Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Spitfire Ken
Spitfire Ken
Illinois
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tridentman, Magnetoman, DMadigan, Jon W. Whitley, HayMike, Madmotorman), 17 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,682
Posts782,987
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
If you've seen all the pictures of our Nova Scotia/Quebec trip that you want to see on the original thread (which had gotten long) here are some more ...

Once in Lunenberg … as always, first things first – Breakfast! They know how to do it here, you can see traces of a Full English in some of them, along with smoked salmon, lobster Benedict, and other treats!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then up and about for a mooch around this pretty place. With my ankle “hors de combat”, I found me a place on the docks and chatted with various people that walked up. The guy standing in this pic talked for about a half hour – he was a VERY “liberal” environmentalist, with all kinds of ideas about the government taking everything over, limiting the number of people there would be, going back to the land, etc. Interesting to listen to, and I’m sure he told people he found this American who agreed with him on everything. I didn’t agree with much of it; I just listened, but that’s how you do, isn’t it? I didn’t see what he drove off in ….

[Linked Image]

Sidewalk artist painting something very artistic, I’m sure …

[Linked Image]

Lots of colorful buildings and nice little shops –

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Starting today, customers will be requred to unload the semis at the back of Wal-Mart, in addition to their self-checkout duties.
British motorcycles on eBay
Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Lots of working fishing and pilot boats here, and lots of painting to be done:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You could go down into some of them; they certainly have more room for people than your average USN man-of-war ship:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then after a couple relaxing days here, it was time for the off, to Halifax and points north to the Cabot Trail …

[Linked Image]

Starting today, customers will be requred to unload the semis at the back of Wal-Mart, in addition to their self-checkout duties.
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
While Lannis was laying low with his foot, Miss C and I took a field trip out to the small village of Lahave- south of Lunenburg.
I'd heard about a small bakery there from some guys on the BMW MOA site- and we HAD to check it out, as these small local points of interest appeal to us! Miss C wanted to do some walking, and we found a nice little private park and campground, where we paid a couple bucks, to do a SWEET little 40 minute hike along the coast! The day was truly fabulous, with more sunshine and wispy little clouds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lesya Ukrainka:
“He who has not lived through a storm/does not know the price of strength.”

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
The seascape features these local caves, known (somehow) as "Ovens". This trail took us along the shore where we saw some of these caves and actually went down into a couple... It was COOL, quite literally! laughing

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lesya Ukrainka:

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
After replenishing our souls on the hike, we jumped back on the bike for the quest to find the bakery. We'd met a local guy who'd told us we HAD to ride BOTH sides of the Lahave River, but when we rolled in, we found there to be a cable ferry! Well, who can resist that? Not us, so we jumped aboard for the VERY smooth, & fast crossing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once ashore, we parked the bike for lunch and a mooch about the small village of Lahave. I mean LAhave PROPER- forget North, West, South, & East Lahave, Lahave Moors, Little Lahave, and all the other ones we passed thru or noticed on the map! Sheesh, as nice as those folks were up there, they aren't a real imaginative bunch.... !

The bakery was GREAT!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lesya Ukrainka:

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Just awesome with a real mellow, old-school vibe to it.

[Linked Image]

We lingered over lunch and coffee.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and OF COURSE we HAD to have dessert, right? It truly would have been a crime not to!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We were free to look around and boy it was muy fab!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/04/12 3:55 pm.

Lesya Ukrainka:

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider

[Linked Image]

That's a great sign. That's going to have to go on the list of inspirational sayings along with

1. "We gonna bust a move or kick it?"
2. "Let's get crackin'!"
3. "Everybody's Goal is to Mine More Coal"
4. "Little Panda - Taste the Best!"
5. "Mean, Hot, and Spicy!"

My, how travel broadens one!

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis

[Linked Image]

That's a great sign. That's going to have to go on the list of inspirational sayings along with

2. "Let's get crackin'!"

Lannis

I was just going to post and say how much I liked that sign. I would love to find one for the garage!

75 Norton Commando Mark II
75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
So yeah, Lahave Bakery was a highlight fer sure man!
Her are some more pix of the day out, in Lahave, up along the Lahave River and back to Lunenburg.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Cynthia had seen some bags fro sale in town- cool bags- made from previously used, and retired, sails from actual boats. we passed the shop cpming back into Lunenburg, and she wanted to stop. I was totally game, so we rolled in, to find this nice lady, working away- cutting (by hand) pattern bits for the bags. She was sitting in a PILE of old sails!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's the Windbag Company!

[Linked Image]

Started by a FIFTH generation sailmaker, a woman who just couldn't bear to see the old sails go into the landfill- so she dreamed up the fantastic idea of making bags of every shape, size, and description out of the colorful discarded sails! VERY cool, and hip. They're even pretty swank- in a down-low kinda way.

Back to Lunenburg then, for our last night in town. We wanted to have some good food here, and there is at least one special restaurant- all foo-foo-ey and French- and apparently VERY expensive. Turns out, there is a second place in Lunenburg owned, staffed, and operated by the same chef! much more laid back, we opted for supper at the Salt Shaker Deli. It was fantastic. I had the scallops, caught fresh by a fishery a few doors down...

[Linked Image]

BAM! also, some mussels, from PEI- shown in apres-moi mode:

[Linked Image]

Lannis had an up-scale Lobster Roll:

[Linked Image]

and we all had fun

[Linked Image]

while we enjoyed our food and sipped more of the amazing Propellar Brewery's bitter Ale!

Lesya Ukrainka:

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by dirtymartini

[Linked Image]

These dudes have got 'em in any price from $20 to $300 ...

http://www.art.com/gallery/id--b252...+Ahead&WT.oss=Keep+Calm+and+Carry+On

Lannis

2. "Let's get crackin'!"

Lannis

I was just going to post and say how much I liked that sign. I would love to find one for the garage!

These dudes have got them for sale, any price you like from $20 to $300 -

http://www.art.com/gallery/id--b252...+Ahead&WT.oss=Keep+Calm+and+Carry+On

Lannis

Last edited by Lannis; 07/04/12 4:18 pm.

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Here's a few last shots from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia- a Unesco World Heritage Site:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and one last shot for Paul:

[Linked Image]

from the fantastic Lahave Bakery!

[Linked Image]

Lesya Ukrainka:

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Next up:
Halifax for a quick lunch, then a hard ride up to Cape Breton Island and The Cabot trail!

Lesya Ukrainka:

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Terrific trip Lannis and Tom. It brings back a lot of memories as I did the same trip many years ago. I took it two steps further, took the ferry to Newfoundland then on into Labrador. Riding through small fishing villages in Newfoundland is something I'll never forget.

Also, what's the deal with passports? Any delays at the border?

Thanks for the pics.

Art

1973 Norton Commando
1991 FLHTC W/SIDECAR
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
[Linked Image]

Man, I love those knees! It looks just like the deck stanchion on an old wooden ship.

Josh
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by JD
[Linked Image]

Man, I love those knees! It looks just like the deck stanchion on an old wooden ship.

Yeah right? Talk about heavy duty! I loved it too, hence the piccie... I've done 30+ years as a carpenter- and have built timber frames, worked on old barns, etc.- so this stuff is auto-matic for me.

Lesya Ukrainka:

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by bmwr90s
Terrific trip Lannis and Tom. It brings back a lot of memories as I did the same trip many years ago. I took it two steps further, took the ferry to Newfoundland then on into Labrador. Riding through small fishing villages in Newfoundland is something I'll never forget.

Also, what's the deal with passports? Any delays at the border?

Thanks for the pics.

Art

Art,
I am now resolved to go back up there, as we barely got the "tip" of the iceberg of all that. More time on Nova Scotia is a must, and riding the Gaspe Peninsula, and Newfoundland, and Labrador, and.... and.... and.... aw heck with it all, that's IT! I might as well just move up there!

To address your question about the border, it was hassle free. Passport is a must, but going into Canada, we got a few questions, but the guy never even asked us to remove our helmets or get off the bike- total cake walk. Coming back thru over in New York State, we were asked to remove our helmets but it, too, was gravy. The Canadian guy asked if we had any weapons including mace or pepper spray. I replied that I was toting a Leatherman multi-tool and a small pocket knife. He didn't even blink. Lannis & Fay's run-down took a few minutes longer then we, and I think he surmised it had to do with his CCW permit?

All in all, I grade the border hop as easy-peasy.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/05/12 4:41 pm.

Lesya Ukrainka:

Life member
Life member
Last time my wife and I went thru US customs coming back from Canada, I was asked who owned my car!? And how it was that I had friends in Toronto!? I liked it when you could slow down and wave a US license.
Bill

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Life member
Life member
Originally Posted by dirtymartini

[Linked Image]

Lannis

http://www.keepcalmandcarryon.com/categories/posters-cards-paper.html

BeezaBryan

He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination, It's the glory of the ride (Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nice pictures fellers.
You show us a very pleasant part of your country.

When American relatives of ours visit us in Holland, they allways complain there is so much history here and so little history in the US.
Next time I'll show the these pictures (except the food ones), and I'll advise them to start riding motorcycles.

Thanks for sharing. :bigt

Ger B

Lannis Offline OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Ger
Nice pictures fellers.
You show us a very pleasant part of your country.

When American relatives of ours visit us in Holland, they allways complain there is so much history here and so little history in the US.
Next time I'll show the these pictures (except the food ones), and I'll advise them to start riding motorcycles.

Thanks for sharing. :bigt

It's true that most Europeans and Brits who visit the USA claim that there is very little history there.

That's because 90% of them visit New York, Disneyworld, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas, and never see anything else ..... Tell 'em they need to get on bikes and come see the REAL USA ... as in, where we live! beerchug

On passports, the Customs guy has got the whole enchilada on you as soon as he sees your license tag. He punched in my license tag, and was instantly asking me all sorts of questions to which I knew he knew all the answers already. For example, he asked me if I had a concealed carry permit, to which I answered "yes". He kept looking at me, and I added "but it expired last year", at which time he nodded and asked me if I had any firearms on me. I said "I'm traveling to CANADA ... the answer is no ....". He then asked for our passports and made sure we weren't coming into Canada to work ... they hate that. He already knew where I worked in the USA. Friendly enough but a little intimidating to know what The Matrix already has on you ....

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
most Europeans and Brits who visit the USA claim that there is very little history there

Don't read me wrong here, Lannis.
It's those cousins and nephews of mine, from over that there USA side, who complained.

I'll teach'm. :bigt

Ger B

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo

On passports, the Customs guy has got the whole enchilada on you as soon as he sees your license tag. He punched in my license tag, and was instantly asking me all sorts of questions to which I knew he knew all the answers already. For example, he asked me if I had a concealed carry permit, to which I answered "yes". He kept looking at me, and I added "but it expired last year", at which time he nodded and asked me if I had any firearms on me. I said "I'm traveling to CANADA ... the answer is no ....". He then asked for our passports and made sure we weren't coming into Canada to work ... they hate that. He already knew where I worked in the USA. Friendly enough but a little intimidating to know what The Matrix already has on you ....

Lannis

Funny, I don't recall the guy we dealt with even asking for our tag ID number... The guy we got was serious but also pretty laid back with us. A few pertinent questions (like maybe 5,6 questions?) and we were out.

As for what The Matrix "has" on you... it's exhaustive, I am quite certain. Life history, any and all criminal activity, credit score, current and past employment... height, weight, eye and hair color, shoe size... I figure "they" just know it all. Perhaps more than even we know about ourselves! laughing

If you have a driver's license, a credit or debit card, and a cell phone, then you are out there- not ONLY for The Authorities, but also anyone else smart enough to look in the right places.

Lesya Ukrainka:

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
OK! Enough chit-chat. Back to the main subject: The next episode covers the distance from Lunenburg up to the Cabot Trail.

The Pre- "ramble":

Funny (ha f*ckin ha), but looking at our timetable, you know- comparing distances from point to point, etc., our original "plan" got amended, again & again, and perhaps then even again some more! In fact, the entire holiday almost immediately took on its own life as we went! It morphed, shifted and changed- you know- like a leftover dish in your fridge that you forgot. Yep, this trip wasn't QUITE "science project" material- but it WAS a good lesson in both Geography and Logistics!
We also began to build a bit of loose database as we compiled stats on each day's ride, coming to understand what we were and weren't capable of accomplishing on our daily ventures, riding from place to place.

We had originally thought we'd go as far West as Niagra Falls, but almost immediately realised that was NOT gonna happen. Then, we hoped to maybe stick more to the coast of Nova Scotia as we moved North past Halifax up onto Cape Breton Island. Remember, we'd already had a taste of Canada's "BIG" (such as they are) roadways, as we wound from the Border Crossing over to Saint John. Figuring out that it was going to be crazy not to take advantage of easy-peasy, quick-moving larger roads up there, we chose to dead-head it out of Lunenburg and hot-foot it over to Halifax. Once there, we would stop downtown for lunch. After lunch, we'd then pop back out onto the bigger roadways and ride like demons were chasing us up to the Island and towards the Cabot Trail. This became a pretty big day all totaled, and we finally arrived at a small B&B on the Cabot Trail, at about 7:30 PM- after a fairly early start out of Lunenburg! The story continues from that juncture (it aint' over til it's O-V-E-R)- but let's get on to some pix of the ride that day....

Halifax, Nova Scotia's Capitol City, was kinda awesome! We made our way easily into the city, riding thru the outskirts, and down to the waterfront. We quickly parked the bikes, and popped right into a tourist information station there! Those nice folks gave us maps and directions, and told us of a nice restaurant darn near right across the street from where we had parked! The joint was fairly jumpin, as lunch hour ensued and the city came out of the offices to seek food. Thankfully, we were slightly ahead of The Curve on our lunch order!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The fish & Chips place we did NOT eat at:

[Linked Image]

The place we DID eat at:

[Linked Image]

Fish Chowder and a Lobster Roll, and oyster shells...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NO, I did NOT have any of THIS with lunch

[Linked Image]

but man- if I could have somehow hijacked that truck.....

Stay tuned kids! There's more to come on this day's adventure.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/05/12 11:06 pm.

Lesya Ukrainka:

JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
Beautiful ships Tom. Thank you Tom and Lannis for the stories and photos! Anyone besides Ger figured out what the flag signals on the Theresa E. Connor say?

Josh
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by JD
Beautiful ships Tom. Thank you Tom and Lannis for the stories and photos! Anyone besides Ger figured out what the flag signals on the Theresa E. Connor say?

I was tipped to their meaning by a museum employee, who was kind of closing things down as I snapped that pic. I'll wait to see if anyone knows, before giving it up (HINT: I DID post "another" picture of this boat in Wade's thread, "Tom And Lannis On the Road"- where I more or less gave it away).

Lesya Ukrainka:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com