Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Richard Phillips
Richard Phillips
San Luis Obispo, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 88
Rohan 76
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 12
Newest Members
Looping, Teager, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R
11,841 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (L.A.B., Keith Miller), 26 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 34 1 2 32 33 34
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
>>>...Summarising, a large number of 1967 machines were returned to the factory where the engines were rebuilt at the Redditch plant using later crankcases. Truck-loads of 1967 cases were sent to a foundry as feed stock, then of course a few months later they had to tool up to manufacture 1967 crankcases for spares stock. The entire exercise apparently cost a fortune....<<<

Haven't read the book yet.

Do you mean tool up for 1968 crankcases (rather than 1967)?

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
BSA on eBay
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I guess that would explain the difference between 67 Y models that look like 67s (minor rework) versus those that are entirely 68s except for the VIN.

Seems that, if you go through the trouble of tearing down an unused '67 only to rework it into '68 cases, why keep the serial number??? Was the 67-in-68-cases motor going back in the 67 frame? Seems an awful lot of work just to offer a transmission dipstick and new alternator mount.

Last edited by MarcB; 12/21/20 10:05 pm.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Gary E
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
>>>...Summarising, a large number of 1967 machines were returned to the factory where the engines were rebuilt at the Redditch plant using later crankcases. Truck-loads of 1967 cases were sent to a foundry as feed stock, then of course a few months later they had to tool up to manufacture 1967 crankcases for spares stock. The entire exercise apparently cost a fortune....<<<

Haven't read the book yet.
I think you'll be simultaneously delighted and frustrated. Peter has lots of new (to me) material, but there is only so much that can fit in a book, so there isn't as much detail as I would have liked.
Unfortunately, he has suspended international shipments for the moment due to problems arising from shipment delays out of his control.

Originally Posted by Gary E
Do you mean tool up for 1968 crankcases (rather than 1967)?
I gathered it was the 1967 cases, because they'd just scrapped truckloads of them without thinking to retain some in stock. Possibly they couldn't do that because they were already stamped. The book quotes the rebuilds as using UNF/UNC cases, which I think were introduced fir 1969.

You, Rich and Kevin did most of the research here, so I'll see if I can get you and Peter in touch. He seems a really decent bloke, so may well add an addendum on the '-Y' and 'Y' machines.

1 member likes this: Gary E
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by MarcB
I guess that would explain the difference between 67 Y models that look like 67s (minor rework) versus those that are entirely 68s except for the VIN.
I think the 1967s that look like 1967s are the '-Y' machines with minor tweaks to the points cam and oiling.

Seems that, if you go through the trouble of tearing down an unused '67 only to rework it into '68 cases, why keep the serial number???
I doubt we'll ever know. The higher-ups who made the decisions are no longer with us.

Was the 67-in-68-cases motor going back in the 67 frame? Seems an awful lot of work just to offer a transmission dipstick and new alternator mount.
The book doesn't say, but he thought it was just a matter of swapping the cases and a few other parts. That certainly wouldn't apply to the 1970 'Y' bikes, since there isn't a lot in common between a 1967 and 1970.
Yes, definitely a lot of work for not much benefit. Perhaps the US dealers couldn't shift left-over 1967 models. One possibility suggested in the book was corrosion damage which led to extensive re-work.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
A big problem with this topic is that if the questions are ever definitely answered..........I'll not be able to remember the answers for very long.

1 member likes this: Gary E
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Some of the questions have been definitively answered (e.g what the '-Y' means), but there is a lot of material to go through.
Perhaps somebody can while away their CoVid-19 lockdown time by adding a sticky thread with a summary of what has been discovered over the years.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Bump

1967 BSA Wasp
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ah now I have a reason to read this whole thread through again... Got me my very own -Y bike... Matching numbers 68 Spitfire... Mostly not there but ... I already have all the missing parts... Or at least most of them as far as I can tell...

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
OK Maybe not 68.... A65SA 1339x-Y on the motor and same number on the frame minus the -Y

Although if my glance back here tells me what I think its telling me .. It was built as a 67 and rebuilt as a 68... Making it a 68.... Correct?

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Wade, there are '67 Y models that were upgraded with newer parts (ZD mount, oil pipes, etc). I don't think these ever shipped without those parts installed. The rest of the bike (forks, engine cases) are '67.

Then there are the '68 hybrid Ys. These are 100% '68 in appearance but have a '67 VIN. The big giveaway is the transmission fill on top that moved from the right side case to the timing cover. The alternator stator mount was also changed from a bracket over studs in '67 to a mount that's cast into the left-side case. It's not likely that these were "reworked" either, as it wouldn't make sense for BSA to take a '67 bike and strip it down to the cases just to turn it around as a '68.

Hopefully this helps point you in the right direction. Based on your pic, looks like you could essentially build that into anything you want.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hopefully this helps point you in the right direction. Based on your pic, looks like you could essentially build that into anything you want.

I like to make things as correct as possible but you might be right in this case. With the exception of alloy rims I have a freshly painted tank and side covers and a seat and exhaust . Already put a front end on it with new head bearings and a TLS front brake. Ive got carbs ... Supposedly the bike was a running bobber when it came into the shop but the front end was wrong and so was everything else that eventually got robbed from it ... So if the motor is good as they say it should be then once I hang all of my parts on it then Im golden.... Fingers crossed...

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
As we previously conversed, the numbers indicate it is a '67 Spitfire.

I'm just posting this on the thread so no one gets confused.

1967 BSA Wasp
Page 34 of 34 1 2 32 33 34

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com