Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gary Caines, Magnetoman), 21 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#320688 06/28/10 11:52 pm
R
RPM Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Had a great time at the Hillclimb yesterday. I did not ride this year (sold my bike I rode last year) There were 10 vintage entries. Hillclimb veteran Chuck Lee rode the vintage class for the first time this year and was very fast all week. Eddie Mulder knew he had a race this year and was up for it at 67 years young. Eddie qualified fastest but Chucks practice times were better in most sections. On race day the bikes ran after the cars so we waited all day and just about the time everyone gridded up the clouds blew in and the temperature dropped about 10 degrees. Luckily the rain held off on the course and they dropped the flag. Eddie got the holeshot followed by Chuck with Mickey Alzalo bumping bars with Bobby Spann of Sharkfin racing. I met Bobby last year at the Hillclimb when he loaned me a mainshaft after I spun a clutch hub in practice. Bobby is a ice racing champion from Colorado and loves to race. I helped him with a motor rebuild this year and went to lend a hand for the weekend. You can not see much of the race from the pits so you have to listen to the radio to get results. Chuck was the first to the top with a time of 12:58 followed by Eddie Mulder With Mickey and Bobby only seconds apart after twelve miles of racing. Bobby did a 14:06 his fastest time ever and riding a stock framed 1970 Triumph against the ultra modern top three bikes in the class. You need to go to this event!
The vintage class rules at Pikes Peak says the rider has to be 50 years old. We are pushing for a 50 and under vintage class for next year. If you are interested please let me know. It takes a full week to go and run the hill but is worth the time and effort. There is more pavement being laid down this year and the road should be all pavement by 2012. I know every year I go, I can not think about anything else for weeks. It is a awesome place!

Last edited by RPM; 06/29/10 12:54 am.
British motorcycles on eBay
RPM #320698 06/29/10 1:10 am
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Count me in in the years to come keith if they change they age limit ,if not im there soon any way.:-)sounds like alot of fun.

Last edited by phantom309; 06/29/10 1:10 am.

Tim Joyce
sponsors
[email protected] cycles
Works shocks
Glass from the past
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Love to able to spectate, but doesn't seem to be a spectator type event which is understandable considering the distance and long climb.

P.S. I would have thought it better unpaved rather than all paved give the sliders a better chance but waht do I know grin

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Very cool Keith, thanks for the report.
I'd be interested if they get the age limit changed.
40+ I qualify for. :-)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yeah, I thought the mix of surfaces made it all the better and more challenging, not that it isn't challenging enough as it is. I wouldn't mind giving it a go if they add a 50- class. Still got a ways to go to hit 40.

t.read #320949 06/30/10 12:33 pm
R
RPM Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
The unpaved sections are more gravel than dirt. Try riding on a gravel road at 90mph. I don't like it.

Jack Wilson used to say " Dirt is for worms and taters, asphalt is for racing"

All pavement means you can ride your roadracer and not have to have a special built bike.

RPM #320954 06/30/10 1:23 pm
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Originally Posted by RPM
The unpaved sections are more gravel than dirt. Try riding on a gravel road at 90mph. I don't like it.

I wouldn't either, that's why I would rather be a spectater rather than a rider.

Have to say though that I'm very impressed with riders who do that. With all due respect, isn't that the reason Eddie Mulder has won the vintage class of Pike's Peak so many times when it was mostly gravel he being a great flattracker back in the day...?

P.S. I enjoyed this interview with a young looking Eddie Mulder (can't believe that he's 66 years old!) http://www.blip.tv/file/1634338

Last edited by Britbodger; 06/30/10 1:51 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Britbodger
Originally Posted by RPM

I wouldn't either, that's why I would rather be a spectater rather than a rider.

Have to say though that I'm very impressed with riders who do that. With all due respect, isn't that the reason Eddie Mulder has won the vintage class of Pike's Peak so many times when it was mostly gravel he being a great flattracker back in the day...?

P.S. I enjoyed this interview with a young looking Eddie Mulder (can't believe that he's 66 years old!) http://www.blip.tv/file/1634338

I though it was "Dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there!"

So Eddie got beat, huh? Well, maybe folks will stop asking him to quit racing Pike's Peak. I read an article a while back in which the other usual vintage racers were asking them to disqualify Eddie because he had dominated the race for so long. Eddie's reply was: "I'm sixty f-ing six years old! Do they think that just because I once held a national number that my sh!t comes out in plastic bags?"

I hope I have that kind of spunk when I'm 66!

Kyle#44x

1969 T100R Daytona
2005 CRF450 flattracker (w/Athena 490 big bore)
2002 Yamaha TTR250 (woods/hare scramble)

Moderated by  Allan G 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com