Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
One more and I'll promise to stop for a while. smirk...snip...

Well smirk I guess if I just add to this one...I'm really NOT starting a new one...so I'm not really breaking my promise. crazy ....right???

First off....Mr Mike..I'll never know if I had the tank clean of all it's release agent. It was NOS...I thought I cleaned it well enough...but how do you know for sure. It lasted 4 years..and most of that was with gas sitting in it unused. I still like the Hirsch product..just figured I'd give the Caswell stuff a try. On the centerstand....you know the drill, send me your snail mail addy (so I don't have to look it up) and I'll send ya a centerstand..it's that easy.

Now...on with more of the tale. I only had to work a half day today and had the bike ready to go when I got off at noon....first order of business was to go through Dillsboro to see about the event T140V-Rich had mentioned

[Linked Image]

Dillsboro is a very small town...but very nice. It used to be the rail head for the Great Smokey Mountain Train...but the train moved to Bryson City (we'll visit that place later) and now it's just another stop for the train.

Looks like I was given some bad info and the event T140V-Rich was talking about will happen during the next couple of weekends.

[Linked Image]

I headed out of Dillsboro on Hwy 441 wink and then cut across on Hwy 116 to get to Hwy 107 and stay out of town. The plan was to take 107 South then Hwy 281, Hwy 64 to Cashiers, NC and then back home on Hwy 107 (if you're trying to follow the loop on Google maps)

Here's what greeted me when I turned onto Hwy 281...another way of saying "No Harleys"

[Linked Image]

I swear...for the most part Hwy 281 is like a race track...I only saw 2 other cars/trucks and a couple of motorcycles along the whole route...the roads are in GREAT shape except for one short section. LOTS of long sweeping curves with tight twisties thrown in here and there. Most of the time your looking down onto lakes or creeks...just beautiful. I passed several lakes along the way...stopped at this one.. Wolf Creek Lake to take some pictures.

[Linked Image]

Yep....I was on the VR...no modern or non Brit bikes were used in the making of this tale laughing

[Linked Image]

This is the other side of the dam that creates the lake....I wouldn't want to ride down that slope!!!!!

[Linked Image]

I REALLY would LOVE to show you how wonderful these roads are....but you just can't capture them on a photo...well at least I can't. I guess I'm going to have to put out for a video camera...then you guys and gals will really be in trouble. Here's an attempt at road shots. In this first shot, there's a really sharp right hander at the end of this set of curves.

[Linked Image]

It's hard to tell...but there are several curves in each of these photos...it's just to hard to capture..ya just gota be there.

[Linked Image]

Last lame attempt...if you can see a couple of curves in front of you...you're out of the twisties. This road is fast.....and sweet.

[Linked Image]

I ended up coming out on Hwy 64 and turned toward Cashiers....it was still a bit chilly in the mountains

[Linked Image]

Most of the time I just roll through Cashiers...maybe stop for gas but that's all. There's not much to the downtown area...nothing like Highland just down the road. But this time I needed gas and a bit of a warm up....my idea of an adult beverage

[Linked Image]

Okay....I only have 30 miles or so of riding left (gota get back and change the bike's oil) but there's still a lot of daylight left so I walk across the street...to have a look at this

[Linked Image]

This is smack dab in the middle of Cashiers...pretty much..there really is no middle of Cashiers it's all spread out...and not that much of it at all...but this park is really nice.

Lots of art...

[Linked Image]

Around every corner

[Linked Image]

This fellow looked cold

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/05/10 2:34 am.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
So did she.....

[Linked Image]

This little fellow was watching after the playground

[Linked Image]

Wish they would have had this kinda stuff when I was a kid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's also a walking trail....

[Linked Image]

That takes you all over Cashiers...I only did a little of it....the wet land

[Linked Image]

And the Rodies...hard to tell it's winter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well it was time to head back down the mountian...sun's getting low and I'm warmed up enough with all the walking around...it's time to go.

I just hope that you folks get to visit this part of the world some day...it's got the best motorcycle roads I've even ridden and the views are wonderful

Oh....and there's a BSA behind every bush...

[Linked Image]

Take care...your friend in NC, USA Gordon Gray

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/29/10 1:20 am.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........as Lannis says “Gordon is either all in or all out.....there’s no in between”
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You take good pictures, Goob. Back in my bachelor days, a bunch of us used to ski at a little place near Cashiers called Sapphire Valley. I think it's still there. Might be fun to check out for some entertainment this winter. Keep 'em comin'. Greg

72 TR6RV
2004 Thruxton
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon,

I never tire of looking at you pretty VR in the WIlderness. Keep 'em coming.

Greg/DPO - When are we going to go riding and meet this fine upstanding gentilman. I have this running Thunderbolt that shifts smooth as silk....

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hey G , This time o' year with that ice on the hill in the background , the "adult beverage" sounds like the choice of the day ... great pics !

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
Gordon,

Greg/DPO - When are we going to go riding and meet this fine upstanding gentilman. I have this running Thunderbolt that shifts smooth as silk....
Captain Bill, You will be advised when mission plans are confirmed. A possible trip to the Dillard House for lunch has been discussed. Gordon, my schedule is wide open, pick a day that works for you, and send me one of them E-lectronic mails. Greg

Last edited by GaCracker; 11/29/10 12:48 pm.

72 TR6RV
2004 Thruxton
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Gordon dude, you REALLY are da man :bigt

Now tell me lad..? That there motorsickle of yours, is it the very same one in this here photo...

[Linked Image]

And IF it is the same one, whatever happened to the sticker...

[Linked Image]

I tell ya dude, that machine sounded just fantastic, and took my Geordie all over the place, why it even got us to the Kane View motel. Where I found that Vibrating bed, 15 minutes of vibrating fun for 25c wink

[Linked Image]

I've said it before, and I'm gonna say it again, I couldn't believe that someone would loan out their bike, to a complete stranger shocked And thanks to you lad, we ALL had a fantastic time :bigt

If you ever cross the pond, you'll ALWAYS have a BSA to ride lad, you can count on it...

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Born To Run
Born To Run
One more and I'll promise to stop for a while. smirk

Please,PLEASE, don't stop!!!! beerchug clap

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
"I REALLY would LOVE to show you how wonderful these roads are..."

Isn't North Carolina known for their terrific roads and education?

I'm still working on your crab photo for you...and please do keep the pictures and tales coming.

From the other half of your state...Josh

Josh
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just now caught this thread, Gordon and I'm glad you were able to make something of a bad situation. Your pics really made me think it's been entirely too long since I've hit some mountain twisties..

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Life member
Life member
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Gordon dude, you REALLY are da man :bigt

Now tell me lad..? That there motorsickle of yours, is it the very same one in this here photo...

And IF it is the same one, whatever happened to the sticker...

[Linked Image]

I totally understand Shauns concern, that sticker is almost unique.

Just 5 were made for certain participants in the 2006 BSA USA International Rally Brimfield Massachusets namely M21Geoff & Sara, three to Lannis for himself & the bikes loaned to Shaun & the Geordie and one for the Flash & a Box

[Linked Image]

BeezaBryan

D
DPO Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by GaCracker
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
Gordon,

Captain Bill, You will be advised when mission plans are confirmed. A possible trip to the Dillard House for lunch has been discussed. Gordon, my schedule is wide open, pick a day that works for you, and send me one of them E-lectronic mails. Greg

My '72 is still awaiting parts for the engine that's apart again, paint, and so on, but the America is up and ready....Will have to be around 60 degrees for me though....

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
1968 BSA Firebird “Scrambler”
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...snip...Now tell me lad..? That there motorsickle of yours, is it the very same one in this here photo...

[Linked Image]

Hey Shaun...sorry for the slow reply. I got REALLY busy at work this past week but now I'm home for the weekend and next to a computer for a couple of days so I can catch up.

YES....same bike and I was happy to help.

The decal....well...just be glad you took pictures of it. It's kinda like that Three State Mountain Ride pin I sent ya...the one you don't wear (which I completely understand and agree with your reason). I didn't want to go that rally...something I haven't regreted. I'm happy a lot of folks went and had a good time...it just wasn't my cup of tea. Soooo...what was I gona do??? Imagine this at a gas stop....

Local: Hey man....cool bike. My brother had one just like it but I think it was a Triumph.

Me: That's neat.

Local: Hey man...that's a cool decal...what's a Brimfield?

Me: Uh....something I didn't go to....just got the decal.

Ya see????

Take care.....Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/03/10 9:07 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
DPO - Buy some battery powered Gerbings(vest and gloves)!!!!! Carry and extra battery or two and stay warm all day!

Saturday the 11th is now OPEN.

(Standing by-waits for stars to align-looks for excuses to go ride)

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 12/03/10 11:41 pm.
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by DPO
....snip....Will have to be around 60 degrees for me though....

Oh no DPO....not 60!!!!! That's almost too hot to travel. laughing Start out in the lower 30s....and by the time it gets to 40 you're just getting used to it. We gota talk.

I'm out for the weekend of the 11th...gota move my daughter out of NC State...she's changing schools crazy. Guess she's tired of being part of the "pack". I always wondered if that made her a "packer"?????

I should/could be able to make it the 19th.....lunch at the Dillard House???

Take care....your friend in NC, USA Gordon Gray

Life member
Life member
...snip...Now tell me lad..? That there motorsickle of yours, is it the very same one in this here photo...

[Linked Image]

Hey Shaun...sorry for the slow reply. I got REALLY busy at work this past week but now I'm home for the weekend and next to a computer for a couple of days so I can catch up.

YES....same bike and I was happy to help.

The decal....well...just be glad you took pictures of it. It's kinda like that Three State Mountain Ride pin I sent ya...the one you don't wear (which I completely understand and agree with your reason). I didn't want to go that rally...something I haven't regreted. I'm happy a lot of folks went and had a good time...it just wasn't my cup of tea. Soooo...what was I gona do??? Imagine this at a gas stop....

Local: Hey man....cool bike. My brother had one just like it but I think it was a Triumph.

Me: That's neat.

Local: Hey man...that's a cool decal...what's a Brimfield?

Me: Uh....something I didn't go to....just got the decal.

Ya see????

Take care.....Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Sad to see one of my decals is no more but I totally understand, same way I will not wear the TSMR badge you gave me at Mid Ohio 2008.
However the TSMR 2010 badge is worn with pride :bigt
Once there were 5 now there are 4, I know there is still one on Lannis' Mighty Commander, not sure about the other, the Geoff & Sara Flying Wardrobe still has one as does the Flash & a Box

Memories of happy days beerchug

Last edited by beezabryan1; 12/04/10 9:42 am.

BeezaBryan

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Sunday the 19th is fine for me, as long as it's not raining. 200 miles of cold rain on the bike would be rough. If the weather is bad, I'd be willing to drive up for a good meal with a buddy. Greg

72 TR6RV
2004 Thruxton
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Bryan wrote:

"Sad to see one of my decals is no more but I totally understand, same way I will not wear the TSMR badge you gave me at Mid Ohio 2008."

Bryan...had I known a little about the decal it probably would still be on the tank and the tank would be in the UK. I had no clue it was special and just figured it was a give away from Brimfield. frown

The main thing was/is....I don't do decals, pretty much on anything I own except for my tool boxes. No bumper stickers on any of the cars/trucks I've ever owned...and no decals of any kind on the windows. For those that know me...my bikes are the same way. I don't do decals, even the ones that are supposed to be on the bike unless they were on there when I got it. frown

If I'd known.....I'd just swapped out and sent the tank to somebody that the decal meant something to..I just didn't know.

Now I'm sad about it too.. frown...G

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/04/10 6:23 pm.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member

Sunday the 19th is fine for me, as long as it's not raining. 200 miles of cold rain on the bike would be rough. If the weather is bad, I'd be willing to drive up for a good meal with a buddy. Greg

Okay buddy....we're on and we'll watch the weather...I really don't mind the cold until it dips under 25 or so.....but rain AND 30s crazy are no fun so we'll keep an eye on it.

Take care....your friend in NC...Gordon

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Is this a private party? What if a misplaced yankee just happened to show up?

Mike

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Bring it on, Mike. Be warned though, no metrosexual art food on the menu. laughing Greg

72 TR6RV
2004 Thruxton
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Bring it on, Mike. Be warned though, no metrosexual art food on the menu. laughing Greg

Didn't expect any, Greg. Once clear of downtown Asheville, you don't see that stuff again till you get to San Fransisco. Hope to make it.

Mike

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Hey Greg....I can 100% vouch for our friend Mike... :bigt ... he's one of the good guys. smile

Sounds like we have a plan.....and if it works out Mike and I can ride down together. WAIT....YIKES!!!!! I mean ride DIFFERENT bikes at the same time...gota be careful with all that metrosexual talk going around. laughing

Take care...your friend Gordon

Paddle faster......I hear banjos!!!!!

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/04/10 2:55 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
laughing Speaking of banjers, while we're up there, we can check out Tallulah Falls. Parts of Deliverance were filmed there. I hope the 19th is good for Bill and Mark, the more the better. Greg

Last edited by GaCracker; 12/04/10 5:36 pm.

72 TR6RV
2004 Thruxton
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
laughing Speaking of banjers, while we're up there, we can check out Tallulah Falls. Parts of Deliverance were filmed there. I hope the 19th is good for Bill and Mark, the more the better. Greg

Okay....Greg said it....."the more the better". I agree and I'm inviting ANYBODY within shouting distance to join us for lunch at the Dillard house located in beautiful Dillard, Ga (never thought a Florida boy would be bragging on Georgia smirk will wonders never end?) http://www.dillardhouse.com/restaurant/index.php on December 19th (date may change...we'll keep ya posted).

Come on y'all...it's ain't that cold out there. Well...it is snowing here in Wilkesboro as I type whistle but hey....it'll probably stop by the 19th.

Hey Shaun and Kev.....here's a real southern (Dillard House) breakfast for ya

[Linked Image]

Take care....your friend in NC, USA Gordon Gray

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/04/10 6:09 pm.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com