Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Zimm
Zimm
The land of pleasant living
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Hi everyone,

I am not sure if anyone can help me; I picked up 2 Matchless frames and 3 motors this past week and have been identifying them slowly. I joined the Ajs/Matchless club and have already made use of the online frame search. It has been determined that one frame is a '55 AJS Model 20 and the other a 1960 Matchless G12 DL.

All three motors are Matchless. One is likely the engine that belongs in the frame as it is stamped 60-G12. The second had the numbers removed, third engine stamped 56-2701. The three look identical, however 2 have scary repairs to the bottom end. 56-2701 is solid and I would like to use it. Is it a G12 with that stamping?

I am having issues logging onto the forum at the Jampot page. Anyone here have any ideas? [URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Jon_Rooke/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/IMG_20160207_151120_zpsnd352l66.jpg.html]Photobucket[/url]

Last edited by demonfonzarelli; 02/07/16 4:39 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
When you say 'the three look identical' you mean the stampings of the numbers ?

Some might suggest that 56-2701 above looks home made,
the factory numbers generally took the form of
year/model number
say 56/18S 2701.
For quite some years...

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Rohan
When you say 'the three look identical' you mean the stampings of the numbers ?

Some might suggest that 56-2701 above looks home made,
the factory numbers generally took the form of
year/model number
say 56/18S 2701.
For quite some years...

I appreciate the response! I did do some more digging (asking all over this whole afternoon) A very kind Matchless expert pointed out that I have one G12 motor and 2 G9 Motors.

Moderated by  Matchman62 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com