Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom A65LR, Bill Bassett, Triless, John Harvey), 21 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#300444 02/25/10 10:29 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yesterday I received my latest issue of Cycle World magazine and it has a great article by Kevin Cameron on Albert Gunter. Most of us know he was one of the riders in the Ascot 'Gold Star Wrecking Crew' in the '60s. Not only was he a good rider, but also a very inventive race bike builder and tuner. Buy a copy of CW if you don't get it in the mail.

There's also a photo in the article of Ken Maely, the 'Steel Shoe Man' at work at the races. A few years ago, an evening after one of Joel's practice rides on Ken's track near Corona, CA we were having a cool one and chatting with Ken in his shop about the old days. He was a friend of Gunter and he told us about that tragic time when Gunter 'offed' himself after being paralyzed in a racing crash.
And then sadly only a few days later Ken's heart gave up and another DTr legend was gone.

I remember watching Gunter, Dick Mann, Neil Keen and the other GN guys 'cherry picking' the Kansas County Fair 1/2 Miles during The Era picking up a few dollars when they were traveling to/from the Nationals. I and my pals would hang on the pit railing with bug eyes... How do de go so Fast?

Last edited by dave - NV; 02/26/10 6:32 am.

Dave - NV
British motorcycles on eBay
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
That WAS a good article. I had read a biography of Al Gunter somewhere, but it was good to see him recognized again among all the big riding stars of my childhood!

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I'll definitely get that issue Dave! I've always been interested in flattracking - especially in the "Golden" era!

beerchug

Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
which month is the issue? i like to get the magazine

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support Britbike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British motorcycle forum on Facebook
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Morgan .. If you can't find the April issue of Cycle World with the Al Gunter article, let me know and I'll send you a copy.

here's the CW web page, but I see no mention of the gunter article. maybe later?
http://www.cycleworld.com/

A good read about another admired racer Dick Mann, is the book 'Mann of His Time' by Ed Youngblood.

Dave - NV
Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
Dave I have read the Mann of his time. excellent reading.
I also read the book about BlackBart Markel that was a gift from Dan Rouit. Dan sent me a throphy won by Chris Drayyer in '67 or so and while reading the book i noticed Bart came on Chris who went in the fence and got his arm ripped off... bad accident.

By bike was ridden by Louis Kramer and I have a signed photo by him With Louis winning over Bart in 1957. GS'ers beating HD's is always fun... smile
I'm not sure Cycle world is available here so please send it and I'll paypal you whatever it costs. Many thanks in advance.
Morgan Johansson
Hultvägen 17,
43364 Sävedalen,
Sweden

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Morgan .. I'll put a copy of the magazine in the mail to you this week.
Also .. do you still need some of those low cost US size 8 inch x 10 inch photo frames? Our local Office Supply store is again stocking them. How many would you like?
Anything else?

No charge .. payback time.

Last edited by dave - NV; 02/26/10 10:02 pm.

Dave - NV
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'll definitley have to pick up a copy of that one... By the way, Dave, we're having a good ol' fashioned Kansas Fair Circuit again this year. I think the order is Liberal, Dodge City, Colby, Oberlin, Norton, and the 2-day big finale at Stockton! All in a row... Great racing!

Was a blast last year... we had Carr, Kopp, and Halbert show up!

Kyle#44x

Kyle#44x

1969 T100R Daytona
2005 CRF450 flattracker (w/Athena 490 big bore)
2002 Yamaha TTR250 (woods/hare scramble)
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hello Morgan .. My gifts of the Cycle World magazine with the Al Gunter article and some other 'stuff' went out Priority USPS in yesterdays mail. Email me when it arrives.

Kyle... Will you be riding the 'county fair' 1/2 Miles this summer? Sounds like great fun! If you do, we sure would enjoy hearing your 'race reports'.
Sadly we'll not be able to visit as son Joel hasn't been racing since his 'get off' injuries in '08 at Willow Springs.

Last edited by dave - NV; 03/10/10 7:41 pm.

Dave - NV
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hey Dave... I hope Joel is doing ok, I remember the get off. I just haven't been poking around the site as much as I used to and figured he was back at it. That was a rough one though and I wouldn't blame him for hanging up the steel shoe.

I'm going to try to race the 1/2 mile fair races later in the summer, but I have a lot of racing to do between now and then. Probably depends on if my motor stays together and if I can afford it. 13:1 top end on a vintage air cooled Honder single might not last the summer! Sure sounds sweet at 10k with that big ol' bird pipe though!

Take care,
Kyle

Last edited by kboyd; 03/19/10 2:53 pm.

Kyle#44x

1969 T100R Daytona
2005 CRF450 flattracker (w/Athena 490 big bore)
2002 Yamaha TTR250 (woods/hare scramble)
Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
Dave

I have not been reading this topic for a while and missed your last two replies.
Thanks so much for the stuff you send. the Al G article was real good. I sent you an email.
Cheers
Morgan

Last edited by Morgan; 03/19/10 5:33 pm.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I missed that as well...

Anyway, hope that Joel has made a complete recovery and maybe will be racing again soon although it is appreciated that his wife and yourself Dave, not to mention his friends, have mixed feelings about that!

beerchug

Moderated by  Allan G 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com