Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
BrizzoBrit
BrizzoBrit
Brisbane, Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 86
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (AngloBike, John Harvey, colorado47, rocketgoldie, Gordon Gray, Richrd, koan58, Hillbilly bike), 36 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
L
My understanding is that all MAC, MSS, Venoms, Vipers and Thruxtons had rear sprung frames, and all such frames carried numbers prefixed RSS.

Does anyone know if any rear sprung frames were ever made that carried the KDD prefix??

British motorcycles on eBay
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I must say here that my only involvement with Velos is that I think about them a lot , and wished I owned one, but I thought MAC's and MSS's were rigid frames until about '53 or '54!

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Originally Posted by Lost in Garage
My understanding is that all MAC, MSS, Venoms, Vipers and Thruxtons had rear sprung frames, and all such frames carried numbers prefixed RSS.

Does anyone know if any rear sprung frames were ever made that carried the KDD prefix??

Well, both MAC and MSS were built as rigid machines, later, they made them in swing arm versions, with extensive engine and gearbox changes (not to mention the Swing Arm frame).
VR, VM & Thruxton were only in the RS frame.
The swing arm frames are known as 'RS' because that is the prefix to the frame number. Other swing arm frames were the Scrambler, and late KTT. These are pretty rare though. (There was no RSS prefix as far as I'm aware but I stand to be corrected).

As far as the KDD prefix goes I'm not sure about this, but Velo did make a KDT model which was a modified KTT for speedway events.

Last edited by Joolstacho; 05/03/17 12:57 am. Reason: elaboration
L
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
L
Thanks, gents. At some stage I'll call upon Groves to look thru the factory RS records to shed light on it. In the meantime, as always, I'll keep working on more pressing matters mechanical.

Triless, stay clear of Velos, they can be highly addictive! laughing

Bry Offline
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by Lost in Garage

Hi, as Joolstacho has already stated, MAC's and MSS's started production as rigid frame bikes. The first swing arm MAC was introduced at the end of 1952 and the MSS was reintroduced with a swing arm frame at the end of 1953, for the '53 and '54 seasons. As far as I know, all production road (and scrambler) swing arm frame numbers were prefixed "RS". My rigid MSS frame number is prefixed "KDD", I believe this was also used as a prefix for KSS frames. Out of interest, why are you asking, do you have a "KDD" prefixed swing arm frame? Bry

1937 Rudge Ulster (project)
1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com