Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
I have a chance to buy a titled b40t and I am wondering how hard these are to restore correctly. Parts availability mostly. I can get it for 500, but it is pretty much a core bike. I will see if I can get pics up. Not running, engine is lowned etc. I am a motorcycle mechanic by trade (newer stuff), so labor is free.

1975 MK3 commando
1971 T100c
1970 B44VS
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
P
Pat Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Lots of owners like them. Is the tin all there,etc. $500 for a titled bike is pretty cheap. Sponsors on this site have lots of parts.

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Hey Terry

I would. I almost did but looked at all the bikes in the shop and sold my C15 trials project and my B40 Enduro Star to a couple of local enthusiasts. I found most of the engine bits but that was a few years ago. For my model, I even found the correct gearbox sprocket. First thing to do is buy the Rupert Ratio books which include Rupert's project B40 Enduro Star which he built from found bits.

I just found that at the age of 75, my Norton Atlas, T100R Daytona (regular rider) and my T100 ISDT replica project is about all I need what with working and other things I need to do.

Good luck on your project. If I can be of any help, shout.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes, no, maybe...

Depends on how you define "restore correctly". As a trail bike, MXer, showroom condition, etc..?

Though a pretty simple bike, there are a few unique and/or obscure parts that may be hard to find (gastank, muffler, pipe, seat, fenders... though some repops are available, and less than correct substitutions can pretty easily be made).

Parts are as expensive as any other vintage Brit, but bike's value is on the low side, so you need to figure what makes sense for you... even a free bike could be too expensive. Peter at BSAunitsingles.com, who will probably chime in here, has most items you'd probably be looking for, and is well versed in this model.

What is the condition of the engine? Can't figure out what you're trying to say in your description. As a mechanic, it shouldn't present any great problems to you.

These are fun bikes, and depending on what you have to work with, and where you want to go with it, $500 may be a sweet deal... pictures would be a big help for getting opinions.

Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
It's only worth it if you keep it. If your trying to make a buck off of it, stick to a Triumph or BSA twin. I don't think there is a big market for unit singles unless its a Victor or a Triumph Cub. If there is a market, its rather slim. I would purchase it and make it a nice project to keep you out of trouble :bigt

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Sponsor
Sponsor
If it is a core add $2000 and you'll have a nice and fun bike to ride around that will look basically correct. If you are missing the alloy tank and short seat you will spend more than $2000. If you want it to look like a new one with all the right items, have beautiful chrome, etc.. add another $3000+ and that is doing most of the work yourself. I guess you will need to decide where you cross the line from being worth it or not. I have just about all the parts you'd need to make it mechanically sound and some you'd need to make it "correct". And what do you mean by core? Motor, frame and a bunch of rusty items? What year is it? The 1965 with a sidepoints motor is the best year to spend money on. It is a better motor to work with.

Peter

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
2500 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If truly a B40T, it would be 63-64, with distributor.

If it is a 63 (with chrono speedo), it may have a bit more value due to rarity, as apparently only 30-some were made.

T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T

1975 MK3 commando
1971 T100c
1970 B44VS
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T

1975 MK3 commando
1971 T100c
1970 B44VS
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
I just posted a link to some craigslist pics of it. The ad says good compression, but when I took a look at it the motor didn't move. Maye it's just Suuuuupppppeeeerrr high compression smile

1975 MK3 commando
1971 T100c
1970 B44VS
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
$200

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
I would love to find a cyclone in the same condition, or any condition really from restored on down.

1975 MK3 commando
1971 T100c
1970 B44VS
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Well, this doesn't sound like an very good match then... you'd need to be really pleased with the finished bike to warrant putting in the financial and physical effort needed on this one. Unlikely that you'd get purchase price back even parting this out.

P
Pat Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
There is a 441 square barrel sitting on the floor. Maybe a package deal?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The tank is from an OIF 71 onwards single.

Sponsor
Sponsor
The tank looks to be an aftermarket plastic tank with a twist on cap. No value there. The value is the motor (if not an internal lump of rust), the exhaust, the muffler (if also not an internal lump of rust), the seat pan (if it just has surface rust). The hubs are hard to give away even stripped of the rusty rims, oil tank a nominal amount. So a determined parts stripper could get out about what it is being sold for (plus or minus a bit) but that is a lot of work for no money. I'd pay $350 to $400 for it in a snap if I were local to it because I could use some of the parts in other projects. For a real friend of the singles it could be worth $500 and then a few thousand more to make it presentable and reliable to ride. But you'd have to want an Enduro Star before even setting eyes on this one.

Peter

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
2500 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Very little of the unique ES bits on it. Would be a great candidate for a vintage trail bike but not for a restoration IMHO.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
Aftermarket tank? Looks like an OIF tank like Kommando has stated.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nope, I agree with Peter. It's a fairly common aftermarket plastic tank.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
Interesting to see the US market perspective. I would snap it up and restore it at that price if it was in UK. It's a rare bike here; even in that condition it would fetch the best part of £1000 ($1250)as would most unit singles.

VicCyclone

1965 A50 Cyclone Clubman
1966 Victor GP
1967 Victor Special
1968 Victor Special
1968 A65L

2009 HD FXDC
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
The tank is a plastic aftermarket. Cracked also. Thanks for the opinions guys. You kind of talked me down. I do have a few britbike already. A mk3 Commando , a t100c triumph and a Victor special, but I love the looks of the enduro star. I would really like a cyclone though. So if anyone has a line on one, let me know.

1975 MK3 commando
1971 T100c
1970 B44VS
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I'll say what others have said. If it is what you want to ride see if he'll take 300-400 and then with another @2000 you can have a decent rider. Otherwise look for something else.

Mr Mike

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com