Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership
New Sponsor post
2022 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/28/21 6:22 pm
New FAQ post
How To: Add attached images in between text
by Morgan aka admin - 10/03/21 9:46 am
Member Spotlight
Bikeosaurus
Bikeosaurus
Canberra, Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 86
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
koan58 19
Newest Members
Buzzkillington, zeke78, Kdkd57, Meldrew, Az Mike
11,869 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
10 members (KC in S.B., Wilfred, reverb, Mark Parker, Deadstiffcatt, Magnetoman, MaaseyRacer, Dr. Z, quinten, TR6Ray), 23 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#658647 06/29/16 10:54 am
R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Wondering if there is a way to disassemble the lip up winged fuel cap to replace the seal and clean out the vents? Aside from buying a new one I'd like to at least clean the vent holes but it looks like the winged part is riveted to the latch part, I dont know I don't want to destroy the original one with out ordering a new one, but don't want to order a new one if I don't need to.

BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I will mention to you that buying a new one will result in a nice looking cap,..... That may not "cinch down" as tight as you would want. The repo cam ramps are not spot on. I made a tool to bend them, and it worked to make the new cap fit and seal as it should. Chunk of bar stock with a slot hack sawed in it. That metal is quite thick, and placing the cap in a vise to hold it while bending thick metal made me nervous, but if was a non-issue.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
To replace the gasket you have to drill out the rivet and re-rviet the new one in.

R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Is it an actual pop rivet type of rivet or is the shaft of the wing smashed down?

eBay has a few supposed oem caps I'm looking at. Some very pricey and some pretty reasonable but I don't want to shell upwards of $50 if I can fix this one. It seals alright it just seems the vents might be blocked

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I just dug out as much of the fiber as I could and then made a replacement gasket out of .030" viton sheet rubber. It's held up for about 5 years now.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com