC or radio but universally they had normally aspirated, bored out big blocks in rather sedate bodies. A Cutlass or Monte Carlo was about as flashy as it got, a Caprice was the usual fare. But those boys could build a motor and loved to show them off. Displays included mostly burn outs, snatching gears. Blowers and No2 were verboden but big loppy cams and big inches were their drugs.

I suspect they like the mechanical aspect of your bike as it is not hidden under plastic body work ....we'er all the same.

Last edited by Fetch; 08/09/17 1:36 am.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider

so it isn't too pleasant if some Amish family buys a dairy farm that's real close to your house. This is an issue for my friends, a more monied group is now, and has been for about 8 years, pushing the Nebraskans out of Penn's Valley- buying up farms left n right........

..... There's been all manner of things happen within these communities since I've lived in PA. Amish drug rings, among other things, for example.

Think about it for a minute. Substitute the name of just about any other ethnic or religious group (Black, Jewish, Muslim, for example) for "Amish" in the above (try it, and say it), and that would qualify in some circles as "hate speech". Thank goodness they're just Christians and we can say what we want about them as a group without raising any eyebrows.... confused confused

Lannis

DOPE
DOPE
the amish where i live are all schwartzentrubers-- pretty basic, like the nebraska churches. only flat-wick kerosene lamps, flathead motors or diesels only in the sawmills or woodshops, and some of your income must be from farming.

but they're the friendliest people around. i'm a plain quaker, and they often walk up to me and ask, where you from?

which means, what the hell are you?

but the kids grin at the bikes. i went home the other day on the low road (three stream crossings) and came across two buggies coming the other way out of the woods. the two older daughters in the front buggy just smiled demurely as i went by, but the second buggy was full of grinning kids who all stuck their thumbs up as i passed on into the woods.

all the amish wave, always. and i've seen boom boxes and fuzzy dice in the teenager's buggies before.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by kevin roberts

but they're the friendliest people around. i'm a plain quaker, and they often walk up to me and ask, where you from?

which means, what the hell are you?

Speaking of which, everyone was asking where you were at the OVBSAOC this past week .... ? So 'fess up ....

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...in this country there are a few colonies of similar people. Mostly from Russia. One part form central Russia and the other from China s border.
These last ones came here in Mao times. They emigrated to USA, Uruguay and Argentina mostly. So may be these are the same?

I do not know if they are Amish, but they only talk in Russian and live in rural areas in the "middle of nowhere" working hard and living poor (poor simple houses etc). They do not have the stuff that you mention in the cars or houses. Mostly the women sports traditional Russian clothes.
Of course the men all have long beards due to the religion. They live in their own bubble (and tribe and that s do not like to many there--integration you know--more in a left party government like there are here)
I do not know anything else. They live in the other side of this country regarding where I live. Seems that the kids do not go to the school so I do not know how they deal with the government etc.

.regarding those guys there I always wondered about the sex part in their life. May be too mechanical, boring? or without surprises? or not too much interest in sex at all?

DOPE
DOPE

Speaking of which, everyone was asking where you were at the OVBSAOC this past week .... ? So 'fess up ....

annual convention of the religious society of friends, ohio yearly meeting, conservative, barnesville, ohio

once a year all the quakers in my cult get together to do business and plan schisms. this year it happened to be the same week as OVBSAOC. lasts for days. quakers don't talk a lot, so getting anything done takes forever. not over until late on first day.

i guess you didn't take the BSA home either

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by ricochetrider

so it isn't too pleasant if some Amish family buys a dairy farm that's real close to your house. This is an issue for my friends, a more monied group is now, and has been for about 8 years, pushing the Nebraskans out of Penn's Valley- buying up farms left n right........

..... There's been all manner of things happen within these communities since I've lived in PA. Amish drug rings, among other things, for example.

Think about it for a minute. Substitute the name of just about any other ethnic or religious group (Black, Jewish, Muslim, for example) for "Amish" in the above (try it, and say it), and that would qualify in some circles as "hate speech". Thank goodness they're just Christians and we can say what we want about them as a group without raising any eyebrows.... confused confused

Lannis

Not hateful at all tho. Just the facts as I know them.

How'd you like a generator running 24/7 a few yards from your house? I don't care who they are, that would severely impact the quality of a quiet country lifestyle. Think about a loud piece of equipment running all the time close enough to your house that you have to hear it and have it disrupting your idyllic location. Whoever it is that did that would go pretty close to the bottom of your list, I'd bet, and it wouldnt matter who or what they were.

Hate speech is more like implying that all ______ are ignorant pices of subhuman ____ and should all be killed. And instead if using the word Amish or Christian, or whatever, using a slur.

Rather than implying a constant loud noise near my bedroom window sucks and I'm not too happy about my new neighbors who are doing this.

Now it would also be hateful if, after uttering assorted slurs, following with comments about how "I'm not hateful towards ______! Why I held the door for one once at school and I used to work with one and he was one of the good ones, and I voted for a _____ once for city council!"

Hate speech is hate speech. It takes many forms.... but what I was saying is that my hippie farmer friends don't appreciate generators mucking up their little world.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/10/17 11:59 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by kevin roberts

i guess you didn't take the BSA home either

I've been sitting up late every night staring at the phone hoping beyond hope that they're going to call me and say "LANNIS! YOU WON THE RAFFLE BIKE!" since I had to leave just before they drew the ticket ....

But I'm starting to lose hope. And I was so sure I had the winning ticket .... !

Lannis

Life member
Life member
Somebody I don't know from PA won it.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
How'd you like a generator running 24/7 a few yards from your house? I don't care who they are, that would severely impact the quality of a quiet country lifestyle. Think about a loud piece of equipment running all the time close enough to your house that you have to hear it and have it disrupting your idyllic location. Whoever it is that did that would go pretty close to the bottom of your list, I'd bet, and it wouldnt matter who or what they were. 

true,... when is noise a nuisance ?

Pennsylvania has a nuisance law that deals with adjacent Property Owners rights and responsibilities

https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/_file/aglaw/Pennsylvania_Nuisance_Law.pdf

Pennsylvania also has a "right to farm law" that that may limit adjacent property owners
complaints arising
from normal Farm activity, like noise and smell , especially if the noise /smell has been there for years.
if its a new noise , not necessary or normal , its a nuisance

for me, the first step would be to talk to the neighbor.
does this group 'do neighbors '
a muffler is not a very expensive thing
it the neighbor was unwilling to buy a muffler , i would even concider buying them one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com