Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
Florida
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 61
DavidP 57
kevin 54
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
Lannis 20
Newest Members
BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland, Daideo, kenjon
12,210 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (htown70, Hugh Jörgen, L.A.B., gavin eisler, MurrG, jpjohn), 14 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,535
Posts776,179
Members12,210
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I have a 12v coil with 1 and 15 in place of good old + and -
does anyone know which is which on these?
TIA
Cheers
Dennis B

Member # 182
'73 750 Commando
'72 Combat Commando
'71 Triumph Blazer
'69 Victors
'68 Starfire
'51 Royal Enfield 250 'S'

British motorcycles on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Dennis,

Originally Posted by Dennis B
12v coil with 1 and 15 in place of good old + and -

SIBA coil? In any event, they're German DIN standard - 1 is -ve and 15 is +ve.

Hth.

Regards,

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks Stuart,
just what I needed
not sure of the brand, but I think it is German
looks near new so I thought I would test it
Cheers
Dennis B

Member # 182
'73 750 Commando
'72 Combat Commando
'71 Triumph Blazer
'69 Victors
'68 Starfire
'51 Royal Enfield 250 'S'

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Easy way to remember.... Terminal 1 goes to the distributor (points), which grounds the system. Since most German vehicles are Neg Gnd, 1 is therefore negative.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Easier— What does a one look like? What does the symbol for negative look like?
John

DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
what was wrong with + and - ?

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Too obvious for Bosch wink

DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
it's got to be a german thing.

i used to deliver steel to a german-owned warehouse in chicago. an immense place-- 60-foot high racks of bar, angle, tube, and strap, all shapes and sizes, stored lengthwise in little cubbyholes, hole after hole, rack after rack.

the unloaders would crane the steel off my truck onto a table, and then punch a series of buttons to tell the computer where to pick up the steel, where in the warehouse to take it, and which cubbyhole to shove it into. then the automatic overhead crane would loom into view and take it away.

as i remember, the keypad was about fifteen buttons across and a dozen buttons high. all the buttons were labelled with individual and unique icons to tell the operator which button told what to the computer. but because there were so many functions, the icons were incomprehensible-- squiggles, squares, lightning bolts, zigs, zags, stars, and triangles. the symbols were all unique, but there was no ergonomic symbolism visible anywhere. couldn't tell what the buttons did.

attached to the side the keypad was a manufacturer-supplied key to the buttons in english, with words to tell the operator what crane actions corresponded to what symbol, so he could go to the keypad and punch the correct buttons.

by doing it this way, the germans had to provide each destination country with two sets of instructions-- one universal keypad with the heiroglyphics, and then a matching language-coded sign to interpret the symbols.

nobody in germany ever thought to just put the language-codes (which they had to make up anyway for each country) on the buttons themselves, and then to just skip the icons.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Our company was bought by a German company, what we though was going to go well quickly became a disaster.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
As a automotive technician I've had the pleasure(or lack of) of working on alot of makes of cars and over the years I have come to a few conclusions. One of them is that German engineers aren't exactly known for elegant solutions to problems, they get the job done but typically done in the most complicated manner. Kind of a shame as the needless complication has a huge negative effect on a relaibility on a otherwise well built product

1970 BSA A65L
1974 Yamaha RD350
1975 Honda CB400F
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Kev,

Originally Posted by kevin roberts
what was wrong with + and - ?

Doesn't really matter on bikes, but which system - colour-coded wire insulation or numbered terminals - is more easily-expandable? Wiring harness for, say, a modern S-class Merc done with colour-code insulation?

Regards,

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by RF Whatley
Easy way to remember.... Terminal 1 goes to the distributor (points), which grounds the system. Since most German vehicles are Neg Gnd, 1 is therefore negative.

Well John, it's easy for me !! I started my career on VW Beetles in the early 60's. Back then Terminal #1 was connected to a short wire dangling between the coil and the distributor body. It couldn't have been 6 inches long. I always supposed the Germans started the numbering with either the shortest or most important wire !

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
thats a good point, stuart. but if a conventional coil is used, there will be only two terminals, and only two ways to hook it up.i dont see an advantage to an intelligent technician in using a numbered system for that component.

batteries also have only two posts. how does mercedes benz identify battery terminals?

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Kev,

if a conventional coil is used, there will be only two terminals, and only two ways to hook it up.i dont see an advantage to an intelligent technician in using a numbered system for that component.

Mmmm ... but terminal numbers aren't restricted to ignition coils. Dunno about the US but I've been using, say, numbered relay terminals as long as I've been installing relays, since the early 1980's; even Lucas coded relay terminals on the 6RA relays it supplied to Triumph and BSA from '69 for twin horns. One of the potential advantages of something like the DIN system is, if every component has numbered terminals, you shouldn't end up with, say, coil +ve (#15) connected to relay high input (#30). smile

Talking of relays, there are two different layouts of terminals on the common 4-terminal on/off 'cube' relay, with the positions of terminals #30 and #86 transposed. As #86 is one of the switching terminals while #30 is the switched input, and the terminals are all standard 1/4"-wide male spades in the same positions, at best one type of relay won't work in a socket wired for the other? However, if you have terminal numbers on socket and relay, it's easy to check that the new relay you're about to install has the desired terminal layout? smile

batteries also have only two posts. how does mercedes benz identify battery terminals?

Depends on the battery maker. I've never seen one with just numbers by the terminals, but I didn't start using German batteries 'til the mid-1980's; ime certainly then, they could have numbers and + and - beside the terminals.

Regards,

DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
i suppose that would work if you're encountering machines of different kinds on a daily basis, like a general-purpose tech would. i always stick a VOM against a relay (or a switch) and work out what is which from first principles. i've always been ignorant of markings systems.

in the end, it's just a code, and whatever people are familiar with is what ought to be maintained. i'm familiar with + and -, but if standardized numbers make sense to people then that is what they should stick with.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Standards are wonderful things, that's why there are so many different ones. laughing

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Industrial relays and switches are also number coded 11=common, 13 =N/O,14=N/C, A1 and A2 = coil. For relays with more contacts they are then continued 21/23/24, 31/33/34, etc
I remember car coils being labelled CB (contact breaker) and SW (switch) but no indication if positive or negative earth

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
knuckle head
knuckle head

Harley dual output coils have no markings on the primary terminals...In the mid 70's I had a 72 Opel 1900 with the numbered markings on the electrical system....Construction electricians use use colors to identify phasing and grounding, but numbers are used on control wires..Might be hundreds of wires in a power plant control panel all with stick on numbers/letters...I rewired bikes and hots rods in one or two colors...Not a big deal because most home mechanics, can't figure out the few wires on a vintage Brit bike despite them being different colors.. grin....

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi,

Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Harley dual output coils have no markings on the primary terminals...

... which probably reflects that, with ignition coils, doesn't really make any difference which way you connect 'em, they still produce an HT spark? wink

Regards,

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hook a coil backwards and it will show up on an asilascop sp? Used to use one years ago. They said it lowered the output. Not sure it did though.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Dual output coils are connected differently internally.
A single output coil has the primary and secondary windings both connected to the terminal that the points connect to. The primary circuit is from the battery, through the coil primary, through the points to earth and back to the battery. The secondary circuit is from the secondary winding, across the spark plug to earth and into the condensor, the condensor then connects to the coil.
In a twin output coil the primary and secondary windings are completely separate. The primary circuit is from the battery, through the coil primary, through the points to earth and back to the battery. The secondary circuit is from the coil secondary winding across a plug, through the head, across the other plug and then return to the other end of the secondary winding.
With a dual output coil it does not matter which way the primary terminals are connected or which HT lead goes to which plug

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
Dual output coils are connected differently internally.
A single output coil has the primary and secondary windings both connected to the terminal that the points connect to. The primary circuit is from the battery, through the coil primary, through the points to earth and back to the battery. The secondary circuit is from the secondary winding, across the spark plug to earth and into the condensor, the condensor then connects to the coil.
In a twin output coil the primary and secondary windings are completely separate. The primary circuit is from the battery, through the coil primary, through the points to earth and back to the battery. The secondary circuit is from the coil secondary winding across a plug, through the head, across the other plug and then return to the other end of the secondary winding.
With a dual output coil it does not matter which way the primary terminals are connected or which HT lead goes to which plug

The dual output coils from Pazon are marked + and -. The 3-5 ohm Pazon coils appear to me as repackaged Japanese multi cylinder coils...However, with reference to what Andy says above I have no idea if it matters and terminals might be identified just make sure individual wires don't get mixed up.

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
In the UK, colour coding for wiring for cars was standardised in the early 1960s under "BS-AU7 Colour Code for Vehicle Wiring", although TVR continued to make wiring harnesses with black cables and collars into the late 1970s.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

I'd rather have the numbers than a poorly translated manual with some unknown element called a "DC Consent."
I kid you not, that term is in the schematic of a factory Yamaha wiring diagram from the 80's. I could only guess that it's a relay, but a 30 and an 87 terminal would remove all doubt.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
Not totally sure how I got here....
However I find this whole topic very funny. Typical marking of a coil as to german 1 or 15 or others as +/- to me seems a bit strange, specifically ignorant.
on coils there is the low side of the primary as the grounded side through the points. Ground symbol (upside down christmas tree) and "E" for coil drive voltage located at the intermediate primary coil attachment to the HV part of the coil.

So up side down christmas tree is the same and universally correct for + OR - ground systems as coils are unaware and otherwise not responsive to polarity. These symbols should identify the functioal LOCATION within the coil to really identify the true characteristic.

E

ground.jpg

dynodave
I like Norton Heavy Twins
http://atlanticgreen.com
INOA
NENO
http://www.NNENO.org
NOC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com