Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#635851 01/19/16 1:36 pm
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
We tend to complain so much that I thought I would note what I see as a positive trend on eBay.

A couple of years back, it seemed like the majority of sellers were setting up for "Retaliatory Feedback". That is, they would not leave feedback for a buyer, EVEN IF THE BUYER PAID IMMEDIATELY IN FULL, until they saw that the buyer had left positive feedback for THEM.

As a buyer, I found that extremely unfair, and even a bit slimy. If I'd paid immediately and in full, I should get positive feedback for that, regardless of what the seller's actions are later. I just quit dealing with sellers that said that they would not leave feedback until the buyer left positive feedback.

I don't see much of that any more. Typically, I'm getting positive feedback as a buyer even before I receive the part; and that's the way it should be. And so far, I've never had to leave negative feedback for a seller ....

So things don't ALWAYS trend in the direction of pear-shaped .... !

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Ebay's fees are horrendous, but they have done a good job of cleaning out the near-do-well sellers. Now you see sellers begging to "work things out" before you leave any negative feedback. This because bad feedback means having selling privileges suspended. Defaulting to the buyer's opinion means returns are possible now, even if the ad says "no returns".

Unfortunately, the higher fees and tightened security has ended all the casual, weekend sellers that were cleaning out the garage, and left only the professionals with their higher prices.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Two edged Sword. I sell a lot on eBay. I have 2600+ positive feedback. That is despite the fact that I have sold over 6000+ items. People tend to not leave feedback. I ship promptly and often times lose money on shipping because I always charge actual shipping cost with no handling, sometimes I will pay for insurance out of pocket and eBay's shipping calculator at times sucks.

As a seller I am only allowed to leave positive feedback, there is no other option offered by eBay. I can leave positive feedback or report the buyer to eBay, that's it.

I have had 2 negative feedbacks in all of that time. One was a person in Mexico who bought a vintage VW part, took 8 days to pay and then sent a negative feedback the very next day after paying saying that he had not received it yet. eBay says that is his prerogative and it stands as a negative, work it out with the buyer.
The second was a person who bought a vintage 1951 Cadillac tube radio. After winning the auction he decided the shipping was more than he wanted to pay. I told him I understood, those old radios are heavy and that I would send a "cancel the auction" through eBay. When you do that eBay sends the buyer a notice of auction cancellation and the buyer has to agree to it. This happened and the buyer agreed to cancel the auction. Two months later I get a negative feedback on this transaction. I called eBay and asked why when it was cancelled, the lady said that it was not right and they would fix it. Never happened, after several calls I gave up.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...the problem I have been noticing is the huge increment in the overseas shipping costs.
There a couple of sellers that charge too much, more than others; so they seem to earn money from shipping too.
The other day I bought a swing arm, cost me in very good condition, around 25 Dollars and the shipping cost was 72 Dollars!; in the past for the same type of swing arm with the same seller I paid around 3 times less for the shipping.

Lannis #635968 01/19/16 10:21 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ebay has a calculator system that sets the shipping/handling cost no matter what the actual cost is.

I always add a "note to seller" about this. MOST sellers will ship at a better rate that what was listed if you contact them. They refund the difference thru "refund buyer". It never hurts to thank them for their listing, and fair pricing, then ask if they will work with you on the shipping costs.
Often times I will email them a shipping label on my UPS account, and they refund the full advertised shipping price.

What really gets me is the feedback.
I purchase a LOT of items from Taiwan, Korea, and China. Mostly on their native sites, and not so much thru the US site.
I'll state that 3 out of ten items will never arrive or a different/inferior product will arrive. Faux leather or hard plastic(styrene) vs the advertised "nylon".

It doesn't pay to ship back poor items so you have to ask for a shipping label, and a refund.
They ALWAYS ask for 5 star feedback. They pester you for it.

Message after message:

Dear,
We are sorry you item(s) were not delivered.
As you know we strive for 100% positive feedback.
We do re-ship you item(s) for you. This will keep our positive FleaBay rating.

Please leave 5 star rating.

We will re-ship today. Please allow 30-45 day maximum before leaving negative feedback but instead contact us, and we will do our best to make you satisfied. If you agree to us we will re-ship.
Thank You,

NotSoFunny666

Language barriers aside, what part of poor/weak/lame/crap products don't they get?

I wait for my refund rather than a re-ship, and then leave 100% honest feedback. I will not be blackmailed or conned into a false report of my experience.
Since 2009 (signed up) I have only left 4 dead negative feedbacks, and a couple 3-4, 3 stars or less.

The system only works if you abide by the rules.

Lannis #635976 01/19/16 11:32 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The ebay calculator sucks especially on over seas items... Sold a book recently on ebay and the buyer was in france. The book cost him 8 dollars. ebay said 25 dollars to ship it. Thats what he paid. Real cost was 54 dollars. I suggested we just cancel the transaction. I'd lose more then I made. I wish the calculator worked better. The real shipping cost seem to have risen as well????

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Lannis #635977 01/20/16 12:03 am
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Most EBAY sellers I have dealt with have been great. My gripe is with EBAY itself.
"Report an item" is a joke. How about that guy who continues listing steel signs for Indian and Harley all over the BSA Parts site as "Fits BSA." HOW does it "fit BSA?"
I have reported him as purposely cross-listing NAME BRAND items in wrong categories.
This used to be against EBAY'S own rules. They do nothing about it.

Also, EBAY says selling guns is not allowed, yet somebody keeps listing BSA rifles in the BSA
motorcycle parts listings. I reported this, too. Results? NOTHING.

EBAY continually changes the "report" categories, making it more and more difficult to report violations you see.

Why follow EBAY rules, when somebody else doesn't, and continually gets away with it?

Lannis #635978 01/20/16 12:09 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...I tried several times to communicate to the sellers about the shipping cost but always they told me to pay what ebay says.
In this last case, I never had a response, so I paid but I bet that in the box those 72 bucks will not show up.

Lannis #636024 01/20/16 10:43 am
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Shipping is a real killer on a lot of items. Unless it fits in a flat rate USPS box the cost of shipping often is more than what the item sold for. I sold a item last week for 4.00, the shipping was 9.06 to go less than 350 miles from where I live. The buyer was happy with the item, something he needed for a restoration. The problem is with returns, if a item turns out not to be what the buyer needed, there was a problem or they changed their mind, it really cuts into your bottom line. As an example the above 4.00 item returned means that I have to pay the shipping back. In cases like that I just tell the buyer to throw the item away and I will refund the original cost plus shipping.

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com