Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/31/23 2:14 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 77
DavidP 74
Allan G 47
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
Newest Members
BSA A65 rebuild, Dan Haggard, Padsdad, sam keller, Raz
12,386 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,525
Posts783,977
Members12,386
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#588981 03/06/15 11:30 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
69 Bonnie......headlight bulbs are having a short life.
Bike still has original Zener and rectifier.
Poor bulb manufacture? Any ideas?

Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Yes , plenty of ideas , some even valid .

Vibration is a killer , it could be as simple as this .

Have you checked the max dc voltage
to see if and when that the zenner is cutting in ... and doing its job ?

I would recommend a more modern rectifier/regulator (generic black box )
, but this would answer a different question
you did not ask .

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Check the ground connections of the zener. Take the bits off and clean up any oxidation. Poor connections here can give voltage spikes. Look for any wires that have frayed and holding by a couple of strands. Check battery terminals, grounds and fuse holder. Dismantle and properly clean them.

What are you using for bulbs? brand name, etc? Have they blown while riding with lights on or have you first discovered the problem when you go to use the lights?

Examine the filaments. Does it look like they've melted/fused? Or do they look more like a fracture?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My first headlamp bulb blew in a couple of weeks, it was an expensive high end type.
I replaced it with a cheaper type which still does the job and it's lasted two and a half years so far.

The reason?... cheaper bulb filaments contain less tungsten and so are less brittle.

davy

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
On my T100 road bike, almost every nut and bolt has rubber washers or o rings, including the headlight mounts. Bulbs last a long time. If your blown bulb is white and milky inside it usually indicates an air leak which equals a duff bulb. Ridden many a mile with the lights on and the rubber o rings/washers seem to make the difference. No cracks in the fenders or anywhere, nothing falling off and good lamp life. Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi,

Originally Posted by SEATTLE GS
69 Bonnie

As well the others, if the headlamp is the original British Pre Focus:-

. Do the cap and spring hold the bulb tightly in the reflector?

. Does the cap have a loop attached?

. If it does, does the loop have the original push-in bullet terminal, with a wedge-shaped cut-out? If it does, the Red return cable conductor is just folded up and pushed into the terminal; at least, you need to pull all this apart and ensure it's all clean and tight; otoh, ime and mho, the bullet is best replaced with one like those that fit in the snap connectors.

. If the cap doesn't have a return cable attached, the return for the bulb is currently through its contact with the reflector, the reflector's contact with the rim, the rim's contact with the shell and a Red cable to a loop rivetted into the bottom of the shell. Apart from that was always a crap electrical return path, the shell cable loop is rivetted just where any water collects and rusts the shell, so it's now an even worse return path ...

The headlamp needs a good direct electrical return path, at least into the Red cables network in the harness.

With a meter, you should be able to measure zero-Ohms continuity:-

. from the headlamp bulb to the Red cables' connection around the head - head-steady or head/rocker box bolt/stud;

. from that engine Red cables' connection to battery +ve.

You should also check the wiring stuffed into the headlamp shell, to ensure that, when the headlamp's in there as well, nothing's being badly-crushed and/or -bent.

Hth.

Regards,

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
THanks, I will get my hands on the bike next week and check. I had it last year and cleaned up all the grounds and connections. I would like to replace the reg/rect with a blackbox, I was wondering if it might allow a sudden spike and blow the bulb. I just spent some time tracking down a short that was blowing fuses intermittently. Now on to this bug. I will double check the Zener and its ground, usually a bear to get to.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
How high are you revving the engine before shifting?
This sometimes is a cause.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Clues:
Is there a piece of a broken filament floating around inside the glass globe?

Is the filament vaporized and the end of the support wires melted into a small ball from heat?

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The bulb has exploded the filament...there is a white haze in the inside of the bulb...I think I can rule out vibration. I will check out all the grounds and connections tomorrow. How about throwing in a black box reg/rect to eliminate variables.?

Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
I was going through a bulb a week in the tail light until I got rid of the stock grounding system and made my own. Same for the head light.
Electronic regulator is only plus. People who cling to stock regulators/rectifiers and ignitions baffle me. It's like cooking the rear chain in a skillet full of grease on the stove. It's in the book but the book is 40 years old.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi,

The bulb has exploded the filament...there is a white haze in the inside of the bulb...I think I can rule out vibration.

Why? Aiui, "white haze" indicates an air leak into the glass envelope. Also, the filament has "exploded"(?). What would induce either of those except vibration?

I will check out all the grounds and connections tomorrow.

Bear in mind that the headlamp shouldn't use "grounds"; you should be able to see a cable all the way from at least very near the headlamp bulb to battery +ve.

How about throwing in a black box reg/rect to eliminate variables?

"variables"? confused From your posts, the problem is only with the headlamp bulb?

Hth.

Regards,

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Don't skimp on bulbs for your bike. There are some horrible ones out there. I've had them disintegrate in my hand before I've even installed them.

I have one of the original halogen kits in my Norton from the '80's. It still has the original bulb in it. It cost me 35$ back then, but it has appeared to have been worth it.

If you prefer to run filament bulbs, be sure to check the bulb that comes out. Vibration will erode the two soft contacts and that means you should probably use rubber mounts.

A motorcycle by any anyone's criteria is a hostile environment for electrics of any kind.

One only has to have the lights go out on a fast corner in the dead of night to really appreciate the need for special attention to your electrics.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Those little halogen riding light bulbs that go in the pilot position don't last long on my bike but the normal old fashioned pilot and headlamp bulbs last for years.

Dave

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I ran quartz halogen sealed beam units in a couple of my bikes. They last a year, maybe. But, they're 7.00$ at NAPA. I went back to filament type and they also last just one year, but are a couple bucks cheaper.

I think you just get what you pay for, for the most part.....

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I don't think I've ever blown a headlight (55/60 watt h4) or tail light. The little speedo and pilot bulbs go occasionally. I did try led's in those, but found them no better (in fact worse, as they are more expensive! )

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My 650 used to shake bulbs to bits.

Now have rubber mounted head and tail lights and bulbs last forever.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The bike does not have any extreme vibration, but I won't rule it out as a problem. I will make a ground from the headlight to the frame

Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Make a ground from the headlight bulb to the battery. You'll be amazed at how bright the headlight can be.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Here's something very simple to try, and it might fix your problem. Put a dab of general purpose grease on the bulb's terminals before installing it.

Seems to work for me... snap, snap.

http://www.hermit.cc/tmc/technote/446bulb/index.htm

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
check for AC current across battery terminal s

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Bob,

Originally Posted by btour
check for AC current across battery terminal s

Aiui, no; batteries supply, and are charged by, DC.

What you're possibly thinking of is John Healy's advice to check for AC leaking across the rectifier to the DC side? But, while AC won't do electronics any favours, incandescent bulbs shouldn't find it a problem? With the old 6V systems, the lighting was supplied by four of the alternator stator coils.

Hth.

Regards,

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
hi h smile my problem was rectifer going intermittent. ac surges. i guess with no dc bank. it was the devil to figure out.

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com