Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (BrizzoBrit, HughdeMann, C.B.S, gavin eisler, R Moulding), 18 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
The Back Story:
I lived in a small house in the country for over 25 years on a well. Prior to that, I'd either lived with a well, or some place I didn't have to pay for tap water. With our most recent lease renewal, I agreed to take over water utility payments from our landlord. Just opened my online account, and peeped the first bill. The billing period is only nine days, but I gather they read the meter (electronically) once a month? Since the billing data cover only a period of nine days, pretty sure there are no solid numbers for me to chew on yet.

The Question:
How much water do y'all use per month? And does anyone know what is "average" usage?
(Obviously this only applies to those on "city" water)

I'll add: if anyone doesn't want to disclose their water usages out on the WW web, but feel like PM-ing me on it, please do. Believe me, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how much water the two of us use.

Thanks guys!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

British motorcycles on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
If this is a lease renewal than your water company should have a record of your previous usage. Peoples consumption varies greatly on all utilities.

I hit a high on water during the summer of $120 a month, that's the lawn. I let the grass go dormant during our mild winters so that cuts it down to $30 or so for bathing and laundry.

Call your provider, believe me, they know how fast you've been spinning that meter.

Don in Nipomo

Born To Run
Born To Run
Hi Tom,

Family of four here, and we average about 200.00 - 250.00 a quarter...bit more in the summer, (watering plants, wash cars, etc....) If I'm reading the latest bill right, we used ~17,000 gals. over 89 days.... Comes out to about $5.50 per 1,000 gal. Seems just last week my 14 year-old was in the shower for what seemed like half an hour! shocked Obviously, we are feeble in our attempt to conserve water here....it's all I can do to get people around here to turn off the lights when they leave the room! mad

We pay the bill directly to the County Commissioners. Kicker is, "Sewer Fee" is more than the water....2/5ths goes to the water charge and 3/5ths goes to sewer charge. We also endure a 15.00 per billing cycle Bay (Chesapeake) Restoration Fee....

Afterthought: Maybe your landlord could share the past year's water statements with you so you can see your recent usage?

Steve

Last edited by JubeePrince; 03/14/13 4:05 am. Reason: Afterthought

'77 T140J
'82 T140ES TMA Royal
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by JubeePrince
....it's all I can do to get people around here to turn off the lights when they leave the room! mad

We pay the bill directly to the County Commissioners. Kicker is, "Sewer Fee" is more than the water....2/5ths goes to the water charge and 3/5ths goes to sewer charge. We also endure a 15.00 per billing cycle Bay (Chesapeake) Restoration Fee....

The family is down to two, now. Our bill runs around $130 per quarter for 12,000 gallons. Like Steve said, the sewer bill is the larger part (1/3 of the bill to buy the water, 2/3 to dispose of it).

If I see hot water running from a faucet, and my wife has stepped away for a second, we usually have some words about it. I remind her that we are buying the water, then buying the gas to heat it up, then paying the sewage bill to let it go down the drain -- all for no good purpose. She usually comes back with, "Yeah, sort of like buying your motorcycle parts, isn't it!" frown

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by TR6Ray

If I see hot water running from a faucet, and my wife has stepped away for a second, we usually have some words about it. I remind her that we are buying the water, then buying the gas to heat it up, then paying the sewage bill to let it go down the drain -- all for no good purpose. She usually comes back with, "Yeah, sort of like buying your motorcycle parts, isn't it!" frown

Touché!! laughing

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
'82 T140ES TMA Royal

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Among other things in my career, I spent a number of years running the billing office for a small water and sewer utility (6,000 customers). Our average water usage was about 15,000 gallons per quarter. My family's usage with 3-4 people is right about that as well.

Biggest leak you are likely to not notice right away is a bad flapper valve in a toilet. I've seen accounts hit 100K in usage due to this problem. Most utilities will only offer sympathy in these cases. The water was delivered and used, even though it was wasted it still required treatment.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
About 5 months ago I got a call from a local neighbor who had been watching my house up in east Texas while I was working 4-5 hours south of there. The city had cut off my water because they had noticed a large consumption upon reading the meter. My usual usage had been running around 2000 gallons ($35-45). Seems I had used around 130,000 gallons that month. Well when I got back to the house I found a broken pipe under the house. Not pretty. About $ 450 I had to pay. Bad news for someone who conserves as much as they can.

Below are a couple pics of a solar shower I quickly built at the construction site where I'm working. We had no water heater and I do like to bathe so...This is pretty basic. The old hot water heater is stripped of it's outer cover and insulation and painted black. Cost = about $ 20. You can also insulate the tank and cover it with Lexan (greenhouse plastic that holds in heat)This thing'll burn you in hot weather. And so far I've not got any bills from the sun. It can also be used as a pre-heater for your regular hot water heater so that you can only have the cost of heating warm water rather than cold.

Billy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bunch of 60s Bonnies (mostly in pieces), a 46/48 T100 project, a 73 Commando Interstate, 58 Cub, 68 Norton P11 project and one barely started slimline/pre unit Triton
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Washing motorcycles will make you an above average user:

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-home-percapita.html

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Billy, that is some good Texas ingenuity for sure, but on any construction site I've been on (quite a few) putting yourself into that shower stall would bring you to grief for sure. The pranksters would have a field day.

Sciadventurer, I've always believed that those cursed water saving shower heads (in hotels everywhere) are actually the cause of a great deal of wasted water. When it takes five times as long to get shampoo out of your hair as it would take with a normal shower head, where is the savings? Same for automated faucets. I remember a shop sink that had electric eye sensors. When you walked up to the sink, the water turned on. By the time you had soap lathered onto your hands and wanted the water on, the timer kicked, and the water shut off. Then you had to block the sensor to get it back on, and could only rinse one hand at a time. A creative tinner made up some stainless steel bits in an "L" shape so you could lay them over the sensor when you were ready to turn on the water. Worked great, but the boss pitched them as interfering with the water saving concept!

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
3 people = 2 thou gallons per month (winter)

I think you would be hard pressed to get any lower usaged than that.

Also note, where we live the sewer fee is calc'd based on Jan/Feb usaged.

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by TR6Ray

In our house, the water heater is on the far side of the house from the kitchen and bathroom. it literally takes at least a minute to get hot water pumped that far. Sure would love to put in small on-demand water heaters for each sink upstairs, and one bigger one downstairs for the bathroom and washer, and slop sink.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Just got the bill...

$26.89 for 6 ccfs. 1 ccf = 748gal. x 6 = 4488 gal for a 28 day billing period.
Three adults, if you can call a 20 year old an "adult", showers, laundry, toilet, dishwashing.

I've got a tankless Bosch in the garage 125k btu. Take shower longtime...stays hot.
I like the passive preheaters Billy posted, with a hot water recirc pump and mixing valve you could put out some very hot water.
Maybe enough to reasonably heat a slab.

I see that in the peak of my "grow" season I average more that 35 ccfs. Ouch... and to think I removed half the zones on this acre when I moved in.

Don in Nipomo

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I have two teenage daughters that think it's perfectly acceptable to throw one pair of jeans in the washer with the water level set to jumbo load.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Life member
Life member
In Ontario we were on a cistern with water delivered by tanker (the well on the property was sulphurous), 3000 (imperial) gallons about every month. I think that is about 3200 short Yankee fluid units. Last load we bought cost us CDN$90.00. As we had our own septic system, no sewer charge. Family size was a variable, as we fostered, so may have had no kids or 3 between 7 days and 5 years in age.
I cannot tell what our current usage is, the tank on GARNET is 50 (imp) gallons, but we do not wait until pumping air to the sink before filling up. However there is no charge, neither for sewage, they are included in our license fee.

Life member
Life member
Further ref hot water, in Garnet, Ontario, hot water came from a lrge tank in the basement, at first fired by furnace oil (diesel) then propane. Lots of pipe twixt tank and tap, and even with pipe insulation it was a while before warm water arrived.
On board we have 3 ways to heat water, and all require planning. Easiest is to put a kettle on the propane stove. next easiest is to turn on the "central heating, this is a diesel fired unit like the trucks/lorries use, feeds our "radiators", and through a heat exchanger warms up the hot water ciruit for the sinks and shower. Third option is to run the diesel for a while, which uses the same heat exchanger to get hot tap water.
Last summer we realised that it was easier and cheaper to shower at the end of a days run, not only hot water to spare, but the batteries that run the pumps were well charged!
We have increased the battery bank over the winter, went from 2 of 110Ah units to 4, but are still tied up in a marina on a land line for mains electric, so we do not know what power we will have to play with once underway.
Darned isobars are playing havoc with my head, until the weather stabilises a bit I can't move anyway!

Mike, home is where we moor it.
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Well our bill says we used 800 gallons for the billing cycle
( 1 month?) but the rate appeared to have only been for 8 days?
With the 30.00 activation (new account) fee, it was 47.00 +/-...
So I'm a little corn fused. But thanks for everyone's input. I'll post an update
at next billing.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I'm hooked on this boat thing you ended up on Mike.
Way cool! Plenty of room on deck for a sidecar is there?

Don in Nipomo

Life member
Life member
Originally Posted by D.Bachtel
I'm hooked on this boat thing you ended up on Mike.
Way cool! Plenty of room on deck for a sidecar is there?

Don in Nipomo

Don, you are causing a thread high jack. My home is only 6' 10" wide, and does not have a large flat deck to put a rig on. However, if we had bought a "tug" style boat, which do have a flat deck area ahead of the cabin, it is possibe. I have seen some non-tugs with small bikes on board, and several with mobility scooters on.
Now back to the regular discussion.
Mike

Mike, home is where we moor it.
Life member
Life member
Hey Mike...saw you posted and thought you were about to inform us of your water bill on the wet lanes! I predict Tom won't mind a hijack...

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hi Guys,

Wow! One more reason to live in the sticks! I have gravity-fed spring water (no charge), septic tank (no charge), and I make about four or five dump runs a year, at $10.00 each.

On the other hand, when the water line needs work, the 12 houses on our little system have a potluck and figure out how much it will cost, and each chip in. It works well for country folk.

I had no idea water was so expensive.....

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Barb

You have no idea, Barb. we have a fee on our water bill to cover the rain water that may run off our property and end up in the storm drains. I'm not sure how they calculate that.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by Barb

Hi Barb,

Wait until you hear someone from the desert south-west chime in!! shocked

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
'82 T140ES TMA Royal

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Tom.
How you doing old boy?
Over here in Blighty, we get inundated with the tv adverts showing the third world and their plight and say that for supplying water to them is only £2 per month, so I'm just thinking, maybe I should try that, Its cheaper than my water bill of some £165 a half year.

TTJohn

Life member
Life member
With you there, Barb. Our Hagersville place was not as way out as you seem to be, but the only services down our gravel road were phone & electrickery, plus garbage and recycling trucks once a week. We had a septic system, and 2 days after moving in we found we had a problem with the pipe from the settling tank to the bed. Had to break up a perfectly good concrete slab walkway to replace it!

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
four or five dump runs a year

Is a dump run what I think it is? I need a run every day! sick

Ger B

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com