Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SteveT Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Hopefully not a stuuupid question..
I purchased the DB34 late last year & part of the spec is the BNR primary belt drive and BNR clutch (Suzuki?) i have always presumed that these run without oil? so was shocked when i walked into the garage and it had deposited the contents of the primary case onto the garage floor :-( inspecting it two of the Fasteners had worked loose.
So the question.. i am now guessing the primary does require oil, if so recommendations please?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The BNR clutch setup MUST run dry. I asked bob this question when I bought mine and he stipulated very clearly that it must be dry AND have sufficient air ventilation.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

S
SteveT Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
That has confused things :-( The guy i bought the Goldstar from isn't a mug and as owned a few Gold Star's in his time, just puzzled why he would put oil in, the engine & box was built by Phil Pearson engineering & i would have thought he would have passed the info on..... the plot thickens. tbh i just presumed it would run dry & shocked when i walked into the garage to be greeted with a big puddle of oil from the chain case..

DOPE
DOPE
are you certain its a newby unit?

some belt drives will work happily in oil.

look for his "BNR" logo on the parts

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Have you taken the cover off and peeked inside? If Pearson did it maybe it's his clutch with chain (wet). If a belt maybe the motor has wet sumped a bit and bled into the Primary. No big deal, just leave the drain open.. Mine does this from sitting around too much. PRT

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The ONLY reason you might want to run oil in a belt primary would be for the clutch bearing, but it really isn't necessary for road use. Just don't ride the clutch.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
S
SteveT Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by pushrod tom
Have you taken the cover off and peeked inside? If Pearson did it maybe it's his clutch with chain (wet). If a belt maybe the motor has wet sumped a bit and bled into the Primary. No big deal, just leave the drain open.. Mine does this from sitting around too much. PRT

Suppose that's a maybe re wet sumped.... its been parked up for over a month on its side stand, if i get the chance ill have a look Tomorrow..

Last edited by SteveT; 07/02/16 3:23 pm.
S
SteveT Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by pushrod tom

Looks like its wet sumped live & learn (To much time with Ducati's i think)any probswith what its doing?
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com