Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Congrats on your first post Gabriel,
and I am sure your questions won't appear dumb so all means, - fire ahead. As an owner you have an interest in all that goes on here.

This thread is about to go around in circles I fear, yet all the guys appear to be saying the same thing.

'''misinterpretation, it is hard sometimes to detect the hidden meanings present or otherwise through the net filter''' basically sums it up. The same probably is true of trying to determine experience or background.

Problem is here that the Forum is for all levels, I guess starting with dreamer, wannabe, newbie etc going all the way up to the guys that were literally born on these bikes.

Many of the 'older' board members have either posted, or read posts, on the more common questions. The Search feature, and Google, can be used very effectively also,- it only takes a few keystrokes to get an instant answer to many queries..... and probably with less grief.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
69Mercury750...It was not intened as "thinly vailed sarcasism"...I was just indicating that he could draw on the knowledge of those that have answers but not necessarily that bike (who may not be full of passion about that particular bike) or find someone who follows/owns that marque, is enthusiastic and is glad to talk about it. If it had been a '69 Triumph T120R he was interested in...someone else,who is enthusiastic about Triumphs, may have covered it beside you. And that is noteworthy.

General...As far Panic, the point I was trying to make is that if I (or you) needed guidance on anything from a Briggs & Straton up through blown Chrysler hemi...if Panic doesn't have the specific answer, he'll most certainly get you in the ballpark. He has as good, if not better, understanding of internal combustion engines, in general, than anybody I know face-to-face. Therefore, I don't trouble him or the other heavy-hitters on this forum with questions of which I can easily find the answers in books I own, can borrow or find with a "google" search.

To date, I've never seen anyone post a less-than-desirable comment to anyone who ask "where can I source a service Manual for my bike" or "I'm trying to follow my service Manual but its unclear how to...". The knowledgable ones are more prone to help those that help themselves. When I have a problem or situation, its personally challenging to me to solve on my own and I am more likely to remember the solution in the future that way. If I've exhausted my resources and do ask the forum for advice, I want a "good" answer as just plain answers are a dime-a-dozen. A good answer will come from those with credibility before it applies to my machine. As with the group of people that are at credible status, some will be, with time, lumped into the "he obviously doesn't bother, why should I" group. If you hit this status, don't expect those who can provide you with good answers to roll up their sleeves to help. They've worked hard for it and if they are going to give it away, they want it to be worthy and appreciated. Maybe these people are "oldies" (pre-internet/cable TV people) but how else do you gain 35-40 years of brit bike experience? I tell you how...you respect those people that gained it the hard way over the years and they'll share it with you which cuts 15-20 years off your learning curve(for free). That's a bargain by my standards.

There's four types of people you don't want to rub the wrong way...1)your surgeon, 2)your lawyer 3)your accountant and 4)your mechanic (or mechanical advisor). If and when you need these people, you want all of them to give their utmost, fullest consideration to your situation or the outcome can be tragic.

Z

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Originally posted by Richrd:
The Norton may not be the right bike for you at this stage. You woould not be the first person to buy a Norton with high expectations from what he has read then been disappointed because he did not have the knowledge or money to make the needed mods.

Rich
Yes agree, Rich. - I have a Commando 850 '73 and wouldn't be without it, the riding experiences, the sound and the Norton wrenching challenges.

And that's what it is - a challenge. The reward is the riding. If not interested in riding it as "she" ("he" - "the monster") demands, forget the lot! Time consuming, money demanding - easy getting parts though - just beware. Start in the right end: Buy one, buy the workshop Manual (add a Hayes copy), don't buy any parts before consulted skilled people (this board f.ex) and consider some new wrenches (Whitworth can be wise - although I have none but for one 1/4" for the rear cyl top nut (#2 in the tightening seq).
Just "inch-tools" (as opposed to the metric spanners).

Hope you do the right choice !

regards
jangg

'73 Commando Basket - new aluminium cyl
'93 Ducati 900 SS

"Better lit a light than cursing the darkness"
(Confucius)
L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
You all seem to mention the "wrenching"-part.

And as I understand it, we are talking minor things, minor things are all things that doesn't demand a disassembly of the cases in my mind.

I'm pretty much used to do all the other things pretty often.

Which has given me the gift of restoring a standard Kreidler in 4 hours, that's a complete teardown and rebuild, pretty proud myself smile

BritBikeLess - Donations are received smile
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
"Men are respectable only as they respect." - Emerson

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Oh, yes, but I can and I may and I do. This thread has gotten much too acrimonious.

I believe all some are asking is for one to do a modicum of investigation - either by searching on this forum or other forums - for answers to their questions.

Originally posted by Lassenc:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR:
[b] May I suggest that this thread be retired?
No, you may not. [/b]

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
''''gift of restoring a standard Kreidler in 4 hours''''

Jeez Lassenc, I hope you don't plan on restoring any Brit bike in hours, even days. Most guys here talk weeks, months, ...even years

'''I'm new to britbikes, and really don't know much about them, I've searched the net quite some time, but never really got anything good out of it'''

A comment made on the 'General' board just over a week ago. I'm not so sure we have moved too far forward since.

The start of it .......
wink

Why, Y, Dash Y..

L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
I don't plan to do it in hours.

I don't get how you can get that out of the text that I plan to do that, but ok.

Edit:

The way I'm doing it is, that I buy all parts at once (Of course you always forget something).

Get everything out to the proper craftsmen.

And in that way it shouldn't take too long smile

L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
My main reason for having preference in the featherbed frame is that there is a wide selection of alloy petrol tank.

Atleast at the places I have looked, which is UNITY.

Or do you know other sites that has the large alloy tanks for Commando frames?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ok, here are a few of things you will have to consider;

disc or drum brake. resleave or not.
old or sealed wheel bearings.
head bearings replace?
Boyer, rita or points.
tymp, pod or zener
powder coat or paint frame.
amals or mik
all stock mkIII cams are junk
stock iso,s mkIII's or norvills
layshaft bearing.
what countersprocket
alternater, rm24, or sparkx
if 72, SUPERBLEND
how are you going to tighten the swingarm
stock wire, rewire, or loom.
you will have to pull the top end to see how bad everything is, so might as well spit the cases.
this is just the beginning,
then you say you get everything out to the proper craftsman. you must have lots of money.
how bout buying a Norton all ready restored.
there is a saying which includes the line, "if you have to ask, you'll never know"

I feel by what I read hear, you have no idea what you are getting into. some of us are trying to keep you from getting over your head.

If you were that good of a mechanic, you would just tear it apart, and fix what doesn't look right. That's really the way most of us learned.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Originally posted by Richrd:
If you were that good of a mechanic, you would just tear it apart, and fix what doesn't look right. That's really the way most of us learned.
Erhm, that is what I do to all my bikes...

Life Member
Life Member
You know, I can't figure this one out???....there's a fellow all the way over in Denmark wanting to talk Brit Bikes and just because some feel he didn't do enough homework they're ragging on him and his dream. Ever think that he just might have wanted to start a conversation???

Wonder how well some of you people would do if you were posting on a site that spoke only Danish????

I thought the two bikes in his links were nice....and certainly not what we call scooters around here. I'd say the fellow probably knows which end of a wrench to use.

Geeze...if you don't want to help him....just ignore the post..but putting him or his bikes/dreams down is pretty sad if you ask me.

Just kinda wondering what's happening to this place????? confused

Gordon in NC

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
They can't tear me down, I'm stronger than that.

In fact, it encourages (?) me to do it, and they will be surprised.

Gordon Gray and 69 mercury 750, thanks for the support!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not trying to tear him down, but I don't think he should be jumping into brits in this way. He wouldn't be the first to get discouraged by what is involved. As I said in my first post, there may be better bikes to start on.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
I'm up for the challenge.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
VERY well put Mr. Gray, You are a man of respect. Something that I worry is fading around here.

L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Listen up.

Where did I say that I could restore an english bike in 4 hours? No where!

And please, ignore this topic.

Why do you even return when you, clearly are not wanted in here (The topic).

And what's the point of your post?

I can do it, whether you think it or not.

And guess what, your oppinion is bollocks to me!

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Lassenc, I suggest that you go and buy a Norton that could be the basis of your project. Get it running right and use it for a while. You will be able to learn as you go along. When you need help we will be able to provide it. At the moment we are all talking about something that doesn't exist.A featherbed bike is more basic than a Commando framed bike and if your final target is a cafe racer the featherbed frame is the best to have. Building a bike from odd parts is fraught with danger. Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'm not really too concerned with lack of experience. It's lack of manners I find irritating.
He, not I, has made several rude ad hominem personal remarks, such as the one above.
He, not I, has suggested several times that he is the arbiter of whom, and what, may be posted here - go back and read them if this is not clear.
As I said previously, he expects accurate answers to questions of which he has no understanding; then, having ignored the correct answers, he asks the same question again. We call that behavior not ignorant, but childish. If he doesn't understand the answer asking the question again is a waste of everyone's time.
I'll excuse his remarks on the basis of language when I request the same courtesy of others.
"piston rings and bearings are just that, in ALL internal combustion engines"
Had you noticed that his featured attempts are 2-stroke motors? No, the bearings and rings are quite different, as is the chamber (Schneurle loop - know what that is?) and many other functions.
All those who have, ever, been successful in purchasing all needed components for a complete restoration and conversion project at once: please identify yourselves. I've been doing this for about 40 years, and I never have, and never heard of anyone who has.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sorry, consider it withdrawn.
On a question about divorce law I may claim some expertise, otherwise just here to learn like everyone else.

L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Panic:

It seems like you only read what you want to, and then misses the point.

Yeah, I'll buy all parts I need at once, as far as possible.

I believe I've asked the same question, one question , two times, by mistake, in two different topics.

I can't see any problems with the bearings and rings part of your reply, of course, there are different types of bearings, that needs to worked with in different ways, so what?

I guess you are a supporter of self learning / discovering?

I admit that I've been using foul language, but it just annoys me that you start mocking me in an arrogant way, insted of explaining how it goes together.

Ps. I'm happy now, got my drivers license.

[EDIT]

Originally posted by blogwit:
Lassenc, I suggest that you go and buy a Norton that could be the basis of your project. Get it running right and use it for a while. You will be able to learn as you go along. When you need help we will be able to provide it. At the moment we are all talking about something that doesn't exist.A featherbed bike is more basic than a Commando framed bike and if your final target is a cafe racer the featherbed frame is the best to have. Building a bike from odd parts is fraught with danger. Good luck.
That is what I'll do!

After I'm done with my education (Summer of '06), I'm done saving up money for the whole project, and then I have a whole year to make a motorcycle, of course I will be having a full time job.

And that, panic, is also a reason for me don't taking care of the costs, because I am dedicating 8 months to it (A school year)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Lassenc,

Well, you've past the brit bike initiation test or "hazing" some call it.

You've crossed the 60+ post criteria of this thread and your resolve has not been shaken. You've stood your position and were defensive/loyal about your future marque to be. All positive traits.

Now that your are "in", you'll be able to devote constructive time to that list, layout and design. I know you've got to feel a sense of relief, as well as, I.

If you don't already have it at the top of your bookmark list, check this one out. I'm afraid that if I went Norton, this is the look (if not the bike) I'd go for. http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

When you can ride around the block on your very own brit bike, then you'll be entitled access to the secret hand-shake, as well. At least, that's what I tell my teenager who is working on a Triumph Bitza as his first build.

Z

H
hh Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Zackybilly1: you just had to post that Norton link and now I have to clean the drool out of my keyboard again!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Quite a bit about this thread disturbs me. Here is my view of it from 10 miles up:

An admitted Newbie (Lassenc) posts some questions regarding a rather intense project (putting a Commando in a featherbed frame). The responses from longstanding and respected members point out the complications and difficulties and questions the Newbie's ability to do this. The Newbie gets pissed and makes quite a few disrespectful comments. Remember, he has only been on this list for a matter of days, not the years that some of have. Naturally some of the veterans also get miffed at being insulted by a Newbie (by the way, from the tone of his responses, the Newbie sounds like a 19 year old kid (no disrespect intended - sometimes I wish I were 19 again) who is greatly overestimating his abilities by jumping into such a complicated project right out of the box).

Then, as the kicker (to me anyway) he finally states the reason he wants to undertake this massive project - HE WANTS TO USE AN ALLOY TANK!!! Nothing about the superior handling of a featherbed or some rational reason. This is almost like saying I want a Porsche because I like the little shieldy thing on the hood!

And then he persists with attitude!!

Anyway, that's my view of this.

L
Lassenc Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
MoreIBNR, and you just stated that you didn't understand anything of this topic.

Why do you all seem to think that I wanted to make a Featherbed cafe right away?

I just asked what the problems of fitting a Commando engine was, this conversation doesn't get anywhere, when you can't accept what I'm writing and constantly refer to my first post.

And MoreIBNR, how dare you question my skills, when you don't even know what I can do.

Mercury, I took the bait.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com