Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/31/23 2:14 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 77
DavidP 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
BSA A65 rebuild, Dan Haggard, Padsdad, sam keller, Raz
12,386 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,525
Posts783,968
Members12,386
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#589252 03/08/15 2:31 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I am having trouble getting the upper pushrod tube seals on my 73 T100 motor to go into the proper position. They basically twist, resist, tear and squish. Any suggestions? The ones I am using are white rubber-(Viton?) Thanks to all!
Dave

Last edited by Vetterdog; 03/08/15 2:38 pm.

vdog
66 6T
67 A65L
72 T100R
Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P-80 is a rubber lubricant that helps assembly, good for o-rings, oil seals, JOHN HEALY talked of P-80 in a article, "THOSE PESKY PUSH ROD TUBE SEALS"! VINTAGE BIKE MAGAZINE! Make sure you have the correct squish washer @ the bottom, upon dry assembly you do have 30-40 thousands for proper sealing?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A related problem that I have had ( 66 to 68 T100 )is that the pushrod tube doesn't always fit freely into the head and the head, tube or both need some trimming so that the tube is free to fit and doesn't end up metal to metal before it actually engages with the seal. Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not sure what seals your using but I used imperial #120 viton O rings at the tops and metric 24 x 3 viton O rings at the bottom on my '73 Daytona engine and they go in without problems and are still completely leak and seepage free after 6000 miles.
Didn't use the flat white rings that came with the gasket kit and had 40 thou crush on the rings.
Use glycerine as an assembly lubricant as it dries out completely once they are fitted.

davy

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks All for the guidance. I did notice that in my parts book the seals are listed as O rings, and I did install the white ones that were in the gasket set I'm using. The bottom set fits nicely though, so I will try an OR on the top.
-Dave

vdog
66 6T
67 A65L
72 T100R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Dave,

Originally Posted by Vetterdog
I am having trouble getting the upper pushrod tube seals on my 73 T100 motor to go into the proper position. They basically twist, resist, tear and squish. Any suggestions? The ones I am using are white rubber-(Viton?)

Are these "white" ones square- or oblong-section? If so, they're the wrong ones for a '73 - check the parts book. Triumph had several goes at trying to make the prt seal properly, and the head, tappet blocks, tubes and seals aren't always compatible, so you need to make sure all the bike's bits are from the same year, or you've likely got two hopes of making your bike leak-free.

Btw, if "P-80" or "glycerine" aren't available, cheap spray-on furniture polish makes a good lube. :bigt

Hth.

Regards,

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I used the o rings on the top with a smear of permatex and left the white outers and O-ring inners on the bottom and it all went together nicely! Thanks to all!

[Linked Image]

vdog
66 6T
67 A65L
72 T100R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi,

all went together nicely!

Errrm ... how can I put this without possibly spoiling your day? ...Ok ...have you considered you might've put the rocker boxes on the wrong way 'round? ... Spindle domed nuts should be on the timing side? ... The parts book does show the inlet and exhaust rocker boxes with different part numbers ...

Also, have you thought about where the head steadies are going to attach to the frame? Fwiw, on my '69, I couldn't connect them from the exhaust head/rockerbox bolts, the coils were in the way; I connected 'em from the inlet head/rockerbox bolts to the bracket at the rear of the main frame loop. However, I appreciate the parts book picture does show the bolts with the relevant extension through the exhaust rocker boxes.

Hth.

Regards,

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You never really know about PRTs until the bike runs

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Stuart
Hi,

Errrm ... how can I put this without possibly spoiling your day? ...Ok ...have you considered you might've put the rocker boxes on the wrong way 'round? ...
Regards,
your right they are the wrong way round but it wont matter.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by malla1962
Originally Posted by Stuart
Hi,

Errrm ... how can I put this without possibly spoiling your day? ...Ok ...have you considered you might've put the rocker boxes on the wrong way 'round? ...
Regards,
your right they are the wrong way round but it wont matter.

It would matter an awful lot to me.

davy

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

The rocker boxes will work ok, but Stuart is right about the head steady bolts/studs. They need to be on the inlet boxes.

1969 T100S
1955 Tiger Cub
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I like to put things together the way they came apart, same tappet to same cam lobe, same pushrod end to same tappet, same rocker to same pushrod end, same rocker to same shaft, same shaft to same rockerbox and same rockerbox exactly where it came from on the head.
Fitting them on the wrong sides changes the contact pattern between the rocker ends and the valves tips and even the thrust between the valve and guide that has been bedded in over time so the parts will all have to bed in together again from scratch causing further wear.

Why would you do that when it's a simple job to swap the rockerboxes around to their correct original positions?

davy

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com