Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (NickL, Tridentman, Magnetoman, Hugh Jörgen), 14 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,406
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
gunner Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have a generic 3 phase regulator/rectifier sitting in my garage and was thinking about using it on my 68 A65 to replace the standard zenor & rectifier. The regulator/rectifer is similar in looks to the Podtronics unit and has three yellow input wires for the alternator and black red output wires.

I'm not sure which alternator I have, but its certainly a two wire type with encapsulated coild.

Can I simply connect my two alternator wires to any two of the yellow wires and what about the spare yellow wire? Should the spare yellow wire be connected to one of the alternator wires or simply disconnected?

All info welcome.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
British motorcycles on eBay
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Don't alternators only come in single phase and 3 phase types ?

Its possible your reg/rec unit will operate with only one phase connected,
someone else will have to comment/expand on that.

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Can I simply connect my two alternator wires to any two of the yellow wires and what about the spare yellow wire? Should the spare yellow wire be connected to one of the alternator wires or simply disconnected?

Short answer , Yes ... to either of these choices .

Longer ansewer ;
With any 2 of 3 yellow wires ... wired as inputs , it will work as designed .

With the extra wire , paired to one of the others , heat disapation will be enhanced for half of one phase .
Not that this helps much , but it wont hurt either .

gunner Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Great answers thanks, I have another question on a related issue as follows:-

At present, the output from the regulator/rectifier goes directly to the ammeter and then on to the zenor via the ignition switch.

With the regulator/rectifier, can I wire the black negative output wire directly to the battery or should I connect it to the wire leading up to the ammeter?

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi,

Originally Posted by gunner
At present, the output from the regulator/rectifier goes directly to the ammeter and then on to the zenor via the ignition switch.

With the regulator/rectifier, can I wire the black negative output wire directly to the battery or should I connect it to the wire leading up to the ammeter?

At present, the (DC) output is just from the rectifier, the "regulator" is the Zener diode.

Risking echoing Nick, if you want the ammeter to continue to indicate both charge and discharge, the DC output from the new reg./rec. must pass through it; i.e. the reg./rec. Black wire must be connected to the bike's Brown/White wire "leading up to the ammeter", where the old rectifier used to connect.

Hth.

Regards,

gunner Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well spotted Stuart, I meant to say the existing setup outputs from the rectifier up too the ammeter via the brown/white wire.

I will keep the existing setup and simply connect the regulator black output to the brown/white wire.

Not sure what wattage the regulator is rated at, but its a Wassel 3 phase type.

Last edited by gunner; 02/07/16 8:01 am.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com