Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (bill50cal, Jaybird79, chaterlea25, Jon W. Whitley, Rich B, Lew101, Adam M., BrizzoBrit, robcurrie), 26 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#698139 06/11/17 2:27 pm
Odd member
OP Offline
Odd member
Got home Saturday afternoon with the great idea of going to Grob's camp, up there in Norfolk, must be old age creeping up on me. Cos the moment I got home, I just couldn't face the ride, after being up since midnight. So had me a glass of Vino, and crashed out... wink

Then this morning, I thought it best I check over the Hundred Dollar, seeing as it'll be taking me to Croatia in two weeks time. All was well, so well I went for a ride, whilst out and about, I called into a meeting point for a ride of old bikes. And as I was sat there chatting away, a lad came up and started to 'Slag' me off, for being sat on *That thing* and how it's not eligible for their ride... shocked

I pointed out the fact than in four years time it WILL be, and I'll make a point of riding it when it is. But I was shocked, SHOCKED I tells ya, what is it with these arseholes..? I've been riding old bikes, with this lot for 25yrs now, but, what if I was a prospect..? What if I'd popped in to see what they're about..? With these bloody idiots in clubs coming out with this shyte, how long do they think that club with last... mad

Sod em, say I...

Thanks for listening, normal service will be resumed in a New York heart beat... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
British motorcycles on eBay
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
none of those meet the criteria to join the ATOM riders as they have broken rule 2!

Odd member
OP Offline
Odd member
Being one of the founder members of the ATOM club, I DO indeed know this Baza lad... :bigt

Still comes as an experience, to have this shyte thrown at me, I've only heard others speak of. I HAVE heard this sort of thing before, from another club, that idiot even moaned at me for being in more than one club.. frown

He's got a life time ban from joining the ATOM club, so we're safe from his opinions I'm happy to say.... :bigt

ATOM....Any Type Of Motorcycle

OR

ATOM...All The Old Men

laughing beerchug :bigt

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Ah, KS, remember what the old Romans would have said, " non illigitimi carborundom "!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have only come across this with the BSA owners club, there had a huge debate on whether you had to own a BSA to join instead of the policy they then had which included intending to own one. That they thought the debate needing airing was enough to put me off joining, the local Classic club will allow you to do the rides on anything including moderns but there are incentives if you turn up on a classic.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I understand the concept of having a club for a particular brand. I DON'T understand the need that people seem to have to be full participants if they don't own or ride a bike of that brand?

The club is for shared experiences, shared information, shared parts, and a camaraderie based on the ups and downs and good and bad points of owning that kind of motorcycle. Just like it's not easy to free-climb a sheer mountain face, or to finish an Iron Man triathlon, it's not easy to own and ride and fix a 1946 AJS.

So why would someone with a 2007 Yamaha have their feelings hurt if they can't feel like a "full member" of the Vintage AJS club?

I've never understood it. I would never try to go to a BSA International Club Rally on or with something besides a BSA? Why would I?

There are PLENTY of clubs where you can just ride anything you want. I don't see the point because you don't need a club for that, but they exist ... Why won't those do for someone who wants to ride anything, instead of moaning that you don't feel accepted on your 2014 Road Glide at the Pioneer Rally when everyone else is riding a motorcycle 90 years old?

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Lannis old friend, you are so misguided on this subject that even I am shocked! Shocked I tells ya.

First and foremost, this has nothing to do with the BSAOC but as that is the club the has been wrongly dragged into the mire, we shall use that Owners Club to put a couple of things right.

Firstly as in the case of so many clubs, it is the BSA Owners Club not as some would have you believe, the BSA Riders Club. So that fictional man you turned away on the Yamaha, might well have had a barn full of old BSA's he may well have been the world authority on flat tankers, but now you will never know, because you turned him away. Maybe he can't kick a BSA over now, maybe he has a medical condition and can only ride the Yamaha, but you will never know.

Secondly, the fictitious Yamaha rider, may have turned up out of curiosity, maybe his dad or grandad once rode a BSA, and he wanted to see if a BSA was for him, but not now, because you just turned him away for turning up on his only bike.

This is why I don't really do clubs, because there is always someone in a hi vis jacket waiting to say, "you can't park there"

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Right Arm Kev!!!!!!

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Gotta agree a bike is a bike, if n your,e interested in other makes of motosickle so be it. I am a long time member of BSAOC but I ride other makes of bike but no appliances. I recently sold a BSA rigid B31 to a HD owning Muvafuka as he rode it away I asked him to let me know how he got on with it, two days passed and I had,nt heard nothing!! So I gave him a phone to ask for myself he told me he could not keep off it and had ridden the Little Beeza everywhere and also could not believe how nimble and quick it was and how it handled so much better than his HD, so another convert to BSA which can only be a good thing.. cant it... Dave

1941 BSA WM20
1958 TRI-BSA 750 PRE UNIT
1957 THUNDERBIRD
1932 R E MODEL GS SPECIAL
1947 BSA YM21
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Kev., I already knew how you felt about the subject so I also knew you'd be around .... and you know that I feel differently, although I'm not sure about "misguided" because I don't allow anyone to "guide" me on what I like and don't like ....

I've been around a long time, and I've seen as many things as you have, and I have to say that I really don't believe in the existence of the theoretical guy on an FJ09 Yamaha that has a barn full of BSAs at home and is the authority on flat tankers, but gets kicked to the curb from the BSA Open Day because he's not on a BSA. If it's an International, then he's already a Club Member and already knows the rules, so no one is "losing" a member. If it's any other event, then it's DESIGNED to attract everyone, BSA riders, owners, and owners of any sort of thing, and he's welcome at any of them.

But since there's a lot of history about the BSAOC and a lot of emotion, let's not use that as an example, even though it was mentioned above, because most folks can't talk about that objectively. Let's say it's the AJS/Matchless Owner's Club, or the Humbley-Pudge Owner's Club.

If the Humbley-Pudge OC is having a big rally and ride-out, and they are going to have field games and a big group photo, and they want to get as many H-Ps as possible in the picture, and they want a H-P display stand .... then WHY OH WHY would someone on a Suzuki be moaning because he can't be in the picture, and he can't go on the rides, and he can't ride in the field games? I've actually seen that happen ... someone INSISTING that the group be Inclusive and Welcoming and Why Can't I Play In Your Clubhouse even though I've never taken the time and trouble and commitment to have a Humbley-Pudge?

When I was coming along, and I saw a club that said "Brand X Only", and I was interested in Brand X, I would NEVER come breezing into a rally or ride, insisting that I be accepted even though I didn't meet the intent of any of the group's basic reasons for being. I would damn well take the time and trouble that everyone ELSE had taken, and I'd get me a Brand X and learn how to ride it and work on it, and EARN my way in, and enjoy the Humbley-Pudge tech sessions, and enjoy the club rivet counters telling me about my non stock rear fender bolt, and all that.

We already give every kid on the ball team a "Participation Trophy". EVERYONE gets a trophy just for being around. There's no competition, no trying to excel, no nothing, and eventually no satisfaction in any kind of accomplishment at all. It's all just gray air pudding ....

Nobody had to do ANYTHING to "assure that new people are attracted to the club" where I was concerned. The new people were interested or they weren't, and turning everything into gray mush so that no one's feelings get hurt by being "excluded" isn't going to do any good.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. By the way, you're welcome to whack me upside the head and smack me down and I won't say nothin', because I'll owe you forever for the bacon sarnie, tea, and tent on that rainy night in the back garden of The Plough in Two Dales .... !!

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
That is the very point Lannis, Shaun probably has more old bikes than the buffoon who moaned about him turning up on a Harley, and to be clear here, I am pretty certain it was not a BSAOC meet too, and as it happens I have been to lots of Rallies of all makes, including a BSA international, on my BMW, no one ever turned me away or moaned about it, and I shall be attending the prestigious Velocette meeting and show in a couple of weeks, on my Moto Guzzi, and they will be happy to have me on the field, in the show and amongst the Velo's, because they are a forward thinking club who appreciate any classic that turns up to visit them. Blimey, Graham even went to the Brough rally on his old nail Daisy

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Most unfortunate, Shaun. You never get that second chance for that first impression.....

I was invited to partake in the activities of a Yammie club in our capital state's city. Nice lads. We'd gone to purchase a run flat tire for Rose's former Mini. The lad who now previously owned the tyre was in a club, we got to talking and he invited us to come on up, partake in vittles and jawing. In other words, their chat and chew.

We haven't gone. But the point of the story's moral is there's some nice lads out there. And then there's some selfish twats out there.

Pick like-minded and similar folk.

Cheers, mate

Rich

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Now then, if I can say the final word on this, Shaun's talking about the vmcc, vintage motorcycle club. All types , and ages of bikes are accepted in the club. There is a hotly debated 25year rule. However in the rule book ANY motorcycle is allowed on normal standard runs for the very same reasons Kev said . The club is made of some of the nicest people I know, I've met many from all over the country.
Sadly, there's always the one, up his own jacksy , full of Bull, better than everyone Ayehole. Normally only the one, and it's a shame the whole club gets tarred with the same brush. At most of our ages, we should of accumulated more wisdom than this. Don't take offence, you most likely knew the character of the idiot in the first place.
I'm like Kev, I've got mates who've invited me to lots of BSA club camps over the years, they've got Beezas, I haven't. I've never been met with nothing but warmth and kindness. Infact they love me turning up on my old KX1140 or rusty old big4, occasionally I've turned up on my HD or YamSr5, Something different for them to peruse ! The array of bikes, at all one make club bikes is fantastic, tricked up cafe race triumphs, old HD , brand new Nortons Enfields and all. If you're out ther doing it , that's all that counts. So don't take offence of the minority

oily Enfield KX1140 [The Bombay ]
Rusty old Norton Big 4 Sports Tourer
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Bob Mitch

I'm like Kev, I've got mates who've invited me to lots of BSA club camps over the years, they've got Beezas, I haven't.

Last word, HAH! That's going to be a taller order than you think, me bonnie lad .... laughing

I had ridden my BSA up to Ohio for the Ohio Valley BSA OC rally, twenty years or so ago. I only had the one BSA, no other bikes.

While I was there, a nice guy (Jack Arnold), who lived nearby and was the Moto Guzzi National Owners Club representative for the state of Ohio, came over admiring my BSA and asked where I was from. When I told him "Virginia", he said "The MGNOC is having our National Rally next week in Virginia, you ought to come." I said "Well, I don't have a Moto Guzzi" and he said "That's OK, you can ride your BSA there and it'll be fine."

So I did. The next week, I rode my BSA to the Guzzi rally, and they "took me in". Three guys gave me their Moto Guzzis to ride to see how I liked them (and I can already tell you that would NOT happen at most rallies!). I was impressed by the bikes and especially by the people there, and as a result, I've had 6 Moto Guzzis since then and have two now.

So far so good. You DO need to be welcoming and "get the word out" about the bikes you love, and the Guzzi club here did that for America. HOWEVER, for ME, I wanted to get into the spirit of things. I wanted to be "part of the club" if there's going to be a club. I did not want to take advantage of the organization and the tolerance of the club, and show up to all the events on a Humbly-Pudge "just to show them" that I'm not dancing to their tune.

So when it's time to go to the OVBSAOC rally next month, I'm going to take a LOT of trouble to make sure I'm doing it on a BSA. Have I showed up on other brands when my BSAs were so broken from hard use and long miles that I couldn't get one on the road? Yes, I have. But I don't consider that "normal" or desirable. Would I show up to an International on a non-BSA? No, I wouldn't. I'd bust my ass to make sure that I and my friends had BSAs to ride so we could do it right.

If some newbie is ignorant of the customs, and shows up at an International on a Yamaha and says "Hey, what's this all about, what are you guys riding?", we'll welcome him with open arms and show him all about BSAs. But if someone says "I know this is a BSA rally, but I consider that intolerant and exclusive, and I'm going to show up on my Suzuki just to show you what a bunch of jobsworth arses you are and you can't tell ME what to ride", then I really really think that is wrong.

But that's just me, and anyone who wants can decide if they care or not! :bigt

Lannis

Odd member
OP Offline
Odd member
All I'm saying here is....

I DID NOT want to do their ride, nor join in that day, I was only there looking for a mate. I KNEW he'd most likely be there as an old bike owner, but he wasn't... shocked

I got a load of shyte for being on a Harley, and as the lad that was behind me, pulled up. He too got it for being on a Harley. So that Arsehole ASSUMED straight away we wanted to do the run, which we DID NOT, and in my tiny mind, I straight away thought what would happen if someone came along, wanting to join or find out what was going on... crazy

And the task of my posting this here, was to remind people not to jump to conclusions, but to ask before you bite someone's head off... wink

BUT you can bet your sweet bippy, when the Harley is 25yrs old in 4yrs time, I'll be at that very meeting spot, and I'll do the run with pride. Making sure the arsehole that moaned, is behind me... :bigt

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
All I'm saying here is....

I DID NOT want to do their ride, nor join in that day, I was only there looking for a mate. I KNEW he'd most likely be there as an old bike owner, but he wasn't... shocked

I got a load of shyte for being on a Harley, and as the lad that was behind me, pulled up. He too got it for being on a Harley. So that Arsehole ASSUMED straight away we wanted to do the run, which we DID NOT, and in my tiny mind, I straight away thought what would happen if someone came along, wanting to join or find out what was going on... crazy

And the task of my posting this here, was to remind people not to jump to conclusions, but to ask before you bite someone's head off... wink

BUT you can bet your sweet bippy, when the Harley is 25yrs old in 4yrs time, I'll be at that very meeting spot, and I'll do the run with pride. Making sure the arsehole that moaned, is behind me... :bigt

If I ever have another Harley, and I might, it'll be 60 years old the first time it rolls into my garage .... !

Lannis

Odd member
OP Offline
Odd member
BUT, and that's a big but you'll notice Lannis lad, I've always said, and by always I mean from about 1970. That when I was old enough I'd have me a shiny Harley, so I could ride it into the Sun, a couple of years ago I WAS Old enough, and this very Saturday I WILL be riding it into the Sun... wink

France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia then Croatia. Wouldn't want to do that on a 60yr old bike lad, not the way I ride... grin

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com