Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Carmackle, John Harvey, Hillbilly bike, courtney, Duncan Rogers, Tom A65LR), 20 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger
Lawrence Grodsky, the nation's leading expert in motorcycle riding safety was killed while riding his bike. Taken out by a deer. He could have done something about that.

The only thing he could have "done about that" was to not ride at all.

I have had Virginia whitetail deer smash into the sides of cars three times, twice into my wife's Aerostar van and once into a 2002 Buick. The buck hit the Buick so hard on the driver's door hinge that the door wouldn't open. Saw the deer heading straight for the car, slammed on brakes and swerved away from the deer toward the right shoulder, but the deer changed course to aim for the car and hit it.

Both times on the Aerostar, we were in our driveway going about 20 MPH at night when a deer quartered in from the rear and smashed into the side of the van.

There is absolutely no avoiding deer. Sure, you can minimize the chances of RUNNING INTO one by slowing and watching, but you can't stop them from hitting YOU. It's like trying to avoid someone hiding in the bushes firing a gun at you .....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis

There is absolutely no avoiding deer.

Sounds frightening, good thing for safety is that there are no deer in the area where I live. Dense traffic and ignorant phoning and texting car drivers are another problem.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Peter R

There is absolutely no avoiding deer.

Sounds frightening, good thing for safety is that there are no deer in the area where I live. Dense traffic and ignorant phoning and texting car drivers are another problem.

It IS frightening ... one of the reasons I quit riding for some years in the 1980s was "one too many" close calls with deer. The last one made a 20-foot leap from the top of a bank, landed on the road about 10 feet in front of my wheel, and bounded to the top of the bank on the other side of the road.

Deer are a pestilence here ... hunting doesn't help much; you can kill 16 deer annually on one license in our county and it's not fazing the population. I killed two and we're in the process of eating them (they will fill a freezer up well!). Our local body-and-fender shop says that 80% of his business in fall and winter is deer strikes ....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
My next door neighbour recently hit a deer on his Suzuki 850 killed the deer, wrote off his bike covered him in blood & guts the ambulance men thought he was severely injured as there was so much blood but he was ok! but he has now given up riding.Luckily most deer around here are small roe deer but there is also big stags that appear in front of you on the road and just stand looking at you in your headlamps then slowly walk into hedgerow.Worst I have had was belting around a backroad at night on my old A10 came round a corner and had to pick a path thru around twenty escaped pigs that were on the road this is where your off road skills come into play, I am a great believer in that off road riding especially when young improves your chances of surviving on the road ..Dave

1941 BSA WM20
1958 TRI-BSA 750 PRE UNIT
1957 THUNDERBIRD
1932 R E MODEL GS SPECIAL
1947 BSA YM21
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Tribsauk
I am a great believer in that off road riding especially when young improves your chances of surviving on the road ..Dave

Dave,
I tell this to every rider I can, most pay me no mind.
Quads DON'T count!
The earlier you can start off-road, the better off you will be!

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Rickman
Originally Posted by Tribsauk
I am a great believer in that off road riding especially when young improves your chances of surviving on the road ..Dave

Dave,
I tell this to every rider I can, most pay me no mind.
Quads DON'T count!
The earlier you can start off-road, the better off you will be!

This is no doubt 100% true. Downhill skiing helps too- these activities develop and maintain the mind's ability to [very] quickly choose effective path of travel and course of action, helps cognitive abilities and keeps reflexes sharp.
Motocross racers and other motorcycle race riders are often skiers in Winter time. Mountain biking is another sport that helps in this same regard.

The side benefit from all the above is maintaining physical strength- always a plus.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
So does not riding like a comple twat and not knowing how to brake

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by AngloBike

No need for answers like that - tough crowd is one thing-pig ignorant is entirely different.
I have never, to date (touching wood) had a road accident or insurance claim on either motorcycles/automobiles or for that matter pedal cycles, I have however had so many near misses (often caused by my lack of skill/inattention or just plain stupidity). I would never have had the courage to describe them in detail on a forum for discussion - so good on ya OP.

Last edited by Mike P; 03/26/15 4:00 pm.

Mike
1971 BSA B25SS
1965 HONDA C90
1969 HONDA C90
6T Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I know the French police use these for deer & wild boar......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-2-Animal-alert-deer-whistle-for-cars-van-vehical-air-activated-/281578805625?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

...I do not and cannot accept the principal that incompetence justifies dismissal...
T120R '67
6T 1965
T110 1958
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Dense traffic and ignorant phoning and texting car drivers are another problem.

And you are the one retired laughing
I'm in it twice a day...
Well... ten more months... beerchug

Ger B

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
lots o deer here in this part of Old North State..see em dead on roadside all the time and buzzard population is booming...last 'close call' for me was last year due to wild turkey..lots o them too...stoopid thing flew up in front of me on road and i had to lay on tank roadrace style or it would have taken my head off.....rule is..keep head/eyes on swivel for critters in cars/on hoof/on wing..

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero

1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by raf940
.rule is..keep head/eyes on swivel for critters in cars/on hoof/on wing..

Yep.
Ride aggressively DEFENSIVE!

Defend yourself.

Life member
Life member
Good thread, congrats on surviving that close encounter DPO.

Zooming in on Google Earth, it's easy to see what led up to the situation, fairly straight road with stuff to look at on both sides maybe leading to inattention or daydreaming.

Personally, I tend to gawk about a fair bit but keep it to a quick glance and then eyes back on the road looking for more danger. Daydreaming is a complete no-no, can't let that happen. It's good to practice making a panic stop occasionally, and always be aware when that option's not available to you, as in wet or sand on road conditions, or when cornering.
As a habit, I try to ride in such a manner that I'll never need to brake, but always have front brake covered with my index and middle finger.
Here's a short video from the other day, got that front brake covered the whole time. A fairly quiet little ride, still had a number of moments of increased danger though.

BSA
Matchless
Triumph
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by 6T
I know the French police use these for deer & wild boar......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-2-Animal-alert-deer-whistle-for-cars-van-vehical-air-activated-/281578805625?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Hunters around here use those too; they do a great job of attracting deer and wild turkey ....

6T Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
..no,they DON'T attract...they make the deer/boar stop in it's tracks.. by which time you'll be a way down the road once the whistle is inaudable.The only problem is you must make sure the are free of bugs which stops them working...

...I do not and cannot accept the principal that incompetence justifies dismissal...
T120R '67
6T 1965
T110 1958
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by 6T
..no,they DON'T attract...they make the deer/boar stop in it's tracks.. by which time you'll be a way down the road once the whistle is inaudable.The only problem is you must make sure the are free of bugs which stops them working...

I was not quite half joking ... there's a lot of discussion as to whether these "deer whistles" actually do anything or not. There are hundreds of thousands of them sold on the counters of every chain Auto Parts store each year, and there's as yet no concrete evidence of whether they work or not. Some of them are destroyed when the car hits the deer .....

Lannis

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Can only speak for myself here....I have had close calls due to distractions, daydreaming, whatever. It was MY fault because I was in control of my vehicle at the time it happened. Fortunately, I lived and am able to (hopefully) learn from my mistakes. Riding a motorcycle is a calculated risk and the more one hones his mental and physical skills, the better the chances to ride another day.
Cheers
Mike

DOPE
DOPE
stinking deer. my truck, last week:

[Linked Image]

i like deer, i find them biologically interesting animals. but they have very obviously never evolved a detection system for large vehicles. this is a big truck, with a dented big bumper:

[Linked Image]

aroubd here they're deadly-- 250 pounds and stupid.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Deer are simply one of the dangers of motorcycling. One of the many. One could say things like, Well I never...., or I'm only going to... But face it there are a great many reasons NOT to ride. (insert semi oblique current events reference here)
Or fly on airplanes for that matter, speaking of unforeseen dangers and things beyond our control.

We all assume our own level of acceptable risk,
but at the end of the day we only have so much "control". When your numbers up, it's up. I'd rather die on a motorcycle than in a hospital bed.

On the subject of deer and trucks, I am continually amazed at how deer are nearly completely vaporized by big trucks. We live at the epicenter of East Coast transportation. Loads of trucks and trains around here.
Lots of times on our local freeways, you'll see a massive splatter of blood with tiny bits of matter, and a bit of skin. And that's IT.
I rode thru a cloud of sticky, thick .....molecules.....
late one night last summer that I am absolutely certain was a former deer.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 03/27/15 8:54 pm.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
I'd rather die on a motorcycle than in a hospital bed.

Not just yet, though!

Lannis

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Thank God the only deer I have to worry about is SWMBO, as in "Yes dear, no dear, straight away dear".

I agree that when your number's up, it's up, but I also like to stack the odds in my favour. If we have an allotted amount of luck, I think I used nearly all of mine up in my young and stupid days.

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
I'd rather die on a motorcycle than in a hospital bed.

Not just yet, though!

Lannis

My level of acceptable risk is pretty high, I guess.
Not to say Id hasten my own demise.
Life is too much fun to die just yet.
But I still ride at night. grin

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Tasman
I think I used nearly all of mine up in my young and stupid days.

Abso- FREAKIN'-lutely!!!!!

Last edited by Rickman; 03/27/15 11:04 pm.
D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D

Wow! There he is! There's one in every crowd. Your right, I suppose I was riding like a complete twat. The reality is, and I may have left this out, is that my speedometer actually indicates 5 mph faster than actual speed, so I was actually doing around 65, which is still no excuse, and although the google map is pretty, it does no justice to the slight hill I had topped mere split seconds before I seen the stopped traffic! That, coupled with the fact that I am human, and have a tendency to remember things that happen to my riding buddies that seem to stick in my mind, and have an effect on my actions/reactions (Greg's front brake horror story), but surely not "twat" level! I took the bike out this weekend, took it to the same speed, and really got on the front and rear brakes HARD, and at this point, I feel like I would have stopped in plenty of time, always learning.
My biggest problem here, is I have a strong desire to share things that I feel are important to me, and others. I easily forget that there's people EVERYWHERE just waiting to pick and redicule somehow what is trying to be said. You would think that I would have learned about posting anywhere by this time. A large part of me, at this point, wants to take the Pastor his bike back to him, and try motor boating!

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
1968 BSA Firebird “Scrambler”
198? Triumph T-140 “Electro”
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by DPO

Wow! There he is! There's one in every crowd.

I took the bike out this weekend, took it to the same speed, and really got on the front and rear brakes HARD, and at this point, I feel like I would have stopped in plenty of time, always learning.....
My biggest problem here, is I have a strong desire to share things that I feel are important to me, and others. I easily forget that there's people EVERYWHERE just waiting to pick and redicule somehow what is trying to be said.

No sir! YOU are doing great. YOU are helping the rest of us learn from your experiences. YOU are handling the whole situation, AND the feedback, like a gentleman.

It's the name-calling people that have never met you and probably would never ride an old bike to a rally that are wrong. I won't call THEM names because that would make ME a name-caller, but they are absolutely wrong.

Keep calm and carry on. You give an honest report, decent people give honest feedback, and just ignore the boys sitting in their mother's dark basement bedroom calling names of people they don't know ....

Lannis

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com