Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
DC
DC
Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#558313 08/14/14 2:15 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

Hi,

Does anyone have an actual typical figure (as opposed to that from a BSA service sheet) for the rear rim offset on a 59 Goldie? The measurement i am looking for is from the centre line of the rim to the flat face of the crinkly hub - spline side.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Mike.

Mike.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Hi Mike .... I have e-mailed Buchanan in California to get that info., I had it in my records, but, as usual can't find it now !.

James

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi James, thanks.

It seems that my front wheel with a 190 hub, rim is offset by 1/4" to the drive side in the front forks, my rear wheel has the same offset. I thought the wheel rim should be centred between the forks,

This come to light as i picked up some used Dunlop Alloy rims at the auto jumble and while checking at the wheel builder that these could work it was found that my old rear Chrome rim was out.

I have also been informed tonight that just going for the standard offsets may not be wise, or start standard at the front and work out the back offset required.
This comes about because BSA adjusted and trued the rims in the frame upside down, as the frames were not always that true and this was the 'quick fix'!

Regards

mike.

Mike.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Hi Mike ... hot off the press from Buchanan ... edge of spline to rim centre line = 1 15/16" that's "One and fifteen sixteenths inches". Just wanted to clarify that for you.

James.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
My wheels were way out when I got my bike. I didn't have this offset info when I sorted them out. I centered my front wheel in the forks and then aligned the rear with it.
I just took the back wheel off and as best I can measure it is 1.850" from edge of spline to rim centre line so about .080" different from the 1 15/16" above, good enough for me.
Baz

58 goldstar
74 commando
70 Thunderbolt
81 Darmah
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You guys are amazing storehouses of knowledge, helpful knowledge.

I am privileged to associate with you fellas.

Hate is a poison which one consumes hoping for another to die.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by limeyrider
Hi Mike ... hot off the press from Buchanan ... edge of spline to rim centre line = 1 15/16" that's "One and fifteen sixteenths inches". Just wanted to clarify that for you.

James.

Hi James, I am not familiar with 'Buchanan', but thanks.

The wheel builders over here seem to be using 2" for that measurement, Geordie's is different from this, as is mine.

So, not much chance of randomly swapping out a back wheel and having it run true. The back hub position is fixed position of course as it attached to the brake drum and then to the swinging arm, in line with the gearbox sprocket.

All a bit 'hit and miss' from BSA!

Mike.

Mike.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Hi Mike ... Buchanan is the USA equivalent to Central Wheel in the UK.
Hit and miss !...a good description of the British motorcycle industry.

James.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Note that Buchanan do not use standard gauge spoke sizes. But then again, you are lucky to get the correct std gauge set from the uh, er, ahem.... competition. Hit and miss indeed! By the way, have attached a pic link wrt a 1982 KTM 495 magnesium conical hub fitted to the swing arm of a CB32 frame. The sprocket alignment requires no modification with the STD g'box and very little mod is needed to use this hub. I had to knock up a spacer and re-shape the brake lever to clear the swing arm bolster at the back to get this in shape. There are millions of these old KTM hubs on ebay. Getting a suitable sprocket is another matter. KTM conical hub 1

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
KTM Hub 2

Another view of the KTM conical hub on the goldie CB32 frame

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
With the front wheel centered in the fork, using alignment tubes adjust the rear wheel spokes to have the wheel centered Between the tubes. I use 1" square tubes beneath the bike, clamped to the rims. Works good. I like that.

Dave - NV
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
With the front wheel centered in the fork, using alignment tubes adjust the rear wheel spokes to have the wheel centered Between the tubes. I use 1" square tubes beneath the bike, clamped to the rims. Works good. I like that as this gives you 'real world alignment.

Dave - NV

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com