Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Deadstiffcatt
Thank you for your music, Mr. Bowie.

This version originally done for Freddie Mercury, seems appropriate to me right now.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ildVYgYWPqc

I think Annie was singing a different song. Maybe she was in some different reality?

Bowie nailed it but Annie just wasn't there.

One thumb down.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by wadeschields
[Linked Image]

Dee, Joey, and Bowie! One can only image the conversation...

Thanks for the pic!

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Bowie came after my generation's of music, so I don't really have an appreciation for it. To me, he was just another of the English metro-sexual invasion of the time.

However, I did enjoy the movie, "The Man Who Fell to Earth." He seemed to me the perfect alien.

I personally think he was a better actor than a singer.

For that, he will be missed.

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Originally Posted by Zombie

This version originally done for Freddie Mercury, seems appropriate to me right now.......

I think Annie was singing a different song. Maybe she was in some different reality?

One thumb down.

Ima big fan of raccoon-esk eyemake up
But Ziggy woulda looked cute-r in that dress .

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger
Bowie came after my generation's of music, so I don't really have an appreciation for it. To me, he was just another of the English metro-sexual invasion of the time.

However, I did enjoy the movie, "The Man Who Fell to Earth." He seemed to me the perfect alien.

I personally think he was a better actor than a singer.

For that, he will be missed.

Cheers,

Bill

In Terry Gross's 2002 Fresh Air David Bowie interview, which she replayed recently, he remarked that he did the Ziggy thing for slightly more than a year? I believe he said it was like 14 months. 14 months out of 40 years' work- and that is, to this day, what people in the U.S. think he was all about.

He moved on from that even before it was over. In Europe, he is considered in a completely different light.
Over here, he's always been Ziggy. I'm sure that rankled a bit.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'm not so sure about that Ricochet.

While his "Ziggy" album was great, it was never his best.

Do you remember the pre-Warhol days? Davd Jones? That kids album he did? Add a plethora of other real crap attempts at music fame (4-5 other bands/names)...

Ziggy gave him fame but he grew well beyond that one album. That was just the album that gained him global attention, and in the music business (as you well know), that means the US.

Peter Frampton is the real case for your idea. He has been in music his entire life (as was Jones/Bowie) but the only album I can recall is Frampton Comes Alive.

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Oh hey I agree totally, Zomb, I'm quoting David Bowie from the interview- that was him saying that here, people are stuck on Ziggy while he moved on. And on, and on. He had over 40 years of work! He said he was never in love with performing and disliked touring, because he got bored with it almost instantly, ready to move on to the next project as soon as he finished one. He said he really wasn't ever going to tour endlessly and play the same songs over and over. He was always looking ahead, always cooking up the next record or project.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ahhh. Now that's a different colored horse altogether.

It's funny how perception (our own, and from others) can be so far removed from the reality of a situation but I can understand what HE meant.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by quinten
Originally Posted by Zombie

One thumb down.

Ima big fan of raccoon-esk eyemake up
But Ziggy woulda looked cute-r in that dress .

No one's a bigger Annie Lennox fan than me. I think that, all in all, she's one of the greatest vocalists and the best music-video presence (voice, costume, and acting) of all time.

But that night was a big FAIL with knobs, spikes, and flashing lights on. The dress, the makeup, the execution of the song, all terrible. I can't watch any more .....

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Bowie was also a spectacular producer/song writer for others. Think Lou Reed (Transformer) Mott, Iggy ...

We had "Walk on the Wild Side" on the turntable last night. The vinyl mix never gets old to me, even tho its a bit main stream. Remember this was done back in the reel to reel days. You HAD to have your stuff together, and Bowie did.

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Mott the Hoople's All The Young Dudes is a spectacular accomplishment, just as great today as it ever was. A superb recording as well. :bigt

Didn't know Lou Reed's "Wild Side" was produced by Bowie. I could give or take much of Lou Reed's music. When it's good, tho, it's great. If I recall,correctly, Walk On The Wild Side featured an acoustic and an electric bass? Wasn't nobody doing that, any time, ever. Looking at a Wiki article about the song, I see Mick Ronson applied his magic to it as well, playing electric guitar and providing the string arrangement. The sax player was Ronnie Ross, who originally taught David Bowie to play the sax, many years earlier.

David Bowie was an accomplished multi instrumentalist- something that's not well known.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I liked early David Bowie stuff pre freak out theatrics but after seeing that last vid and song/album I will say this.
I won't be leaving such a painful angry legacy as that no matter what the circumstance. I'll be thinking of my family and cat plus the BSA's with a big friggin smile. Assisted smile or not LOL!
S

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQb9LCNGxs

Bowie and Mercury vocals only

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image]

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com