Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 73
quinten 65
DavidP 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 17
Newest Members
Bruce B, GuzistaM33, MarginalMotors, PETEFORD, Imfixin2
11,773 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (JER.Hill, Ob1quixote, Morgan aka admin, andyame1974, tiger_cub, Allan G), 25 guests, and 90 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#563904 09/18/14 11:04 pm
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Pearson sells a main bearing set for 75 pounds? sounds too reasonable.

The hole for the T/S main bearing is worn in my cases, Neil Keene did the work and plated the outer race on the bearing. Since then it has run well. I am about to replace the crank with either a Pearson or NEB and I will have to confront the wallowed hole problem once again. Any ideas on the best fix? Bore the hole slightly bigger, sleeve the bearing and reinstall with a new bearing?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I wonder if Phil Pearson would have an answer for this. You would think he has dealt with this issue previously.

Bill B...

Boomer
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I mentioned it to him a few years ago and all he had to say was "Oh Dear"

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
If you do a search, this has been well covered not that long ago...

Ron

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If i had that problem i would go to ABSAF. They do a metric crank / bearings and line bore the cases. Or get the right company to re-weld and line bore and choose a different crank.

I like the NEB crank / Omega forged piston set - up, but that is me.

On the last engine i rebuilt i used all C3 bearings:

Drive side roller = NSK

Drive ball = SKF (This is surprisingly cheap due to the popularity of this metric bearing).

T/s = Original Hoffman 12 roller sigle lip. I will not use anything else here (R and M also ok.) VERY RARE AND HARD TO FIND.

Mike.

Mike.

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Curious...why the hoffman only on the t/s? The others don't come close in quality?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi,

The original T/S imperial bearing is no longer made by the quality manufacturers, there may well be modern quality one's out there, but myself and others have had some bad experiences.

I am sure others will agree that you need to do your 'homework' when it comes to bearings or leave and trust the job to an expert.

I would be interested to know what other guys here are using? The other variable is of course is whether your are parading your Goldie or riding / racing her hard this will also determine what you can get away with.

Mike.

Mike.

SEATTLE GS #564410 09/21/14 10:55 pm
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
The last thing I would do is bore the timing side bearing hole. It is too thin from the beginning, which is why they distort so easily.

Ron

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I ordered a set of main bearings from Phil Pearson. Also the NEB crankshaft. End of budget. I will pull the motor apart this winter and see how things are. My big experiment is to make a crank driven power arc ignition.

Any one know an outfit that sells small pulleys approx 3" and belts about 10mm wide for fabrication? something that would live inside a primary case?

SEATTLE GS #565240 09/27/14 11:51 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Stock Drive Products should have what you are looking for, here is a link:
www.sdp-si.com

Rob C

SEATTLE GS #565567 09/30/14 12:58 am
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
thanks, I should be able to find what I want here

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com