Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Beach
Beach
West Virginia, United States
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#564186 09/20/14 9:25 pm
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Upholstery question

I bought this '57 GS in the mid 60's, and it is pretty much the way it came from the PO.
I was looking to see what it would take to put a new seat cover on, and it looks like the cover that is on there was put on with nails. There are no prongs on the under side of the seat pan to hook the cover to, and there are no fastener holes that would indicate that the cover was a not the original. It looks like the nails, and there are no slots or indication that they are screws, were put in with some sort of gun, since, at one spot where there was indication that a nail was attempted, but not inserted, there were two overlapping indentations that look like the hammer of a nail gun.
Was this a BSA method of seat cover installation? If not, how were the original covers attached to the metal seat pan?
Thanks for any information.

Jerry Roy

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
The cover is held in place with upholstery clips. They are hidden under the skirt on the side of the cover.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There are some images of an original seat pan, new cover and clips from Leighton on the first page of my GS restoration thread (recovered after being deleted) http://69.176.176.62/BritBike_Salva...n%20-%20BritBike%20Forum%20page%201.html

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks guys,
Obviously, this one is a recover. I would still like to see the tool that shot steel nails into the seat pan. shocked
Went to a swap meet today, and got most of the parts for two magdyno mags. Will check the coils Tues. grin

Jerry Roy

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

These guys seem to have been around a long time doing seats / covers, i have used them quite few times.

http://www.rk-leighton.co.uk/

mIght help.

Mike.

Mike.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com