Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'll give you $3,500 for it, AS-IS!!!

Excellent. The best looking "survivor" I have seen in years.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 07/10/13 2:21 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
It is indeed a 1966 per the Serial number on the block..DU42547...Pumping oil nicely back into the tank when kicked over, tank drained and cleaned, ignition and wiring look good, Monobloc disassembled and cleaned, will need a kit for it, and a battery...

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
1968 BSA Firebird “Scrambler”
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DPO
It is indeed a 1966 per the Serial number on the block..DU42547...Pumping oil nicely back into the tank when kicked over, tank drained and cleaned, ignition and wiring look good, Monobloc disassembled and cleaned, will need a kit for it, and a battery...
Probably the reason that Dave M thought it was a '67 was because you said at first that it was green, as in the Mist-green and white color scheme of the 1967 bikes. Your '66 color is actually what they called Pacific-blue over white (per David Gaylin's book).

Anyway, it sure looks like a good score on your part. It's one of those bikes that can be cleaned up a bit and made mechanically sound without a full-blown restoration. The patina looks good. A decent original survivor seems to be getting more rare than restored bikes, and best of all you can have some fun with it.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
What Bill said! Oh my! If i bought another it'd be right in that time frame. And for that price? Well, Happy Birthday to you, mate!

Richard

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The really cool thing is that you had the $2500 for when the opportunity presented itself. Nice find and excellent buy !

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Can anyone tell me if it's a 12 or 6 volt system? I pulled the tail light bulb, no voltage indication stamped there. I read somewhere that it is a 12 volt system, installed a fairly good 12 volt battery, and the original 35 amp fuse blew immediately...wiring harness and all wiring still appear in very good condition....Monobloc soaked in carb cleaner, and fitted with new gasket kit and float needle, and ready to go on...(gotta figure out what holds that needle in, and what notch...) Sump plug pulled and revealed no sludge, crystal clean...Need shop Manual, going on e-bay...

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
DPO, Going by your track record,I think you should sell that one to Grand Paul before the FIRE. Jack

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R

It will be 12 volt and late 66 would have used a single 12 volt battery. Had my 66 TR6 since 06. You done good!

Rod

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Don't forget, positive ground

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Don't assume positive ground, it may have been changed!

If the wiring harness looks at all tampered with, you need to trace it out to be sure.

It may just be a short under the tank, like one of the coil leads to the tank itself...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'd also have a peek inside the headlight bucket. The bike has been parked for a while. Someone might have unhooked one or more wires, got sidetracked, and never finished the job. A dangling ammeter lead perhaps?

I know you've read this on here, but it bears repeating. Use a 15A fuse, preferably blade type, in place of that original 35A Brit fuse.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
DPO before you start soldering please make sure that you invest in a new pair of shorts and a new pair of flip flops! This will make it easier for the molten solder to splash on your toes!
LOL. HTH

D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
There's a short Red wire with a fuse holder that goes strait to ground, not a very long wire at all, only about 8 or 9 inches. The black wire goes off to the left toward the switch under the left side panel...Seems strange that the short ground wire has a fuse holder...Assuming it's wired for positive ground...Wiring diagrams on the GABMA site show the fuse on the other wire between the negative battery terminal and the switch....

P
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
P
It sounds like someone has been taking wiring lessons from John Healy.The ground wire is the best place to have the Fuse.

There's a possibility that the zener has burned out and gone short-circuit.You'll find it on an aluminium plate near the battery.Disconnect the zener spade terminal and try again;the short circuit might be gone.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by desco
The sludge trap clean out is with out a doubt the most complicated, expensive and usually the least necessary maintenance item on a Triumph's list of things to do. There must be some easy, cheap way to determine if it needs to be done.

GABMA has an article on this very subject.

Sorry for your loss, DPO. My mom passed in January, so I'm right there with you.

:bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks Richard, my condolences to you as well sir...Got the fuse blowing problem solved pretty quick...(Don't ask)...The wires going to the amp meter were bolted and taped together underneath the headlamp shell, all other wiring like new...suspect ammeter not working..left that like it was...after tinkering with ..different combinations with the key switch, and the other "knob" on the side cover, the headlamp turned on and responded in all modes, as well as the tail light and brake light. Hmmmm...wonder what the plugs will do...Pulled plugs and laid on side of cylinder head, and kicked it over and wah lah...right plug firing bright blue, left dead...Sprayed and gently (Yes, GENTLY, and in Flip Flops!) cleaned both point sets, and now both plugs firing a very healthy blue spark...Carb cleaned meticulously, but slide refuses to retract to closed position....not sure if I can polish that back to life or not...
Drive chain shot, displays "rope like" tendencies, rear brake drum grooved from rivets in brake shoes, not sure if I can have that turned out or not...swing arm good, but speedometer not responding to drill motor test....cable solid...she sits on the center stand as I type, awaiting research on brake drum...any ideas or experiences with the rear brake drum appreciated...No Fires or disasters yet, but have found that the clutch cable boot rubber that fell off leaves a very stubborn and nasty stain on your bare feet and the bottom of the bathtub when stepped on!!

Last edited by DPO; 07/22/13 6:30 pm.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R

Good chance a brake shop could re line the shoes and turn the drum to suit. I'm a little lazy for that and just replaced the parts. Glad you have your problems sorted, look forward to hearing you have her running.

Rod

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Fitted the Monobloc...got the slide to co-operate after working some 300 grit sandpaper. Used a AeroKroil coated dog collar chain and scrubbed the inside of the gas tank, then rinsed thoroughly with alcohol...Original fuel lines required heating to make permeable, so sparked up the propane torch and convinced the fuel lines to see things my way! Petcocks installed and sealed up nicely, no leaks anywhere...battery in, plugs tight, tickle the bloc, 3 kicks she fired... 10 or so kicks and adjusting the idle screw has her purring like a tiger! The new oil is pumping nicely back into the oil tank, and all looks and sounds GREAT!.....The lovely Tina comes out, somewhat shocked that "that motorcycle" is running with the rear wheel off, and sitting on the center stand..."You don't need no stinkin wheels!" Anyway, I only ran her for a few minutes..both cylinders firing nicely, and sounds solid...She now starts on the first kick, and accelerates very smooth...
Going thru some trying times right now, as the lovely Tina is seeking employment, and my previous marriage is pushing me to the limit financially....we'll make it, and this too will pass, and the DEEP will be back on the road soon! Rear brake drum to be turned or replaced, then chain, battery, regulator, oil filter, tires, gaiters, Pazon, should rap it up...

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
10 or so kicks and adjusting the idle screw has her purring like a tiger!

Happy Birthday!

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by DPO
Original fuel lines required heating to make permeable, so sparked up the propane torch and convinced the fuel lines to see things my way!

Heating rubber fuel lines with a propane torch....were you wearing your flip-flops too?!?! laugh

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
P
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
P
Originally Posted by DPO
rear brake drum grooved from rivets in brake shoes, not sure if I can have that turned out or not...
...she sits on the center stand as I type, awaiting research on brake drum...any ideas or experiences with the rear brake drum appreciated.

Leave the grooves in there;it won't make any noticable difference.It will give clearance for the rivets next time,if you use rivetted linings.
If the rest of the drum is eccentric or tapered,just skim that part and leave the grooves.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
WHAT A GREAT FIND! I do not live far from you I am in Macon.

If you see my motorcycle on a trailer call the police it is stolen.

5 more states excluding Hawaii I will have them all on one motorcycle.
[Linked Image]
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Congrats , guy!!

:bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Front drum and shoes still like new (must have been a rear braker)...ordering Gaiters, then back together with the front wheel...it shined up NICELY... all wheel bearings cleaned and serviceable...
She's just like the T120...very strange...The more work I put into the little bike, the more she responds to my efforts, in the capacity of the crazy horn! That horn hasn't worked since day one, but after weeks of shining, checking, cleaning, I went to start her for a friend Saturday night..She started PERFECT on the first kick, and I accidentally pushed the horn button and a really neat BEEP came from the little horn! Her way of telling me she's coming back to life I guess....Strangest thing...haven't TOUCHED that horn circuit!

D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
A little bit of additional funding acquired...ordering more parts tomorrow! Hoping to have her on the road soon!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com