Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Beach
Beach
West Virginia, United States
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#658647 06/29/16 10:54 am
R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Wondering if there is a way to disassemble the lip up winged fuel cap to replace the seal and clean out the vents? Aside from buying a new one I'd like to at least clean the vent holes but it looks like the winged part is riveted to the latch part, I dont know I don't want to destroy the original one with out ordering a new one, but don't want to order a new one if I don't need to.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I will mention to you that buying a new one will result in a nice looking cap,..... That may not "cinch down" as tight as you would want. The repo cam ramps are not spot on. I made a tool to bend them, and it worked to make the new cap fit and seal as it should. Chunk of bar stock with a slot hack sawed in it. That metal is quite thick, and placing the cap in a vise to hold it while bending thick metal made me nervous, but if was a non-issue.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
To replace the gasket you have to drill out the rivet and re-rviet the new one in.

R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Is it an actual pop rivet type of rivet or is the shaft of the wing smashed down?

eBay has a few supposed oem caps I'm looking at. Some very pricey and some pretty reasonable but I don't want to shell upwards of $50 if I can fix this one. It seals alright it just seems the vents might be blocked

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I just dug out as much of the fiber as I could and then made a replacement gasket out of .030" viton sheet rubber. It's held up for about 5 years now.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com