Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/31/23 2:14 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 77
DavidP 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
BSA A65 rebuild, Dan Haggard, Padsdad, sam keller, Raz
12,386 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,525
Posts783,968
Members12,386
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
It has to be at least partly Shaun's fault for posting all those pictures of BSA's at the NZ rally. Now I want a BSA...I don't know which one but I want one. I have always had a soft spot for them mainly beacause it was the first REAL motorcycle I ever had a ride on...My older brothers Golden Flash, at least I think that's what it was.
This would be the culprit here...

[Linked Image]

75 Norton Commando Mark II
75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's ok Mr Martini, we're here for you. You just got to keep the urges under control. I actually have a bit of a BSA problem myself, ever since I got a copy of Bob Currie's "Great British Motorcycles of the Fifties" and saw the BSA B31. I want one of those SO bad.

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I think I need to get some good BSA reading material and do some research.

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
DM, I gotta admit I am a proud BSA nutter and there aren't many models they produced that I wouldn't wanna own but IMO your brothers machine would be about as good a choice a guy could make . I can't walk past one without taking pause .

FWIW-BONZO

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have to say; that BSA is directly resposible for my motorcycle addiction!

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Owes beer's to admin
Owes beer's to admin
dirtymartini lad, so that'll be another beer you owe me then laughing

Now lad, consider this, and I'm only trying to help y'all here. Think about what type of riding you'll be doing, the A10 is indeed a mighty fine beast, BUT, and that there is a big but lad. Why not consider a Commander? A10's and A65's are two a nickle over there, so getting a fine M21 will see you with something a tad different, a reliable machine, and long distance rider. Keep off them interstates and you'll have a blast :bigt

Course we can now wait for the speed freaks, who'll tell you they're slow, and they can't do the miles? Funny that? Cos I took one mighty fine example from Altoona to Brimfield to Niagra, then down to Ohio, then back to Altoona, and LOVED every second of it grin

So lad, to re-cap, THINK about what type of riding you'll be doing, and what you want out of a machine, all chrome and sparkle will see you crying in your Ale after a LONG ride. But something a tad different, that's RELIABLE will see that Ale being bought for you.

Only sayin' Dude, but whatever you do, TAKE A CAMERA with ya. As long as we can see what you're up too lad, we'll be happy wink

[Linked Image]

Course if you want to know how to mend tyres, get a Triumph laughing

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well then Shaun I'll have a whole 5 gal keg waiting for you over here beerchug I need to do some reading and research on the one lunger BSA's. M21, B33, what's it all about?

I have had enough fast bikes in my life, I'm enjoying going a little slower these days.

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Owes beer's to admin
Owes beer's to admin
dirtymartini lad, would that be American gallons lad frown Couldn't get English gallons could you grin I MIGHT be coming over with a mate :bigt And he loves nothing more than FREE Ale, course he'll TRY to talk you into a Pre-Unit Triumph, but all you got to remind him of, is punctures, and he'll soon stop that lark lad wink

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I did forget about the "Imperial" gallon now didn't I? Well I guess I'll have to brew a double batch then. pint pint I do have a tire changer in my garage for those puncture prone Triumphs laughing

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
what shaun says is very wize i have a a10r ans a65l but im now building a m21 (comander) with chair it will be different from what im used to hossin down motorways

i also have a b31 and that is a superb bike over enginered and the engine is not stressed its relable all i do is change the oil sometimes, i can plod about on it around 50mph its happy all day. i keep it in oily rag original condition.

[Linked Image]

keep'a'troshin

Keep'a'troshin
BSA A10R 1961
BSA B31 1956
BSA D7 1966
BSA D10S 1967
BSA M21 1953
BSA A10 Golden Flash 1954
BMW R80/7 1980
BMW R100RT 1983
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
BSA's are good sound bikes the B31 is a solid motor for the first bike .

PJ

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I need to read up on BSA singles, can anybody recommend a good book?

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by dirtymartini
I need to read up on BSA singles, can anybody recommend a good book?

bsa singles restoration by Roy Bacon, its a good inch thick.

http://www.britcycle.com/products/roy_bacon.htm

Keep'a'troshin
BSA A10R 1961
BSA B31 1956
BSA D7 1966
BSA D10S 1967
BSA M21 1953
BSA A10 Golden Flash 1954
BMW R80/7 1980
BMW R100RT 1983
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
(shhhhhh.... subliminal message.... twins , two cylinders, all the best stuff comes in pairs ,think dolly parton..... )

Owes beer's to admin
Owes beer's to admin
Never you mind about that subliminal message my lad, consider this...

I have both, a twin AND a single, and I LOVE em BOTH as much. BUT, and that there is a cool and calm sort of but, if after a hard week in the hell hole, I want to chill out. Out comes the Commander, the beat of that engine REALLY slows the heart beat. There's nothing on this sweet sweet Earth better than that, Doff Doff Doff sound I tells ya :bigt Try it, sit there and say it, go on lad, see it DOES slow the heat rate wink

Course IF you find this a problem to make up your mind, the simple answer is to get BOTH, then you've got the best of both worlds, and if you got three you could have a shiny one as well :bigt

So lad, I would recommend these three...

M21, Bimberling and enjoying

A10, ditto

A65, shiny bike. Cos we ALL know they blow up loads, don't we laughing

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I just happened to hear about a 1965 Thunderbolt Rocket sitting in a barn, I might have to go look at it. Apparently the owner died a few years back and it's been sitting in the barn since. I talked with the son of the owner who really didn't know much about it other than it was blue, didn't have many miles and had some sort of saddlebags on it. Worth having a look anyway....

Last edited by dirtymartini; 04/20/10 8:49 am.

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Owes beer's to admin
Owes beer's to admin
dirtymartini lad, PLEASE take a camera, then we call ALL look at it :bigt

Good luck lad, hope it's what you're after, if it's right you'll KNOW, you'll get that 'feeling' lad. You know, the feeling that means you'll soon have no money in the bank, and the wife is moaning all the time... Hang on... That's what they do anyway! Well you know what I mean grin

Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
I just happened to hear about a 1965 Thunderbolt Rocket sitting in a barn, I might have to go look at it. Apparently the owner died a few years back and it's been sitting in the barn since. I talked with the son of the owner who really didn't know much about it other than it was blue, didn't have many miles and had some sort of saddlebags on it. Worth having a look anyway....

Well, I REALLY hope you find that you've got a deal there.... I haven't had any luck with "son or widow selling Dad's old bike".

There's always someone who's told them that it's worth a fortune, and warn that people will come there trying to talk them out of it for $1000, but it's worth 10 times that, look here at this one on eBay, see? So hang on to it, don't let it go ....

But good luck with it! Take a picture so we can all dream of that "barn find".

Lannis

Patriotism is supporting your country all of the time and your government when it deserves it.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks Lannis, I don't have high hopes but figured it was worth a look. They had it advertised on craigslist for too much money and nobody responded. When I called she said she realized she was asking too much and would sell for much less. I still don't have high hopes but it ought to be a nice ride...it's way out in northeast PA, near the PA/NY border.

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Martini Lad,

Pay no heed to what Exocet tells you about me. Mind you. it *will* be your round when we come over there Lad. That's just tradition.

Now then, if you don't already know why you should have a Pre-Unit Triumph, yer already a lost cause, so you won't find *me* trying to tells ya.

But - There is a *reason* BSA's are cheaper, don'cha know? laughing

Last edited by Graham Ham; 04/20/10 7:09 pm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C7CZYL?ref_=dbs_r_series&storeType=ebooks

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
hey dirtymartini lad,so you want a beeza,well in my experiences with BSAs,my biggest disapointement is with my B33,i like big singles but this one dosent cut the mustard for me,however my WM20 is like my favorite arm chair(takes a lot to move it)and will go anywhere at 45-50. The often overlooked unit singles are a good bet the B25 250 starfire is a cracking machine as are B40s and C15s if you want a twin get a Triumph!My own choice would be a 350 or 500 Ariel,but them i,m biased!
P.S if you want a good book try"Lady Chatterleys lover" laughing

Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Thanks Lannis, I don't have high hopes but figured it was worth a look. They had it advertised on craigslist for too much money and nobody responded. When I called she said she realized she was asking too much and would sell for much less. I still don't have high hopes but it ought to be a nice ride...it's way out in northeast PA, near the PA/NY border.

That's beautiful country and a lot of nice ways to get there, as I found on our way to the BSA International.

I'd put cash in my pocket and show up with a truck or trailer. When the seller SEES the cash in your hand (and I don't mean just imply that you've got it in your pocket or mention it on the phone, I mean she can see the color of it and smell it), she will IMMEDIATELY see the thing she will buy with the cash TONIGHT or TOMORROW and compare it to that dusty old bike that's been sitting in the shed for 23 years, and you're in like Flynn ...

Lannis

Patriotism is supporting your country all of the time and your government when it deserves it.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by baza57
!
P.S if you want a good book try"Lady Chatterleys lover" laughing

laughing laughing laughing

Get yourself over here and the beers on me!

75 Penton Mint 400
'72 Ossa MAR
1975 OSSA Super Pioneer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I liked my a65's, but loved my A10's. Appreciate my Goldie. Never had a chance to try a ride on a M20 or M21....

I guess the closest I'll get, is my '48 AJS... LONG stroke single...

My experience with trumpets, is they are turnips... But, there MUST have been some of 'em that did SOME good for some people, so many want one again.... or is their first choice to break into brit biking...
No, I'm not trying to start any kind of verbal warfare. I'm just stating what MY experience with them was... Vaguely...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Don't worry Mr Martini lad, this insanity will end the moment you drag one home!

Next time you mix A Martini, try a green cardomon or two instead of the olive...

''Then out spake brave Horatius, the captain of the Gate: To every man upon this earth death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?''
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com