Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Zimm
Zimm
The land of pleasant living
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

Hi All,

Is just as simple as lining the normally 'dash' mark on a clubmans exhaust cam when used as an inlet cam on a scrambler set-up?

I have noticed that the 'dash' is not quite opposite the 'dot' and guess is where the different valve timing is set for a scrambler.

Just wanted to confirm this as I have never used this set-up before.

Regards

Mike.

Mike.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
The marks are not opposite each other on cams with both marks.

On the 2446 cam the dot and dash are only 16 tooth valleys apart. This is based on starting at the dot and counting clockwise to the dash. If you are using that cam for an inlet just line the dash up to the dash on the driving pinion.

While some cams have only one mark there are others with the two. The 2420 and 2436 cams have both marks but have only 15 valleys between the marks. Strangely I have one 2446 cam with just the dot.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks, I also have one 2446 with just the dot which is a repro (Pearson). My original 2446 has both marks, so i have used this original clubmans exhaust cam on the scrambler inlet.

Can you please help me out with the ignition timing for the scrambler set up? It seems to me that i should be using 36 deg BTDC fully advanced, but not all clear. The engine is a 1960 m DBD with 2 x 2446 cams fuel = 99 octane.

Many thanks

Mike.

Mike.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I would suggest 39 degrees with good fuel.

Bill B...

Boomer
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
On high octane unleaded I'd use less advance - the fuel burns faster than old fuels. I'm running 36 degrees on the same UK fuel.

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com