Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 67
quinten 64
DavidP 57
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 17
Newest Members
gwallis, Bruce B, GuzistaM33, MarginalMotors, PETEFORD
11,774 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gordon Gray, Tommy Thomas, John Alexander, Steve Erickson), 29 guests, and 107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#637511 01/29/16 2:43 am
Boomer Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So it seems I've been bitten twice now. Last year I sent a perfect ZB Gold Star barrel in for a new liner and after the liner was pressed in there was a pop and a crack appeared the full length and depth of the cylinder.

[Linked Image]

Well another liner was procured and all is well.

So I started to send some other barrels to a shop in California that does beautiful fin repair work. I have had three done with no problems and the work is done so well to the point that you can't see any repairs. In early December I send him a barrel for my BB Gold Star that needs only a minor repair on one fin. Last week I email the shop to find out the progress and I'm asked "what barrel? When did you send it?" I sent it Dec 9th as my USPS receipt shows so I look up the tracking and it shows it was delivered to his "parcel locker" on Dec 13th, a Sunday. Turns out Sunday night his parcel locker was broken into, one of several times in December, and my parcel, and barrel, disappeared.

Luckily I did have it insured for $500 and I'm going through the claim process. Problem is I don't know if I can find another BB Gold Star barrel, let alone one for $500.

Woe is me, frown

Bill B...

Boomer
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Boomer #637524 01/29/16 6:34 am
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Did you break a mirror recently?

Boomer #637533 01/29/16 9:50 am
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
That IS bad luck. $1500 worth of dead Gold Star barrels, and nothing to put back on the bike.

Same sort of thing happening (for the same sort of money) with my Moto Guzzi 8 valve engine, except in this case it was malfeasance on the part of whoever designed and built the camshaft and cam followers for that motor.

Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes the windshield ....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
Boomer #638048 02/01/16 3:41 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Jeez, Boomer!
Well when the Gold Star barrel goes awry, there's always the

WINE barrel.
Or whisky barrel.

Not much if a substitute, admittedly- but maybe there is at least a weensy bit of relief there?

PS: what about HIS insurance? Any possibility of help there, perhaps?

Last edited by ricochetrider; 02/01/16 3:42 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Boomer #638072 02/01/16 5:39 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Well that certainly sucks Bill. You haven't run over a black cat or anything recently have you?

I'll keep my peepers peeled for you.

Mark F.
'52 ZB34 Gold Star.
'65 Lightning Rocket.
'74 Roadster Commando.

Boomer #638182 02/02/16 11:23 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
[Linked Image]

My Lucas crystal ball tells me that in the future such cracks as this will be repairable using laser guided electron beam welding. You'll be able to mount this on a workbench outdoors, and NASA (or the NSA) will call in such a satellite or drone and zap it from on high. The cost will be covered by your Medicare Plan S (Smithsonian-grade old stuff), and a deduction will be made to your life-time restoration budget.

The only hang up will be that the young Turks running the satellite won't have a listing for 'cast iron' in their manuals. laughing

Actually, the old cylinder is very useful as a pattern from which new parts could be cast and finish machined. Do some research on "rapid prototyping" in your locale. The proliferation of 3D CAD modeling (especially Pro/E and SolidWorks) has got small shops springing up everywhere that do this type work. Most use 5-axis mills to simply hog the part out of a block, but there are also rapid prototype casting concerns where up to 5 parts are made in 'soft-tooled' molds. (The high cost within the casting process being the previously required "hard tooling".) Since the major cost is avoided, the finished part is quite affordable. If you make 5 and sell the other 4, yours could end up nearly free. (Please put me down for 1 smile )

Even if the finished part is aluminum, you can install a liner and throw some sand in the paint to make the finished part look like cast iron.

Additionally
, while the part is modeled in 3D, stress analysis can be run on the model to determine why it cracked and failed the way it did. Cracks such as this typically start in one weak area and then propagate to other much stronger areas. With this understanding, the 3D model can then be tweaked in very subtle ways to avoid the same catastrophy in the future. Often times only .040" more material need be added in one small area to stop a failure.

:bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
Boomer #638190 02/02/16 12:03 pm
Boomer Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
These barrels, or for that matter all Gold Star alloy barrels, always seem to crack where the headbolt tunnel is and start at the base. Probably due to machining the clearance for the bolt thus making the muff thinner in that area. The machinist I have been using says the casting is very porous and difficult to weld.

He said he could weld this barrel but would have to break every fin to get to the inside crack and then weld up every fin, needless to say a lot of expense.

Bill B...

Last edited by Boomer; 02/02/16 12:06 pm. Reason: Added info

Boomer
Boomer #638203 02/02/16 2:03 pm
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
All the barrels I have had sleeved for the past 20 years have been aluminum sleeves with Nikasil. I have had Millenium and Advanced Sleeve do the work. It turns out that they do not use an interference fit any longer as they have found that a zero fit and Loctite performs better. After reading this post, I think I see why.

Best of luck!

David

Boomer Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Jeez, Boomer!
Well when the Gold Star barrel goes awry, there's always the

WINE barrel.
Or whisky barrel.

I do all my whining in the basement.

[Linked Image]

Bill B...

Boomer
Boomer #641233 02/22/16 3:09 pm
Boomer Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well I filed an insurance claim for the lost barrel. I had $500 insurance on it and thought that would almost cover it. Got a reply back Friday and today called the Inspectors office for an explanation. Apparently, even though it was unusually delivered on a Sunday, it was left in a parcel locker and scanned delivered. Once it's scanned delivered, insurance no longer is covered. So I guess I'm SOL all around. I can appeal but I think it may be to no avail.

Bill B...

Boomer
Boomer #658969 07/01/16 9:31 pm
Boomer Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well, what do you know. After four appeals and four months I got a check in the mail today from USPS for $524.99. After showing that the recipient did not receive the parcel I was still denied three times for the lack of a receipt for the part. When I told them it was a part on a bike that I bought 20 years ago they then said they wouldn't pay on sentimental value. When I sent them a price list from Phil Pearson showing a new big fin cylinder listed for $763 (at that time) they said I would need to show a quote from a reputable shop???? I finally found a shop in Australia that wrote me a quote and pointed out that their claim form under proof of value only needed a statement of costs. I received a check today with no explanation.

Now, who has a die cast BB34 barrel they would part with?

Bill B...

Boomer
Boomer #659007 07/02/16 8:25 am
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Ha, I guess it ain't over til it's over. But half the equation is already in place. :bigt
Good luck finding a new barrel.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Boomer #659018 07/02/16 9:58 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
WOW. USPS has done nothing but screw me, with plenty valid proof of USPS' fault!!!!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Boomer #659085 07/02/16 8:36 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The good thing is, it wasn't lost in shipping somewhere, as in fell off the truck or what have you. However, sucks to hear that the parcel locker was broken into. I imagine the parcel locker is located within the post office or the one at his place of business like apartment complexes, etc., have ?

Aside from being in the Army, I'm also a part-time USPS City Carrier and this definitely has my interest from both perspectives.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Turns out Sunday night his parcel locker was broken into, one of several times in December, and my parcel, and barrel, disappeared.

Bill B...

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Boomer #659168 07/03/16 12:46 pm
Boomer Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The parcel locker is located out on the road. The business has a long driveway, over a mile, and USPS won't deliver to his building. The key was the tracking showed it was delivered on a Sunday and the regular route carrier said there were no deliveries that Sunday so it was just thought that the locker was compromised or it "fell of the truck" somewhere along the way. After I showed that the recipient never received the package the claim was denied three times for an unacceptable statement of value.

Bill B...

Boomer
Boomer #659222 07/03/16 9:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
***UPDATE***

Just reread this and I can understand why the USPS doesn't go down to his building as being more than a mile off the beaten path is quite a ways. I know that the really rural residents around here either have their parcels left down by their mailbox or they collect them at the post office. UPS does the same.

During the holiday season for the past couple of years, the USPS has been delivering parcels on Sundays and usually on the rural routes. If that is the case, it could be possible that the parcel was in fact delivered to the parcel locker on a Sunday. Just because the regular did not deliver it on a Sunday doesn't mean it didn't get delivered. The USPS uses volunteers and or voluntold newer employees from their rural carrier and city carrier assistant pool during the holiday season to deliver parcels on Sundays. In my experience, no regular route carrier, be it city carrier or rural carrier is going to deliver parcels on Sundays...and especially rural carriers as they generally work 6 days a week by contract and would be losing money or..basically, working for free by delivering on a Sunday. So, the regular didn't deliver on a Sunday but was somebody else delivering is something to find out. Somebody used a real time scanner to show it delivered so it certainly points to that case.

Anyhow, the parcel was scanned and showed delivery to the parcel locker, so we can rule out that the package "fell off the truck" and focus on the parcel locker being broken into. How does the business owner know it was broken into ? Was there forcible entry ? Was the locker wide open when they went to collect the goods from it ? Has this ever happened to them before ?

If it wasn't broken into, then it is possible for the parcel to have been delivered to another address. The scanner doesn't recognize that but does make you enter an option, such as parcel locker, front door, etc., etc.. So, someone scanned it as delivered to a parcel locker whether it was his or another. Another question is if there are multiple parcel lockers at that location? If it got delivered to the wrong address, one would think that the person would leave it for the carrier but strange things do happen and there are strange people out there.

It might be a PIA but if this was a break in/theft, then it would probably be best to have the parcels held and picked up at the post office. Insurance is great and even if you don't have to jump through hoops to get it paid, it still doesn't replace a valuable part such as this which is the real travesty.

Originally Posted by Boomer
The parcel locker is located out on the road. The business has a long driveway, over a mile, and USPS won't deliver to his building. The key was the tracking showed it was delivered on a Sunday and the regular route carrier said there were no deliveries that Sunday so it was just thought that the locker was compromised or it "fell of the truck" somewhere along the way.

Bill B...

Last edited by Jon W. Whitley; 07/04/16 11:26 am.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Boomer #659298 07/04/16 12:34 pm
Boomer Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Not sure about the condition of the parcel locker but the recipient did call the Seriffs office to make a report and was told they had issues in the recent past in his area of lockers getting broken into. They also told him there had been problems of items "falling off the back of the truck" in the whole LA area.

Whatever, I have finally been compensated, although I had to go to extraordinary effort to get the USPS to pay the claim. After the first denial of claim, when I called the postal inspector I was accused of filing a false claim. Maybe that's what strengthened my resolve.

I would think that if a parcel is going to be delivered on a Sunday at a remote locker the recipient would be notified somehow. He didn't expect the Sunday delivery so he didn't go down to the locker until the next day.

The place of business then recommended that items be sent by UPS or Fedex as they will deliver up his road to his shop building.

Yes, I would be ecstatic if I had gotten the barrel back somehow as I'm finding this particular barrel very hard to replace.

Bill B...

Boomer
DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley
I know that the really rural residents around here either have their parcels left down by their mailbox or they collect them at the post office. UPS does the same.

i kept a warehouse in a small town here in ohio for a year or two. the town was so small that there was no in-town mail delivery. everybody just got a free post-office box and walked down to the PO to get their mail. i was on the downtown crossroads, and two walls of my shop were on the center of town and the other two were in the country.

this was an issue with UPS, because they wouldn't deliver to a PO box and if i wasn't they would go away. eventually i got them to drop stuff off at the grocery store across the street.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
kevin #659367 07/05/16 6:10 am
knuckle head
knuckle head
Not the best outcome despite the 500 bucks for the stolen item...What will the thief do with a cracked cylinder?
We live 350 feet from the road at the end of a narrow winding dirt/stone driveway..The USPS lady drives back here to deliver packages that won't fit in the post box at the road. I believe the carrier isn't supposed to do this and just leave a note to pick it up at the post office. My wife leaves a dozen eggs from our chickens in the mail box for her..The post lady also leaves empty eggs cartons in the post box...Some call this "corruption" grin

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons.."I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Not the best outcome despite the 500 bucks for the stolen item...What will the thief do with a cracked cylinder?

Take it to the recyclers and get 5 bucks for it. frown

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com