Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/08/23 12:00 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 90
DavidP 87
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 32
Lannis 26
DavidP 26
Newest Members
Igloo, patrickblue, j-bud, Uneasy Rider, Mally
12,395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,566
Posts784,685
Members12,395
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I'm working on getting my '65 Thunderbolt Rocket on the road and want to drain and fill the primary. In the manual it says locate the red screws on the bottom of the primary but the red is long gone I'm afraid. Can someone tell me which ones are which?

Another question? I tried filling the primary with ATF with what I thought was the level screw removed....when I started draining the gearbox I was getting ATF draining out?

75 Norton Commando Mark II
75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
BSA brilliantly used one of the cover bolts as the level screw and another for the drain. I think it is the one vertically aligned with the rear edge of the crank timing inspection plate. Early engines did ont have the inspection plate either so imagine a line about 3" aft of the crank. The screw should have a fibre washer to keep most of the primary oil in. Best to measure the oil in a cup and pour it in.
Sounds as though you pulled the gearbox drain, toward the middle of the engine. The gearbox and primary are not connected oil wise. Did you put ATF in the gearbox? The gearbox filler is on the right side top near the inner case joint.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi,
The pic below is a '68 but I think yours is the same. The red screw on the left is level and the one on the right is drain. I use F type ATF for some forgotten reason.

[Linked Image]

Cheers~Bob

A65LB
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thank, the pic helped. I kind of thought it was those two for some reason. I did find on small dot of red paint on what you showed as the level screw.

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DMadigan
BSA brilliantly used one of the cover bolts as the level screw and another for the drain. I think it is the one vertically aligned with the rear edge of the crank timing inspection plate. Early engines did ont have the inspection plate either so imagine a line about 3" aft of the crank. The screw should have a fibre washer to keep most of the primary oil in. Best to measure the oil in a cup and pour it in.
Sounds as though you pulled the gearbox drain, toward the middle of the engine. The gearbox and primary are not connected oil wise. Did you put ATF in the gearbox? The gearbox filler is on the right side top near the inner case joint.

I was draining the gearbox at the same time. Maybe some PO put ATF in there? Also when I drained the primary I got at least a quart of oil out.
What is the correct amount? I imagine it can't be much....

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The primary drive should have quarter of a pint of SAE 20 oil.
Having said that, if you remove the level plug, you should get it right anyway.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Henry Greg
The primary drive should have quarter of a pint of SAE 20 oil.
Having said that, if you remove the level plug, you should get it right anyway.

Thanks. I took a guess at 5oz. I just took it up the road a few miles and back. It sounds like I have a litlle bit of spark knock under hard acceleration, but the excess oil leaks are gone.

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com