Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Fisherman
Fisherman
Tennessee
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,416
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
What have you 500 guys done to add an external oil filter? Really prefer the spin off style, but am open to anything.

TIA,

Dale

Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There is a bracket to connect to the down tube but haven't got the details at hand at the moment.

[Linked Image]

1971 T100R
1970 T120
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not a great pic, but here's my T100S with the oil filter visible behind the oil tank. It's attached to the rear foot peg bracket.

[Linked Image]

1982 Suzuki GS650G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mine hangs below the gearbox:

[Linked Image]

For just a little more, you can do it yourself!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Dale,

On my T100, I have the Tri-Cor England filter kit that uses the triple element; MAP do something very similar. Mine is mounted slightly lower than the picture so that, with the sidepanel off, I can just undo the frame clamp and tip the container away from the bike to drain the oil and remove the element. :bigt

Hth.

Regards,

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Are these plumbed before the "T" where return oil is partially fed to the rocker box, or after the "T"? I am concerned that there won't be enough oil volume or pressure to adequately feed the rocker boxes.

Thanks.

Regards,
Stubb

Last edited by stubbicatt; 10/06/13 10:21 am.

Hate is a poison which one consumes hoping for another to die.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
They are usually plumbed in before the tee-off to the rockers.

I doubt that a filter has any effect on rocker feed.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
thrasher is right. The T for the rocker boxes is right on the oil tank nipple, so it would be a lot more difficult to put the filter after the rocker oil takeoff. A clean filter has a very low pressure drop, so it shouldn't adversely affect rocker oiling.

For just a little more, you can do it yourself!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Stubb,

Originally Posted by stubbicatt
I am concerned that there won't be enough oil volume or pressure to adequately feed the rocker boxes.

Er ... what "pressure"? confused Under normal circumstances, the scavenge side of the pump - which "feed[s] the rocker boxes" - has a greater capacity than the feed side, so the scavenge pumps a mixture of air and oil. How d'you work out there's any "pressure" in that? The oil pump does impart some energy to the scavenged oil, to push it back to the tank or up the 'T' and pipe to the rockers. But "pressure"? grin

Likewise "volume". Oil is scavenged from the crankcase. Assuming it isn't leaking out between crankcase and tank/rocker box, how's an oil filter going to affect "volume"? confused

Owners have been fitting return-line filters to these old clunkers for at least a couple of decades; d'you think there's some sort of internerd conspiracy to hide any "oil volume or pressure" problems from newbies? laughing

Hth.

Regards,

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Another thing that I think is important is by fitting the filter before the "T",you get clean filtered oil to the rockers as opposed to dirty oil right from the sump. Seems like a "no-brainer" to me. I've been running Map filters on a number of triumphs for many years,one nearly 20 years,and no filter related problems. Jack

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
http://bullfire.net/Triumph/Triumph29/Triumph29.html
Here is a very good example!
It is from Ed, who showed his in this thread.
Regards, Martin

Last edited by Lincoln Green; 10/06/13 2:03 pm.
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Is there a particular commercially available oil filter kit that guys are using that was designed to work well in this application? I appreciate the really cool one off setup, LincolnGreen, but I would not feel competent to fabricate something like that. smile

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Stubb.

PS I ran a search and there was a thread similar to this back in 2010 or so, and one of the contributors suggested that the air pockets in the return oil may wreck the filter elements. I sure don't know.

Last edited by stubbicatt; 10/06/13 4:04 pm.

Hate is a poison which one consumes hoping for another to die.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
s-catt, a lot of people are using the Norton style filter base that accepts a spin-on filter. I don't know about your 500, but I found room for one on my TR6. I am using the Emgo 10-07700 filter. I just wrote up a little blurb on my build thread where I cut open one of these filters after my first 100 miles on the bike. If interested, you can see it HERE. I wanted to see what debris might be in there, and I wanted to see how the filter was constructed. I was happy enough with it to order a box of ten more of the same filter. Air pockets in the return oil will have no more effect on this filter element than say, sunspot activity or a shutdown of the federal government!

Ray

Oops! I see it is Tiger Dale with the Daytona, and s-catt has the T-Bird.

Last edited by TR6Ray; 10/06/13 7:09 pm. Reason: Fix my mistake.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by TR6Ray
s-catt, a lot of people are using the Norton style filter base that accepts a spin-on filter.

I installed a kit from Paul Goff that takes the Norton style filter. I did have to modify the bracket a bit so that the hoses cleared the bolt that holds the foot peg. I've been using the EMGO filters as well, so I was happy to see your evaluation.

-Tony

73 Norton Interstate
72 Triumph T100R
67 BSA 441

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com