Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Zimm
Zimm
The land of pleasant living
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#458992 10/16/12 10:46 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi All,

Is there a particular sealant that works well on Goldie crank cases?

My first choice is Wellseal or maybe use Wurth Grey Silicon, which i have used on many other projects with great success.

Before i put the crank cases together i am going to put some sealant on 2 of the studs for the sump plate. These are the ones that have their holes drilled / tapped alway through the casing and apparently oil can can find it's way down their threads.

I am also going Loctite and seal in the 4 head studs (new Pearson s/s ones).

Any other tips before the cases go together will be welcome.

Regards

Mike.

Mike.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've had good results using "Yamabond". It's been a while but I think Yamaha dealers still carry it.

Coming to terms with your delusions, is the first step to sanity
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
all the japanese sealants work great for a non gasketed surface(or three bond) just make sure you use the non hardening agent. loctite has a red sealer(518?) which works good also but i have been using japanese sealants since the early 70's and have a hard time changing now....
[email protected]
www.joesvcycle.net

Last edited by joe a.; 10/16/12 3:28 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Loctite 510 works well for me.
Silicone sealant like Permatex is ok. too, but make sure to apply any silcone sealant in a very thin layer.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Take your pick.. BSA cases are pretty good and do not easily leak... so what ever you use will likely do a nice job. FYI, the SRM guys use clear silicone adhesive, kind of like aquarium sealant... it is almost invisible should you get a small dab where you do not want it..

OK, here is a tip with the Pearson crank... you want to make sure the long bolts are in the "up" position when you put the cases all together.. The Pearson crank is a bit wider than stock, and the bottom of the long bolts will bind up on the crank if you are not careful.. and then those nice new long bolts will be slightly bent and want to bind after that.

I took some round aluminum and machined a groove..then use a zip tie to keep the spacers from falling off...

Have fun..!

Ron

Last edited by Ron - in California; 10/17/12 2:07 am.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com