Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jon W. Whitley, Adam M., NickL, trevinoz, Lew101, chaterlea25), 25 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#640480 02/17/16 2:34 pm
K
Kev. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
I don't really do owners clubs, they just don't seem to fit comfortably with me, they are just too cliquey, too Hi-Vis, too protective about their own ego's. And it is not because I don't want to be a club member, I have tried to fit into the whole club thing, and have even joined one or two, but apart from the Z1oc, I have never renewed my membership.
Now I am sure this is a British only problem,? and by that I mean the people, not the bike marques. Because I have attended rallies in Europe, and met club members over in the USA, and they don't seem to be having the same problems.

I won't list all the clubs I have joined and left, but I will mention the last, the last club was the Moto Guzzi owners club GB. the funny thing is, I quite like them as a club, but the local Thames Valley branch is quite honestly a joke.
I feel I must quantify that statement, I joined the club, and tried to meet the local members, so I had a look at the website to find the meeting place, a pub outside Reading, the Falmouth arms, 2nd Sunday of the month. So I went, sat in the pub, had a roast dinner, drank a beer, and left. No one turned up. I did this a few times, and still never met anybody. Apparently they met at a time not listed on the website, not the time I was there, And when I asked this question on the website, I never got an answer, not at all. apparently the local organiser doesn't like computers so never checked to see if anybody posted a question!!!

Apparently this was all my fault, for thinking that a club section that ran a web site forum might actually use it. how wrong could I be.

Anyway that was a few years back, and as I now have another old Guzzi, I thought I would give the club another go, so I looked on line to see where the local club meet now, and to my surprise they still meet at the Falmouth Arms. WellI really was/am surprised! because the Falmouth arms has not been open for over two years, and is now a block of flats.

Moto Guzzi, the friendly club. Yea right!

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Certainly not using the web for keeping up to date.... But that doesnt mean that you cant find out where they meet does it. How would you have found them in the dark ages? You know- before computer enlightenment.... Maybe the mother club can point you in the right direction????? Might actually be nice guys..... Old as hell - but nice---- and leathery shocked

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I don't own a HD but for some reason I got on the local dealers email list.

Actually puts out good emails. About once each week I get an email listing events with times places and details. Then there is a follow-up in the next email with pictures of the event(s).

I have no interest but it really does make you look "wanted"....as in come join us.

If more dealers/clubs did this type of thing there would probably be more people riding motorcycles.

Just a different look at it.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
But there are BOUND to be lots of good clubs around there. The thing that makes us here in the US the most jealous is our lack of local clubs with their monthly meetings at the pub, and their regular year-round rides out and rallies.

I was moaning about this 10 years ago, and the response was "Well, put together your OWN rally" and I did and it was lovely, but that's a one-time sort of thing, you can't do it every month. My nearest club meeting (the Virginia British Motorcycle Club) is 100 miles away and meets every month, and has several events a year, but that's it - the rest of them are national clubs (The Moto Guzzi National Owner's Club) or regional (the Ohio Valley BSA Owner's Club).

NOTHING like the local meets and rideouts and camps that you guys tease us with EVERY WEEK OF THE RIDING SEASON! We'd kill for the kind of concentrated interest you guys have in these old bikes!

So if you find the occasional out-of-date website, just pick up the phone and call ... I know that just about any club would love to have you with them .....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Heading out to my formerly enduro racing now mostly dual sporting club meeting...

We'll discuss our event from January, upcoming work days at another of our events happening in May, look at some other events to attend, and have a look at a 3 day tri-state dual sport route I have procured GPS tracks for.

Been a member since the '70's {with a break in service during the '80's}

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Sometimes a club evolves and leaves you behind.
We in Canada have a national vintage motorcycle club. At one time when I first joined up, riding my RE Interceptor to the national rally meant I didn't come on a vintage bike. Guys on their 70s Triumphs weren't vintage enough either.
Now the club has turned Japanese.
Most of the new folks are in their 30's and 40's and can't remember ever seeing a Brit bike on the street except at a rally. This is as it should be because change is inevitable, but as the years pass and I wander around the club rally's I attend I wonder why I bothered to show up. Fortunately there are always some nifty old Brit bikes to be admired and old friends from far away to get together with.
But every year they seem to be fewer.
So, I am joining the Norton Owners Club and the Ontario BSA club. I already have a Norton, nextI need to find a BSA! I'm thinking an A10 from the '50s, or maybe a big single??
Cheers
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Well, I'm not normally a huge "club" kinda guy myself.
BUT
I am somewhat newly impressed by the Norton club- the INOA, that is. I'm a member of a more local club chapter, the Delaware Valley Norton Riders, and also the INOA. I even attended the INOA's BIG (Inter)National summer meet last year in July, down in Asheville, North Carolina. 500 or so people turned out, camping for the week or staying in local motels or whatever. A good many folks rode their vintage Nortons in from Canada, and from across the U.S.

The regional DVNR club sends out incessant emails, seems there's always something going on. I'm not a huge participater, (I live about 100 miles away from them) but these guys have it going on. The DVNR's annual ride-in, The Gathering Of The Nortons each Spring along the Delaware River is probably the best-ever single day vintage MC event I've been to. About 1500 bikes turn out, 1/3 to 1/2 of them are vintage Brit & Euro. It's crazy cool.

The INOA was originally two separate clubs, one in Canada, one in the U.S., but they joined forces. Their rally was awesome, tho no big hang every night at the Grand Marquee.... And they didn't have a "bar" set up at all. But you could easily walk around and talk to people, which I did. They had breakfast every morning, & did have a big tent, where they held a couple dinners and had folks holding talks and seminars n stuff.
Their big Bike Show day was amazing with LOTS of stuff to see, and tho they seemed to sort of generally discourage drop-bys & day-trippers during most of the Rally Week, people did ride in on assorted British and other vintage bikes to attend on that Bike Show day. It was a huge event and very successful with lots of enthusiastic participants.

Kev, I'm with Wade, surely somebody somewhere is phone calling or something to get people to come out? if the English Guzzi club is anything at all like the VMCC or any branch of the BSAOC, then these guys are no doubt doing the same things with decent turn out. Call the number brah. Heck, man- Volunteer to take on Internet Communique duties, you could be their
Information Dissemination Officer! laughing

Maybe every one of them is sitting around waiting for a saviour to show them the light of the World Wide Web. wink

Last edited by ricochetrider; 02/18/16 9:48 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Odd member
Odd member
I don't really do owners clubs

Oh...Kev lad, you ARE a card aren't you... clap

BEST thing I ever did, joining the BSAOC 25yrs ago, I've met wonderful fantastic people from all over the Globe, people I'd never have met otherwise. I've had, and WILL have brilliant holidays cos of the club. And indeed YOU'VE met some of these very people, cos of a club...

The Kent Guzzi lot are dead in the water, they're nothing like the BSA club, BUT, and that's a big but you'll notice. I joined the Guzzi club for the Magazine, something to read as I waste me life in a truck. Having said that, I've met good people in the national club, and been to a few rallies, including riding up to Scotland twice...

The VMCC got me, due to them buggers never stopping riding, been out with them in snow and ice, and not just a hand full of people, LOADS turn up on their runs...

Clubs offer loads of stuff, but remember they ALL have something in common, they're run by volunteers, so don't expect professionalism and you'll not be disappointed. Go back on that web site and send the secretary your concerns, Serena is a wonderful person lad, she rides the wheels off her bikes. And I'm SURE she'll have good advice for you... :bigt

Or simply load up a couple more torpedoes, and fire away...

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
K
Kev. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
I don't in fact blame the main club of any marque for the problems, Be it BSA, Triumph, or indeed Moto Guzzi. I think it is really a regional problem bought about by the influx of flat capped little hitlers who get power crazy and feel that they have put in more than anyone else, so they have a god given right to be seen and unfortunately for many of us, heard. Often to the detriment of both the membership, and the club in general.

I have two friends who joined the VMCC, both of them rode restored oil in frame bikes, one a BSA Spitfire, the other a Bonneville. on attending the local branch of the VMCC, the members there looked down their noses at the "New" modern bikes. after a while everybody adjourned to another room, when my two friends went to go in, the Hi Vis, flat capper on the door stopped my friends and said, members only in here. They said well we are members, but no one asked.
That would have been the point when I would have ripped up my VMCC membership card, and stuck it in his pint! just to prove the more you put in, the more you get out.

laughing

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Kev.

I have two friends who joined the VMCC, both of them rode restored oil in frame bikes, one a BSA Spitfire, the other a Bonneville. on attending the local branch of the VMCC, the members there looked down their noses at the "New" modern bikes.

Hmm, a "restored oil in frame" BSA Spitfire? No wonder the man on the door sent him packing ..... laughing

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Seriously, Kev., I've been reading all your posts for years, and looking at all your pictures, and enjoying it all very much. I give you a hard time every once in a while but it's really all in fun, I have a great deal of respect for you and all you've done for the sport and hobby of Old Motorcycles. You've put a huge amount of work into bikes, into rallies, into rides, and it seems that you would be the ultimate Club Man.

So take this in the spirit it's given. Perhaps you're not cut out for clubs based on Brand of Motorcycle. The rallies you like (John Bull, Rabbit Rally, etc) have nothing to do with brands. And (take my word for it) you have mentioned with severe disapprobation over the years the Brand Club philosophy of "If you're going to be in this club, you should ride this motorcycle."

I'm perfectly fine with the idea that if BSA puts on a Club Rally, that EVERYONE should ride a BSA to it. I have gone out and BOUGHT the appropriate motorcycle more than once because I want to stay within the Club Rules and be part of the club in reality, not just paying dues.

Open Day? Come one come all, says I. Fund Raiser? Bring your Gold Wing if you like. But sometimes, the main thing that holds the club together is a Shared Interest in one kind of bike ... if it's an AJS club, and the bylaws say "AJS Only", then I would NEVER complain "Why can't I ride my Norton there? Why so exclusive?"

The shared, unique interest is what a club is all about. If a VMCC rideout says "Pre-1960 Bikes Only", then that should be perfectly OK, not a subject for complaints about exclusivity and diversity and snobbishness, and if Mr Flatcap Jobsworth at the gate turns your 1980 BMW away, then he's just doing his job for the club, isn't he?

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it .... beerchug

Lannis

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
I am another one that don't do one make clubs, I had been a vmcc member for many years but overpaid officers in the club squandered so much income that membership fees had to rise to offset the loss.
Backbiting in the BSA club caused me to start another group called ATOM riders association their is no membership fee and only 3 rules
Rule1 you must own a motorcycle.
Rule 2 NO ARSHOLES
Rule 3 There are no rules

To enlist you must have the approval of me or Shaun!

Odd member
Odd member
Baza lad, don't think we'll let Kev in, he doesn't own a motorcycle long enough... laughing

See ya tomorrow for the ATOM associated slap up meal, mud filled, pot hole lane run, with a large pint at the end of it all... wink :bigt

Clubs eh...!

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
There will be another new ATOM member at Nells tomorrow, the bird who organised help fo heroes run....Jackie on her CBR or Speed triple!

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com