Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
BrizzoBrit
BrizzoBrit
Brisbane, Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 86
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Magnetoman, gunner), 36 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jon B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Hi Guys:

I posted this query on the Velo North America Yahoo site, but I was expecting a somewhat more positive answer.

According to one knowledgeable chap, there are only 3 sidecar mounts on the Venom. The fourth (lower Front) would have to be fabricated and attached to the lower frame tubes. I prefer welding a ball joint attachment point, rather than a purely mechanical one, But if it is well designed without inducing additional stress to the frame/crankcase, I would certainly consider it.

Additionally, the machine has the fiberglass engine cowls, which really look great,

and I really want to keep them even it requires some modification.

So, in summary, is the Velocette Venom really suited for sidecar work? I asked this approximate question some months ago on VNofA and Velo Yahoo Group, I was greeted with a general endorsement of either the Venom or more preferable an MSS.

My sidecar of choice would be a restored 1950's Watsonian Avon,(Large Spoked Wheel),which I already own.

As a side bar, I have a 1967 BMW R60/2 with a Steib TR500 sidecar, runs great and handle's well.

I am hoping that the Venom / Watsonian combination would will be a successful match.

Is there someone out there who has accomplished this?

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.
Jon B

British motorcycles on eBay
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
Jon,
15 years ago, I had a Velorex attached to my '67 Venom. With either one of my kids in it, I had a hard time doing more than 50 mile per hour. I am a big guy, but with the sidecar off the Venom would cruise the Turnpike at 80 without difficulty. I later put the sidecar on my Norton Atlas. It was much more enjoyable. I still have the Venom and the Atlas, but not that sidecar. I have another Velorex on a Honda and a home made lawnchair hack attached to a small Benelli.

I suspect that you will enjoy your Venom a whole lot more if you put your sidecar on something else.

Ed from NJ

J
Jon B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Hi Ed:
Regarding your 1967 Venom with sidecar experience. Did you
try varying the primary gear ratios? i.e. smaller number of
teeth on the engine output sprocket.
By any chance is your Venom for sale??
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
57 Mendham Road
Gladstone, NJ,07934
Tel: 908-801-8817
Email: [email protected]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com