Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Doug P, Tridentman, Gary Caines), 25 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
^ here, Here- well said Lannis

Mike
1971 BSA B25SS
1965 HONDA C90
1969 HONDA C90
British motorcycles on eBay
D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Copy that Lannis, I will absolutely try my best to be at the 3 State this year...Hope to see you there!

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
1968 BSA Firebird “Scrambler”
198? Triumph T-140 “Electro”
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DPO
Originally Posted by AngloBike
So does not riding like a comple twat and not knowing how to brake

Wow! There he is! There's one in every crowd. Your right, I suppose I was riding like a complete twat. The reality is, and I may have left this out, is that my speedometer actually indicates 5 mph faster than actual speed, so I was actually doing around 65, which is still no excuse, and although the google map is pretty, it does no justice to the slight hill I had topped mere split seconds before I seen the stopped traffic! That, coupled with the fact that I am human, and have a tendency to remember things that happen to my riding buddies that seem to stick in my mind, and have an effect on my actions/reactions (Greg's front brake horror story), but surely not "twat" level! I took the bike out this weekend, took it to the same speed, and really got on the front and rear brakes HARD, and at this point, I feel like I would have stopped in plenty of time, always learning.
My biggest problem here, is I have a strong desire to share things that I feel are important to me, and others. I easily forget that there's people EVERYWHERE just waiting to pick and redicule somehow what is trying to be said. You would think that I would have learned about posting anywhere by this time. A large part of me, at this point, wants to take the Pastor his bike back to him, and try motor boating!

Excellent response, and the right attitude Mark..except the motorboat part. Hope to see you in Blowing Rock this year.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If you think old Brit Bikes are expensive to keep up with, buy a boat. Hole in the water in which one pours money.

Ask me how I know.

Zimm

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Zimm
If you think old Brit Bikes are expensive to keep up with, buy a boat. Hole in the water in which one pours money.

Ask me how I know.

Zimm

In increasing order of expense:

1) Motorcycles

2) Swimming Pools

3) Boats

4) Horses

5) Outside women.

I only have personal experience with a few of those, of course, but that's what they tell me ....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Ger B
Dense traffic and ignorant phoning and texting car drivers are another problem.

And you are the one retired laughing
I'm in it twice a day...
Well... ten more months... beerchug

I just got back from a 2,000mile round trip to Tampa, Fla. I was surprised by how many people were texting at 80mph in traffic. It only takes one little mistake to take out a bunch of people

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S

Ask me how I know.

Zimm

It's been said that the best day of your life is the day you buy a boat, the second best day is the day you sell it.
Unless you live on a lake or love to fish it's probably not a good investment.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by shel
Originally Posted by Ger B
Dense traffic and ignorant phoning and texting car drivers are another problem.

And you are the one retired laughing
I'm in it twice a day...
Well... ten more months... beerchug

I just got back from a 2,000mile round trip to Tampa, Fla. I was surprised by how many people were texting at 80mph in traffic. It only takes one little mistake to take out a bunch of people

A woman I know recently dropped and smashed her smart phone, near where I was. It was late at night ... she almost got hysterical, she set out to find a replacement instantly, but all the places were closed. She could not sleep that night and could not getting other people to help her get a replacement RIGHT THEN, as she could not wait till morning.

It was worse than a heroin addict that couldn't get a fix. She, and millions of others, are addicted to these things to the same degree (physically and psychologically) as people are addicted to alcohol and narcotics. They can literally not interact with people in any way if they don't have their "device".

That is why THOUSANDS of people (many innocent ones) die on the highways each year from Distracted Driving. And we appear to do nothing; it's just the "normal wastage" of 21st century life. Since I MUST text while driving, YOU must die in the same wreck as me .....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I took my youngest daughter along with me, I was surprised at the amount of time she spent playing with her phone. It did come in handy when we got lost though.

DOPE
DOPE
I never get lost. But i frequently take interesting and scenic diversions from my route.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
There's nothing interesting in Tampa as far as I could see. I could never live in a city that large and busy.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis

Ask me how I know.

Zimm

In increasing order of expense:

1) Motorcycles

2) Swimming Pools

3) Boats

4) Horses

5) Outside women.

I only have personal experience with a few of those, of course, but that's what they tell me ....

Lannis

you forgot airplanes. Not that I'll ever know, but I've been told so.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by kevin
I never get lost. But i frequently take interesting and scenic diversions from my route.

That's called TOURING! Best way to go on a bike!

Lannis

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
The best rides seem to be the ones with no particular destination in mind.
My best days out on the bike is when me and my son pick a direction, ride until we're lost, find some place to eat and then work our way home.

knuckle head
knuckle head
DPO, you did the right thing because neither you or the bike were crushed.......It's easy to say you shoulda done this or that but every avoidance is unique...

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There's nothing interesting in Tampa as far as I could see. I could never live in a city that large and busy.

Since I live on the west side of Tampa Bay, when you guys are up to your arm pits in a snow drift, Tampa Bay looks a lot more interesting

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Thunderbutt

Since I live on the west side of Tampa Bay, when you guys are up to your arm pits in a snow drift, Tampa Bay looks a lot more interesting

laughing
No doubt!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I moved to Vermont to get away from the overcrowding and craziness of Florida, period. But, I have always had a soft spot for Tampa...love it there !!!

Anybody remember 95 YNF (FM 94.9 WYNF)? Man, I miss that station and loved Ron and Ron !!!!

[Linked Image]

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I've learned that the best boat is your Buddies boat! You can use and enjoy it as much as he does, but at the end of the day, you can just walk away, and leave him to maintain it! My daughter and future son-in-law just bought a HUGE boat. Not sure what it is, but it has a bedroom, shower, bar, and some kind of really big engines! 6 digit price I'm sure!

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
1968 BSA Firebird “Scrambler”
198? Triumph T-140 “Electro”
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by DPO
I've learned that the best boat is your Buddies boat! You can use and enjoy it as much as he does, but at the end of the day, you can just walk away, and leave him to maintain it!

Well, you can substitute "swimming pool", "motorcycle", lots of other things in there instead of "boat" and it still works. It may affect the Buddy part if you try "wife", though .... shocked

Life member
Life member
Originally Posted by DPO
I took the bike out this weekend, took it to the same speed, and really got on the front and rear brakes HARD, and at this point, I feel like I would have stopped in plenty of time, always learning.

Excellent knowledge to have, and a real confidence builder as well.

BSA
Matchless
Triumph
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Jon W- "95 YNF" Wow that brings back memories! That was one of my favorite stations to listen to on my drive home after working the midnight shift. Several years ago I purchased a race car that was campaigned in the Firestone Firehawk Road Race Series. And that 95YNF decal was plastered right on the hood of the car.
I don't know how long ago you lived down here in the Tampa Bay area but things haven't gotten much better as far as overcrowding. I guess its just like any other major metropolitan area. With this past winter being so cold we have really seen an increase in tourist traffic this year. Luckily my wife and I are retired now so we can arrange our schedules to avoid most of the rush hour traffic.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I moved away from Florida in 2006. Aside from being stationed around the country while in the military, the majority of my life up to that time was spent in Florida. I'm from Orlando/Kissimmee...growing up in south Orlando near Orlando International Airport and in Kissimmee.

I grew up on 100.3 WDIZ and for a time Zeta7 too. However, whenever around Tampa and on clear nights in Kissimmee, you could pick up 95 YNF...Tampa Bay's Home of Rock n' Roll :bigt and I think I would have to say that was always my favorite radio station of all time !!

As much as I love a lot of things about the area and spending time in Tampa and Sarasota, I don't really miss it and when I travel on the interstate here to work, I really don't miss it ! No daily traffic jams here and wrecks at the same spot every morning announced dutifully on the radio ( Orlando ---we have a wreck on the 408 at OBT...traffic is backed up 2.5 miles !!!! )...plus I get to look at the beautiful mountains on my way in..ha ha ha !

Originally Posted by Thunderbutt
I don't know how long ago you lived down here in the Tampa Bay area but things haven't gotten much better as far as overcrowding. I guess its just like any other major metropolitan area. With this past winter being so cold we have really seen an increase in tourist traffic this year. Luckily my wife and I are retired now so we can arrange our schedules to avoid most of the rush hour traffic.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com