Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/08/23 12:00 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 90
DavidP 87
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 32
Lannis 26
DavidP 26
Newest Members
Igloo, patrickblue, j-bud, Uneasy Rider, Mally
12,395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,566
Posts784,683
Members12,395
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 140 of 143 1 2 138 139 140 141 142 143
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by gunner
I hope you reported this to the authorities
The message came in on a gmail account, so I hit the response that reported it to google as phishing. Beyond that, there's really nothing to be done since, as scams go, any agency would consider it petty change.

Coincidentally, the day that first email came in my wife got a call from a scared-sounded male voice saying "grandma, I need help." Since all three of our grand kids are girls, one of whom is just now learning to talk, and the other two were doing homework at our kitchen table, she wasn't entirely convinced…

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Coincidentally yesterday I had a scam text from a woman pretending to know me and asking how I was.
I responded politely suggesting that she had the wrong number.
She responded by saying that I sounded a nice guy and would I like to meet up with her in New York (just over the river from where I live in New Jersey).
I had obviously been a victim of a prostitutes marketing ploy.
I guess doing that in the warm with a phone beats standing at a cold street corner!

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Coincidentally yesterday I had a scam text from a woman pretending to know me and asking how I was.
I responded politely suggesting that she had the wrong number.
She responded by saying that I sounded a nice guy and would I like to meet up with her in New York.........
Setting you up to be robbed?

OR, it could be the wife checking up on you. You know, getting a friend's help to set up a little sting operation.

(I sound way too cynical don't I.)

DOPE
DOPE
i had a gentleman email me with an offer to sell me an ARD magneto. coincidentally the pictures he sent me were of my own ARD magneto from my thread on britbike.

since i already owned the magneto in question, i discontinued the discussion.

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
would I like to meet up with her in New York (just over the river from where I live in New Jersey)
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I ask, what was she like?...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
MMan--- she had a figure like I have never seen before---- oh s**t--- I am not supposed to admit to that am I?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I live across the George Washington Bridge from Tridentman, in Manhattan. Over here, they still use phone boxes. Not that I would know, of course..

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Hmm, you two seem to have a lot of knowledge of the subject.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just like my bikes--- all second hand!

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
As a heads-up for the, optimistically, two people who might be interested, below is the draft Preface for a Black Ariel "shop manual" that I should have ready to publish on Amazon as print-on-demand within a few weeks. Replacing the thumbnails with high-resolution images, as well as formatting, are time-consuming tasks that aren't quite done and, although I thought I had finished editing the book several times already, I'm still finding more text to deal with as I replace the images. The completed book with over 500 images should be approximately 300 pages. Anyway, although the book is essentially done now, realistically, it probably won't be completely done for several more weeks.

Most of the information in the book is available for free in the approximately 3500 posts that constitute my rebuilding thread on Britbike. However, finding specific information on a given topic in such a thread can be quite difficult since it easily could be in several posts separated by months, if not years. Because of this, I re-organized the material in those chronological posts into sections by topic (crankshaft, valve guides, gearbox, etc.). Obviously, there aren't enough people in the world interested in rebuilding 1928 Ariels that I could hope to recover even a trivial hourly pay rate for the time this has required. I'll count myself lucky if it earns enough to pay for just the copyright fee and Kindle's production cost.

------- Draft --------
The Ariel Chronicles
Charles M. Falco

Preface
This book resulted from thoroughly documenting the complete rebuild of a 1928 Ariel Model C down to the last nut and bolt to prepare it for the 3500-mile trans-U.S. Motorcycle Cannonball event, as well as when the engine and gearbox were re-rebuilt after subjecting it to the stress of that event, which was more than the factory had in mind when it was designed nearly a century ago. This total restoration required milling, latheing, boring, reaming, honing, pressing, pulling, TIGing, torching, brazing, soldering, wiring, grinding, cutting, magnetizing, Magnafluxing®, oscilloscoping, milli- and megaohm-metering, precision measuring, painting, and probably a few other '-ings', all of which are detailed in the book.

Although the title says this book is a chronicle ("a detailed record in chronological order"), and although it was originally in that form, here the author has reorganized that information into what he believes to be the most complete and detailed shop manual available for rebuilding a 1928 Ariel Model C. The contents originated as detailed notes, written in first person, and are in a mixture of past and present tense. While it took considerable time to get this book into its present form, calling it "Chronicles" saved the author from the additional editing effort that would have been required to call it a "manual.

The author's original restoration didn't proceed in the linear order of the Table of Contents, and some steps were done when he originally rebuilt the machine, and then redone several years later when he re-rebuilt the engine and gearbox after the Cannonball. Reorganizing the material into the present topical order required a significant amount of cutting and pasting, with inevitable issues that would have required additional editing time to locate and correct. However, hopefully, the reader will find that the usefulness of the information in this book outweighs the defects in editing. One other important note is that several approaches the author tried along the way didn't work out, but he felt it was useful to leave that information in the book to keep someone else from wasting their time trying those same approaches. As a result, it is important to read each section in its entirety before using it as a guide for a given task. However, in the end it is the reader's responsibility to decide what material in this book to use, and what to ignore.

While this book shows the tools and techniques that were used, how to properly use certain tools and perform some tasks is difficult to convey with words and static images, and is best done by in-person training at the side of someone knowledgeable. Although that's typically not possible for most people, an accurate video done by a knowledgeable person often can be an acceptable substitute. Unfortunately, the problem with videos is twofold: not all relevant subjects are covered by YouTube® videos, and a significant fraction of the ones that exist are seriously flawed in ways that might not be obvious to someone who doesn't already know how to do whatever it is the video is trying to show.

The author is making this book available, not with the delusion it will make a fortune by hitting the best-seller list, but as a service to anyone in the future who finds themself rebuilding a 1928 Ariel. Actually, a significant amount of the information in the book is relevant for anyone who rebuilds an old motorcycle of any age or brand, although the title should do a good job keeping most people from discovering that fact.

About the Author
Professionally, the author is an Emeritus Professor of Optical Sciences and of Physics, is Fellow of four engineering, optics, and physics professional societies, has published more than 275 scientific manuscripts, co-edited two scientific books, has seven U.S. patents, and given over 400 invited talks at conferences, research institutions, and cultural organizations in 33 countries. However, ever since his first ride on the back of a Triumph Thunderbird at age ten he has maintained a keen interest in motorcycles of all kinds. Over the past fifty years he has assembled one of the largest private collections of motorcycle books and literature in existence, contributed articles and columns to 'The Antique Motorcycle', 'Early-Riders Magazine', 'Motorcycle Collector Magazine', and 'Walneck's Classic Cycle Trader', edited 'Motorcycling at the Turn of the Century', wrote 'The Gold Star Buyer's Companion', co-authored 'The Motorcycle: Design, Art, Desire', and wrote an essay on the history of motorcycles as well as the Bibliography for the catalog of the record-breaking Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum's 'The Art of the Motorcycle' exhibition. He also was co-curator of that award-winning 1998 exhibition as well as the 2020 'The Motorcycle: Design, Art, Desire' exhibition for the Queensland Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane, Australia. Combining his background and interests, he has assembled for his own use one of the best-equipped motorcycle restoration shops in the country with which he has done extensive work on his twenty motorcycles, including the 1928 Ariel on which he successfully competed in the cross-country Motorcycle Cannonball.

2 members like this: NYBSAGUY, chaterlea25
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi MM, thanks for taking the time to and effort to organize the material in this post into a format that can be published in a book.

Unfortunately I'm not one of the two people lucky enough to be rebuilding an Ariel Model C over the next few years, so I probably won't be purchasing a copy of your latest book.

For anyone relying on searching through this thread for info, I just discovered that its possible to download the entire thread by first being inside this thread and then selecting the "Thread Options" just below the "Forums" link and then selecting "Print Thread". This results in the entire thread being visible which can then be saved as a .HTML file.

I checked the above using Firefox, in Edge its slightly easier as "Print Thread" seems to be shown by default instead of "Thread Option".

Good luck with with the book MM, I'm sure its a winner and also, this has been one of the best threads I've ever read from the initial plan for the Cannonball, through to restoring the Aerial and then doing the ride, no doubt the published version will be a much better read that the jumble of posts in the original.

Last edited by gunner; 11/20/22 7:13 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
1 member likes this: Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
I probably won't be purchasing a copy of your latest book.
Damn, there goes at least one-third of my potential profits.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
MMan--- you mention that many of the problems (and their solutions) are common to many old British bikes and not just the 1928 Ariel.
I agree and against this backdrop I will certainly buy a copy of your book.
Perhaps you could post when it is actively on the market?

2 members like this: kevin, George Kaplan
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Perhaps you could post when it is actively on the market?
Will do. If I price it at $500k I'll only have to sell one copy...

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: George Kaplan
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I agree and against this backdrop I will certainly buy a copy of your book....................Perhaps you could post when it is actively on the market?
Tridentman beat me to it. I will also buy one for the same reason. (I guess it wont be out by Christmas when I could maybe get someone else to buy it for me)

Bravo MM.

John.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I probably won't be purchasing a copy of your latest book.
Damn, there goes at least one-third of my potential profits.

In retrospect, there's a small chance I could find an Ariel 3 and restore it, which would technically make me an Ariel owner and make purchasing the book worthwhile, even though the skills and techniques in the book are way way in advance of anything needed, but would see your profit margin rise, and would also be a good reference for other restorations.

Last edited by gunner; 11/21/22 12:27 am.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Obviously, I knew I had "rebuilt" the Ariel, but it took pulling all the information together from 3500 posts into a book for me to appreciate what had been involved in that undertaking. In light of the written evidence, I think "rebuild" is the wrong word.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Actually, I think I will buy the book when it makes and appearance on Amazon, let us know publishing date and I will stock up my printer with paper and ink.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I will stock up my printer with paper and ink.
Dont buy any paper yet. I am not an expert as I don't think I have ever purchased a Print on Demand (PoD) book from Amazon but I am pretty sure Amazon do the printing and not the purchaser.

PoD is (as far as I can tell) a cheap way for an author to publish books expected to be low volume sales but the buyer still gets a physical book, its just that it only gets printed when someone places an order.

John

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
the buyer still gets a physical book, its just that it only gets printed when someone places an order.
That's right. Considering only the per-copy print cost, the least expensive would be a large run on a conventional press, while the most expensive would be a color printer at your house. However, a decade ago equipment became available that could print and bind a single copy of one book, then immediately switch to doing the same for a different title, at a cost between those two extremes.

As for distribution, large boxes filled with books trucked to bookstores is fairly inexpensive, although a printer at home would be even lower. Somewhat higher is to have regional print-on-demand facilities to produce the books, with shipping taken care of by post offices or Amazon trucks. This made it possible to make available specialized, low-demand books that wouldn't have been profitable for conventional publishers. My Gold Star book is an example.

Another advantage of print-on-demand is the book never will go out of print as long as Amazon remains in business. Radco's 'The Vintage Motorcyclist's Workshop' was available for a few years after it was published in 1986, until the warehouse ran out of copies from the initial press run. It then was out-of-print for the next ~25 years, available only from used book dealers, until it was reprinted in 2012. However, it again went out of print, and again is only available if you can find a used copy. In contrast, if a second person appears 25 years from now who wants my Ariel book, they'll only have to add it to their Amazon cart.

However, it again went out of print, and again is only available if you can find a used copy.

You would think the copyright owner would have no objection to the material being OCR'ed into PoD format?
But I'm a naif when it comes to the publishing industry, whereas MM is a grizzled veteran.

Against stupidity
the gods themselves
contend in vain.
― Frederich Schiller
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
However, a decade ago equipment became available that could print and bind a single copy of one book, then immediately switch to doing the same for a different title, at a cost between those two extremes.
When Amazon first launched PoD I did read some reports of quality issues but I am pretty sure that these issues have now been ironed out so I will be doubly interested in getting a copy of this seeing as I am a PoD Virgin.

John.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I am pretty sure Amazon do the printing and not the purchaser.

Interesting, that will certainly save my printer from some hard work and I look forward to the publication date.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Didn't realize that I am a PoD virgin!
I don't feel different!
A long time since I was a virgin at anything!

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
You would think the copyright owner would have no objection to the material being OCR'ed into PoD format?
Au contraire, I would expect the copyright owner to have major objection. When a book is published the author (or their heirs) receives a royalty for their effort in writing the book, but if someone scanned, OCR'd and uploaded a book for PoD, that person would receive the royalties, not the author. At least, until they were sued to recover lost royalties plus the large penalty that copyright law allows for (in the U.S., civil penalties up to $150k and criminal penalties up to $250k plus 5 years imprisonment)..

Especially given how readily available scanners and printers are, many people seem to "feel" like it "should" be OK to make copies, but doing so is nothing less than stealing. While some tangible aspects of book publishing, like the printing and distribution, are easy to visualize and quantify, no less real is the intangible intellectual contribution of the author.

Originally Posted by George Kaplan
When Amazon first launched PoD I did read some reports of quality issues but I am pretty sure that these issues have now been ironed out …
I published 'The Gold Star Buyer's Companion' on CreateSpace which, although owned by Amazon, was run independently until 2018. At that time it disappeared into Amazon's Kindle. This will be my first experience dealing with Kindle's interface.

1 member likes this: kevin
Page 140 of 143 1 2 138 139 140 141 142 143

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com