Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (TR6Ray, Bill Bassett, Tom A65LR, Kerry W, Triless, John Harvey), 20 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#481414 03/15/13 2:38 pm
D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I've been without my beloved Ibanez 6 string RG, and Line 6 Spider 120 amp now for a couple of years....Driving to work Tuesday, the radio plays 9 songs IN A ROW that was on my list of faves to play along with...Crazy Train, Turn up the Radio (Autograph), Too much time (Styx), Cool the Engines (Boston), Still of the Night (Whitesnake), Enter Sandman, Separate Ways (Journey), and some Scorps, Still Lovin you.....It was definitely a sign, so I go into Larrys guitar shop here in Gainesville yesterday, and don't see any deals, or Ibanez on the hangers, so out the door I go, then, the back room caught my eye, with 10 to 12 more hanging, then, THERE SHE IS!! A White Ibanez RG 350 with the Floyd Rose, and locking machine head...."How much for the RG?" I asked Larry, who was busy giving a nice lady banjo lessons...."Oh, how 'bout $200?" (This is a $550 guitar)....."SOLD!!!" I told him, and asked him to have it re-strung and set up for me, and I would be back next week to rescue her....Next step is amplification....Line 6 Spider series, then grab your earplugs!!!

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
1968 BSA Firebird “Scrambler”
198? Triumph T-140 “Electro”
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Allan, now that's funny! You enjoyed your guitar playing against all odds! So, I suppose there are no youTube clips of you playing? laughing

Oh well, without ever hearing you play, I know it was better than I could have done!

Ray

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wish I had played guitar in my youth. Somehow, that gives one more credibility as an audio engineer.
Maybe then I wouldn't cringe every time some hairball tells me to, "TURN IT UP!" laughing

Career advice: Never let them see you insert your earplugs.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I love Gibsons and this is my Keeper. It's an ES335s solid body from '81 with dirty fingers PUs ebony fretboard, brass nut fine tune tailpiece and coil tap.
So good Gibson re-introduced this model last year. The first run lasted only two years. I use a Fender 212r amp. The most amp you can get for 300$ and is just the perfect amp.
I re-finished this guitar over 20 years ago using Triumph Olympic Flame nitrocellulonse lacquer and cleared it with Imrom. Looks as good as it did the day I did it.
Bill
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Nice ES335s Bill.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I didn't realize we had guitar freaks on this list. Guess I'm going to have to start hanging with a better crowd <g>. Here's a pic of my guitar "Jake" I built. Named after my late Westie. I still need to inlay the doggie footprints on the fingerboard. I also have a McIntyre Feather pickup I'm installing in it.

[Linked Image]

Been doing some guitar work for many years now. Here's a link to a buddy of mine who builds acoustic flattops. I believe Wayne has made only one electric ( a bass) but over 500 acoustics ain't bad. He's also made some acoustics for some of the best electric players around.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZSb5_5eX3k>

Billy

Bunch of 60s Bonnies (mostly in pieces), a 46/48 T100 project, a 73 Commando Interstate, 58 Cub, 68 Norton P11 project and one barely started slimline/pre unit Triton
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Allan, you're probably being too rough on yourself!

Billy, that video clip is beautiful on so many levels. I like the way he finished up, "I think that'll be all right." Wow, what an understatement. Thanks for posting it up.

Ray

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Well I been on the hunt for a nice acoustic geetar for Cynthia's nephew/godson...
Found a Takamine thinline electric/acoustic G series, (no model listed). Dude says it retailed for 750.00 +/-, looks like he's gonna let me buy it for young Sam for a mere 200.00.
Anyone know anything about these?

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I keep my +50 year old mod'd Les Paul Jr out in the shed when I get a Johnny Thunders urge. No pedals,whammy bar, or effects for me, just tubes! Ok, maybe a little reverb.

[Linked Image]

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

D
DPO Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Funny thing is I don't know an "E" from a "G", or any "notes"...I've learned to tune and just "play along" using just the right effects and volume. I started in 1982 when I was in the Army. A GI down the hall in the barracks heard me "plucking" on a Hondo electric I bought at the base PX. He just laughed and said, "Hey, come down to my room a minute"...I went down, and he had Laney Amps all across one wall, and plenty of guitars...We became good friends, and he taught me a Bahr chord, and the rest is history...We would get up some other GI's, and go down to the Morale Support Center where they had rows of un-opened Fender amplifiers and Guitars, that nobody ever used! We would go into one of the 10 or so soundproof rooms on a Saturday afternoon, and play simple Black Sabbath, Ozzy's "over the mountain", and Crazy train, and I just watched and followed...It's been an on again off again love affair for me, but the urge to strap on a Ibanez RG and plug into a Line 6 amp, and turn up the volume is very therapeutic for me, but very "disturbing" for anyone in a 100 yard radius! I have learned ALOT of variations to the bahr, and would probably learn alot really fast with instruction....

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
1968 BSA Firebird “Scrambler”
198? Triumph T-140 “Electro”
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have a cousin that has played guitar off and on since his teens. In the past couple of years he has gotten into homemade 3,4, and 5 string cigar box guitars. He's made a couple and bought one or two off ebay from a guy in Texas. I love to hear him play. Greg
Cousin Kim and 4 string CBG

72 TR6RV
2004 Thruxton
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Rick,
Cool a Music Man amp. A friend of mine has a small collection of various MM amps. Music Man, Leo Fender's second company....
Well, sorta.
Wiki: Music Man

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Good to see some guitar freaks on the board.

When I'm not at work, goofing with my family or messing up bikes I design and build guitar amps.

Here's one in action;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7mw8Ex0rQ

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
About the only time i played guitar was when one of my buddies tuned the thing so I could play Iron Man with one finger. laugh
I grew up in the percussion section.
Wish I still had my keystone Ludwig Supraphonic. That thing would be worth some cash these days.

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
BTW Tom, those Takamines were pretty darn good in the day. They were really popular when I had the house sound gig at The Sutler back in '95. Good pickups, plug 'n' play.

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Thanks David, going to pick it up today. I'll show it around to some of my guitar playin buds for their appraisal. Young Sam will get the hand-off at Easter. Then all we gotta do is keep the big monkey older brother from appropriatin' the thing.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I used to play a little until I cut a few tendons and a nerve in my left wrist, my ring a pinky finger are a bit numb and don't move independent of each other. Last year I gave away a very nice Yamaha FG 180. I thought it was a shame for such a nice instrument to sit unused for 20 years.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by shel
I used to play a little until I cut a few tendons and a nerve in my left wrist, my ring a pinky finger are a bit numb and don't move independent of each other. Last year I gave away a very nice Yamaha FG 180. I thought it was a shame for such a nice instrument to sit unused for 20 years.

To bad about the hand... Ever think about flipping the guitar, rest ringing it, and make the right the chording hand? Just a thought, obviously perhaps too late now...
Listen Shel, if you have any other guitars to give away, I know a young player who would put 'em to good use, man.

I spoke to his mom, he is really discouraged with his old POS guitar. I think he's gonna flip when he gets his new one! It's going to transform his playing.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Tom, I did flip it and restring it but I never could get comfortable with it.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Right on, Shel. It's usually pretty tough for most people to switch hands if they're not naturally ambidextrous. Good on you for trying tho! :bigt

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com