Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tom A65LR, kommando, Carmackle, John Harvey, Hillbilly bike, courtney), 26 guests, and 76 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
people, i'm ignorant, and i'm curious.

what are you folks using for road race tires on old triumphs?

3.25 x wm2 and 4.00 x wm3

the old 19 and 18 inch rims.

how well do these tires stick on non-track use? i'm not interested in historically correct, just road-holding.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
British motorcycles on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I use road riders, I also prefer K82's over K81's if you can get the sizes ( make the bike better in corners)

The road riders will hold a tight bend in heavy rain on crumbly British roads wink

Last edited by Allan Gill; 09/27/14 2:31 am.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Kevin,

Avon Motorsport produce a range of Historic racing tyres with current and older tread patterns but modern sticky rubber.

Another possible alternative - although I don't know whether they do specific extra-sticky racing rubber - might be Continental's ClassicAttack radials? You'd be looking at 100/90x19 and 120/90x18?

Hth.

Regards,

knuckle head
Online Content
knuckle head
If you're a novice racer on a near stock bike... Half the price of the AM18 - Super Venom is the Pirelli Sport Demon. V rated, ok with tubes and available in sizes to fit old Brit bikes.Called a sport touring but they have enough grip to handle silly lean angles on 550 pound Moto Guzzis.

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
For racing, there is a better selection of tires for 18 inch rims. Bob Barker carries Avon and Dunlops. Seems most of the guys use Dunlops which also have a more modern tread design. Get out to the track as a spectator and see what the other guys are doing, both on tires and bikes set ups.

Ron

kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
excellent starter information. thank you, people.

i'm curious about the non-DOT labelling on the race-only tires. do they say this because they just don't want to bother with the product testing necessary to sell a race tire on the street, or is there a functional reason?

for instance, i notice that one characteristic of the race tires is that they warm up quickly. is it the idea that they stick worse than street tires unless run hard enough (race speeds and forces) to keep them hot?

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Race tires would not last long on the street. Heck they do not last long on the track. And they are lighter than road tires.. but sorry I do not know the true exact answer. Perhaps you may want to ask the expert.. Bob Barker.. http://rcbtires.com/

Oh and you can buy two street tires for what one race tire costs and have change left over.

Ron

Last edited by Ron - in California; 09/27/14 10:42 pm.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Did a track day on the 650 yesterday. Had a new Roadrider installed on the rear before I went, front RR was good still. Did several laps easy to get some heat in the tires and to scrub the "new" off. It was sunny and mid 70's most of the day, tires were more than up to the task.
I think if you're not putting crazy horsepower down, these Avons would serve well.
Mike

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mr. barker i believe carries the Dunlop 501s (DOT approved); stickiest tire I ever put on a bike (although i have never used purpose-built race tires)

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Avon race tyres at least have not for highway use on them.

Which could be because they havent needed to get them certified because they are impractical for longer term use. ie they are worn in less than 1000 km.

BUT - at least a few years ago - these tyre were notorious for going off after a few heat cycles. I asked Avon how many cycles were too many and of course they wouldnt give a firm answer.

But I know a lot of good riders who throw them after 15 to 20 cycles. In other words after 10 return trips to the shops.

Be aware if you have an accident on the street with them on I wouldnt give much for your chances with any insurance company. They love that sort of reason to deny all claims.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My comments may be dated but in 30+ years of running 19/18 wheels I will get slammed but in rain Metzler ME77, lazer CompK are good tires.
Continental, Avon Venom, AM22 or Metzler Lazer 33 front on rear, grip V pattern forward. I gave a dunlop Speedmaster a year and got pretty far over on it but just put on a ME77 front and it is far better in rain. I ran Gold Seals and still have a set for logging roads but the edge is bad in city traffic. The higher Goldseal rear tires will raise top speed though by a small factor a 19" on rear like Goldstar cheat LOL! will add maybe 10mph LOL!
Chicken strips of about 1/4" on it my ME77 front, more than most BWW's would use of it :o). Not really but wear out that far.
S

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
First of all, are you talking about track tires or street? Track tires, aka "race compound", "race only" etc. have completely different rubber and are not suitable for the street. Until race compound tires are warmed up, they can be downright dangerous on the street. As previously mentioned, they also have a very short life both in terms of the number of heat cycles they will go through and their shelf life. while it varies a little depending on the conditions, do not use race compound tires that are more than five years old. They all have four digit date code (week/year). If they don't they are too old and you will fall on your ass in the first turn. Ask me how I know blush

That said, the AM22/23 race compounds are excellent all around and are very forgiving and have a 19" front tire available but seem to go off a bit quicker than the Dunlops. The dunlops seem to take more cycles but I've found the fronts to be a little unpredictable on turn-in, but that may just be a characteristic of my own bike's handling. Additionally, Heidenau now offers race compound tires which have gotten some very positive reviews from some fellow racers.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
folks, sorry to be away. my net access zero on most days and i have just gotten back.

i would love to spend time on a track, but currently i just don't have time-- i work seven days a week, some 15 to 20 hours per day. but where i live is full of ideal motorcycle roads-- twisty, good pavement, low population, no traffic. so i'm interested in sticky street tires, at least until i take this job and shove it.

i suspected that race tires would be mostly unsuitable for street use, just as race-focused engine oils aren't a good choice for street riding, with the operating parameters being so different. so it's very useful to learn that. i didn't know that there was a limit to heat cycling the tires, although it obvious that the softer tires wear out quickly.

i'm lucky, i guess, because i have several old british machines, all of which have worn out or age-checkered K81s, all at once. so i'm expecting to try out the Avon roadriders, the pirelli sport demons, and then either continentals or dunlops. i used to have a contact at a japanese shop, and for a pittance i could buy the traded-in tires that he took off the sport bikes, most all of which still had lots of tread left for the commuting i used to do. but right now i'm interested in taking advantage of the roads here where i live, so i want to experiment.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A fresh set of AM26 Avon Road Riders will probably put a smile on your face. You'll be able to get a knee down and they will last. I just put a new rear on my commuter BSA after about 8000 miles, and I'm no slouch on the twisties.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
AM 26 Avons is my recommendation, after using all the usual Dunlop/Avon/Metzeler options, on road and track.

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i shall certainly begin with the avons

thanks, folks

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by 441/R3cafeSteve
My comments may be dated but in 30+ years of running 19/18 wheels I will get slammed but in rain Metzler ME77, lazer CompK are good tires.<snip>

You can still get CompK's?!?!?!

Best tires ever on the CBR600 Hurricane but gone in 1500 miles. That was ages ago in a land far far away...

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
this should bring back memories to a few people, if they attach.

ytyres 065.JPG ytyres 066.JPG ytyres 067.JPG
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Dunlop "Triangulars"?

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Yep, a pair of kr76 fronts, one 19 and one 18. been sitting in my shed since the early 70s. They took over from the Avon green dots.

Last edited by tank slapper; 04/13/17 11:21 pm.
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Originally Posted by tank slapper
this should bring back memories to a few people, if they attach.

Oh, God, those tires were hideous. They lasted only long enough to get home and order some new tires.

Today, the new metric for performance street tires for our classics, are the Conti Classic Attack radial tires. I've put a couple of sets on Triumphs and they threaten to outperform nearly any thing out there, especially when you factor in wear. These are supposed to last at least twice as long as the usual tire, which is 3-6k miles on average. So maybe 10k miles? It will be a while before I can confirm the extended wear claims. But, in any case, if that was true, it would represent the absolute best bargain for performance, price and durability out there.'

And they look trick as all hell.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
They were only designed as a straight out racing tyre, not as a touring tyre. Plus the riding style needed to get the best out of them, was hardly compatible with street use.

Moderated by  Allan G 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com